Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,011 times

Advertisements

I am just curious if users of this site have any comments or suggestions for some one looking to move to the Detroit area from another usually maligned city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM

9,474 posts, read 10,818,295 times
Wow talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. Im sure you know that the economy of the Detroit area is terrible right now. Just wondering why you would choose to move to Detroit? If you have a job lined up I would suggest Detroits northern suburbs. Novi, Northville, Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield to name just a few. These are nice areas, safe and clean. If you do not have a job lined up yet, then I would not move to Michigan at all. Our unemployment rate is outrageous, and unless you have a skill that is in high demand (like health care) then you will likely join the ranks of Michigans jobless. Good luck in your endevor.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
SE michigan is filled with wonderful towns. You cna find any type of lifestyle that you are looking for. Downtown Detroit is pretty neat too, just stay away from the outer neighborhoods. There are so many great places to live in Michigan that I wish I could live my life a few extra times just so that i could try living in more of the terrific areas.

By the way. Did anyone tell you about winter? It is pretty neat if you like it, but it could be a shcock to the unwary.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:15 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,397,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
SE michigan is filled with wonderful towns. You cna find any type of lifestyle that you are looking for. Downtown Detroit is pretty neat too, just stay away from the outer neighborhoods. There are so many great places to live in Michigan that I wish I could live my life a few extra times just so that i could try living in more of the terrific areas.

By the way. Did anyone tell you about winter? It is pretty neat if you like it, but it could be a shcock to the unwary.
outer neighborhoods?

so I guess you have to stay away from corktown, the villages, east english village, rosedale park, midtown, hartbortown, new center etc???? smh

Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,492,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
outer neighborhoods?

so I guess you have to stay away from corktown, the villages, east english village, rosedale park, midtown, hartbortown, new center etc???? smh
Hey DetroitLove, I think we're all on same page here. No need to jump in on each other. Detroit has some great neighborhoods and I think CJ knows that. Downtown doesn't get enough credit for how cool it is, and by that same token, the neighborhoods and districts you mention are also up there on the list of places I would recommend. No doubt, the suburbs also have a lot to offer.

To the original poster: Detroit has soul, just like New Orleans. It is a great city despite its problems. I think the two cities are comparable because they are real. Someone once said that New York is talk, L.A. is hype, and the rest are real. I've been to New Orleans several times and I love it for the same reason I love Detroit- because it is genuine. There's nothing fancy about Detroit, just like New Orleans. These two cities make people curious; Detroit's name alone draws intrigue. Detroit is gritty and true to its roots. It is a creative place, and it is an incubator for innovation. Detroit will make you work, make you think, and may make you strong. Although very different, Detroit and New Orleans are from the same DNA. Both have rich history, both were settled by the French, both are down-to-earth, and both are resiliant. If you love New Orleans, you will love Detroit.

If you have more background information, please provide it if you want more suggestions about places to live, work, and have a good time.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 PM

21,158 posts, read 19,753,224 times
You won't have to worry about hurricanes anymore. (Just watch out for the "natural" urban wildfires. )

But unfortunately, girls won't show you their t!ts for beaded necklaces. (At least it hasn't worked for me yet. )

Oh, and if you're thinking about Royal Oak, don't park your car on the lawn please.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,397,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Hey DetroitLove, I think we're all on same page here. No need to jump in on each other. Detroit has some great neighborhoods and I think CJ knows that. Downtown doesn't get enough credit for how cool it is, and by that same token, the neighborhoods and districts you mention are also up there on the list of places I would recommend. No doubt, the suburbs also have a lot to offer.

To the original poster: Detroit has soul, just like New Orleans. It is a great city despite its problems. I think the two cities are comparable because they are real. Someone once said that New York is talk, L.A. is hype, and the rest are real. I've been to New Orleans several times and I love it for the same reason I love Detroit- because it is genuine. There's nothing fancy about Detroit, just like New Orleans. These two cities make people curious; Detroit's name alone draws intrigue. Detroit is gritty and true to its roots. It is a creative place, and it is an incubator for innovation. Detroit will make you work, make you think, and may make you strong. Although very different, Detroit and New Orleans are from the same DNA. Both have rich history, both were settled by the French, both are down-to-earth, and both are resiliant. If you love New Orleans, you will love Detroit.

If you have more background information, please provide it if you want more suggestions about places to live, work, and have a good time.
True. Downtown doesn't get as much credit as it should but there are other areas in the city that are fine. That was my point.

I always kind of wished Detroit would have stayed a French colony longer. Maybe we'd speak French as a second language or Creole. That would be cool

Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Oh, and if you're thinking about Royal Oak, don't park your car on the lawn please.
Ohmigosh, JS was right! First house listing I pulled up when I typed in Royal Oak!

1324 West 13 Mile Rd, Royal Oak, MI, 48073 - MLS #210021598 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM

21,158 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

And on a real estate listing no less!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,068 times
That's what I was saying a long time ago about parking on lawns on mile roads. People used to do it all the time on 13 Mile over in Fraser and Roseville before it was made a five lane road, probably 15-20 years ago. Some areas south of 15 Mile in Clinton Township have very narrow streets and parking restrictions and lots of cars are parked on gravel on what would be a treelawn anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit