Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times

Advertisements

I disagree a job in Southfield you could live in Bloomfield Hills which is one of the most upscale areas and beutiful in the US. There are other cities as well like Birmingham or West Bloomfield. All overall safe,upscale,close to shops/restaurants so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM

21 posts, read 53,615 times
Default Thank you Daniella

Today I got the "armpit" comment about Detroit from two people . One is a friend at the Life Time Gym. He thinks the Lifetimes there must be dirty and run-down. Another person told me that if I moved, there would be random empty crack houses everywhere: a ghost city he called it. Boy.......some people shoudl keep there mouth shut when they DONT KNOW nothing outside their limited world.

I am thinking about buying inside AA and commute to Wyandotte 3 times a week (36 miles each way). This is just because AA is a safer market than Detroit, but I would definitelly rent in those places north of Southfield if I didn't have so much furniture. Besides, I NEED to set roots somewhere because I am not 22 and exploring the world. Somehow I am sure I will love AA.

Light at the end of the tunnel...after several nights of no sleep.
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times
Detroit is losing population and currently is trying new things to try and help itself. Not an ideal city for non Detrioters. If it can every turn around and become appealing to you then consider the city.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatrb View Post
I am thinking about buying inside AA and commute to Wyandotte 3 times a week (36 miles each way).
Wow. You must be getting paid pretty well to buy a home in A2 and spend booku amounts of $ on the gas it will cost you to do that commute. I guess it only being 3 times a week lessens the sting, but still.........unless you just enjoy being in your car or something.

From the way you're talking, this doesn't sound like a long term situation for you. People aren't usually so concerned about resale value of a home unless they're not gonna be there long. Is that the case, Paula? Because otherwise, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check out things a LOT closer to your places of business.

Anyway, glad you're reconsidering metro Detroit. Just don't go there and start comparing things to Minneapolis, because that's a sure fire way to get discouraged and homesick in a hurry. Get interested and involved with your new city and I think you'll enjoy it. Detroit is still a great area in many, many ways.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatrb View Post
I am a single woman hoping to move into a work field that is much better for me. The caveat: I have to relocate from beautiful Minneapolis to a place not too far from Southfield or Wyandotte.
I can't buy a house because I would lose my shirt again due to devaluation and I probably won't find a boyfriend either since everyone is broke, about to leave, married or ghetto.
What life hope is that for people that come to Detroit?.
Is this place such an armpit with no hope for the future that I won't be able to set roots in it? I really thought it was different, but reading your posts made me realize I could be making a huge mistake.

At the risk of burning all professional bridges I am staying here.
Thank you all for helping me reach that conclusion

Best decision you ever made. Stay Away from the hell hole know as SE MI

Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Wow! I love the LifeTime gym in my area and it's always well-kept.

Like every Metro area, there are good parts and there are bad parts. I'm a transplant too and I can totally see why moving here would be a radical change for some people. Minneapolis is a beautiful city; however, Detroit and the surrounding area has a lot of beauty too. I've found that you see in the city what you want to see.

If you look at it as being ugly, then you'll see all the bad stuff and little can redeem that image in your mind. If you look at it as being beautiful, then you'll actively seek out its treasures and accept that some places in the area have a lot of challenges that they need to address. There are so many hidden gems in the area.

I'm really not into cars and car culture, but I have managed to find places and experiences that really make this area seem like a special place to live in.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
This place just plain sucks. You're wise to avoid it.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
Default Wow

Detroit isn't a BAD city it has great sports restaurants places to live lovely people, and why turn down a great job? Don't listen to retards who don't like Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit