Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of Over the Air TV and Radio stations for southeast Michigan. Not sure how up to date it is.

Southeast Michigan Radio and TV Dial Guide - Michiguide.com Dials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Funny List.

WRIF - Active rock (as opposed to Passive Rock?).

One station is "Hot Adult comtemporary" and the next is "Adult Contemporary" The second must be for those cold adults. Is there a "smoking hot adult" station? Are these the X rated radio stations?

Also funny that "Hot Adult Contemproary" is WNIC. Maybe things have changed. I have not knowingly listened to WNIC in a decade or more, but it was better described as "Elevator Rock" back then. Sorry but "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" does not fall int my concept of Hot Contemprary Auldt music.

Although the descriptions are amusing, the list is useful. Thank you for posting it.

I am going to print it and try some of these out.

I did nto know that there were still so many broadcast TV channels. We have had cable for decades and I had no idea that so much broadcast TV was still around.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM

9 posts, read 22,017 times
Glad to hear you're interested in coming to my home state! I love Michigan. I live out of state right now but I always love to read info/news on Detroit since my husband and I want to go back in the next few years when our work will be able to permit it.

Anyway, congrats on getting a job! For your age group and being single you'll definitely like Royal Oak. It's basically in the middle of all freeways, easy access to other Metro Detroit areas, 15-20 mins drive to downtown Detroit. It's safe, pedestrian friendly on Main St. and there are a lot of restaurants/shops/bars. If you're not interested in a club, you can go to a brewery there or hang out at the movie theater, restaurant, coffee shops. That area is pretty diverse too so you won't run out of all kinds of restauratns. I think it's a great place for anyone looking for a little action but isn't too overwhelming. I used to live NYC and Royal Oak is a good place for someone who is used to the hustle and bustle but wants something not soo chaotic. I'm 31 now and married but I'd still consider that place as an option to move to when we go back.

And, you'll be close to a Trader Joe's.

Also, please don't let people who are cynical/negative in Mi get you down. There are a lot of folks in that state that get down on being in MI because it's cold, the economy sucks, and they hate driving. Everyone wants to move down south. Anyway, i've left MI a few times and i've been a cynic in the past. After moving so many times I really miss my home state and didn't realize how much I took the Great state of MI for granted. I forgot to stop and think that Michigan really has some pretty cool places. It's a beautiful state and people there are hardworking --but just don't know yet how awesome their state is because they've always lived there. during the summer, don't forget to visit Traverse City, Glen Lake, Sleeping Bear Dunes Upnorth!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
I would consider Ferndale if you're looking for a great night life/bar scene. It's just down the road from Royal Oak. Ferndale draws a great, down-to-earth (yet hip) crowd, with easy access to all freeways/major roads. (i-75, 696, Woodward). Plus there's plenty of bars, shops, and AMAZING restaurants. (Christine's Cuisine, Bangkok Cafe, The Fly Trap, Treat Dreams, Hambo...just to name a few).

Right downtown there's a Western Market as well as a general (spartan brand) store. Plus, Trader Joes and Westborn Market are about 2 or 3 miles (up Woodard) from Ferndale.

I'm 24 and work in Dearborn as well, but I chose to buy a house in Ferndale after renting for a few years. Royal Oak and Birmingham are really nice places, but Ferndale is a more progressive, up and coming community, (in my opinion).

Also, if you like Urbane, there is one in Ferndale - or you can get something a little nicer at the Lofts on 9 Mile. I believe those start at 1000/month?

Hope this helps!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM

102 posts, read 235,544 times
Good point - check out Urbane on Breckenridge in Ferndale. Nice little complex. You can walk to everything on 9 Mile/Woodward. Funny thing too - is the lights on Eight Mile are all timed well so it's often faster to take Eight Mile West to the Southfield (50mph the entire way) in the mornings than sit on 696 Westbound.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 AM

46 posts, read 121,005 times
It sounds like Royal Oak would be a great fit. Ann Arbor would be also but the drive will wear on you and you may start to regret it. Livonia and Canton.... a few others that were mentioned would be ok choices - when you have a family or don't need as much of a social life! Just suburbs and strip malls there and few good "pubs". I like Plymouth a lot for many of the same reasons I like Royal Oak but Royal Oak is more hip, more of a single vibe and has a few more bars/restaraunts to choose from. Plymouth is a smaller, pub hopping with a group of friends or couples crowd. A little more low key in my opinion. Have you considered Novi? It has more apt options for you and some good nightlife but without a real downtown area you won't have that same vibe as Royal Oak. Yeah, Royal Oak is my vote!
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Oh, believe me, everyone advocating for RO - that's my number one choice as well. Now the challenge is actually finding a place to live there!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 13,644 times
Congrats on the job! I too am starting a job with Ford starting at the end of January as a manufacturing/quality engineer. I am from a small town in Wisconsin, but I just got back from staying in Dearborn to look for places to live. My buddies and I went out in Dearborn itself and actually had a really good time. There are two colleges in Dearborn and the bar we went to had a younger crowd and was a lot of fun. I didn't like the places Dearborn had to offer to live so I looked elsewhere. I ended up finding a place in Royal Oak. I simply searched "bars/restaurants" on my phone and saw that Royal Oak was littered with them. I saw you mention Urbane earlier, and I actually checked out the places they had available. They most definitely try to appeal to a younger, more hip crowd. The places were nice with new appliances. But the places I saw you could most definitely tell just simply painted over old wood work and cabinets instead of replacing them and putting in new ones. I checked out Village Park of Royal Oaks and I really liked it. The apartments were bigger and everything was newer in them. The rent was a little more than Urbane, but only by $100 (840/month). And they waived all the initial fees because I am working at a preferred employer (Ford). The lofts in royal oak were very nice, but super expensive and there were none available at the time anyways. I also checked out Downtown Detroit. All the rumors of Detroit being a bad city for crime scared me at first, but I figured I would check it out anyways. The actual downtown of Detroit is quite nice and they are really making an effort to bring it around. However, any doubts I had were realized when my friends and I went to eat at Slows BBQ in Detroit. My friend's car got jacked into while we were eating at like 6pm! Luckily he didn't have anything to steal in his car and they simply just threw around some worthless papers. I know this may be a rare case, but for someone only visiting for a weekend, come on! As I said I'm from a small town in Wisconsin where people can leave there doors unlocked all day and not have to worry about anything.. This is obviously just all my opinion, but Royal Oak seems to be a solid choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Looked at Village Park...no 2-bathroom option

Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Actually, with the school starting back up, I am starting to appreciate the necessity of getting every minute of sleep possible. So I am beginning to seriously re-consider Dearborn again. Short of the Fairlane complexes, though, there is a dearth of options, so I may just end up at Fairlane Woods or Lincoln at Fairlane, expenses be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit