Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 562,711 times

Advertisements

I had no idea Beaner referred to Latin American coffee pickers. But Magellan's right; no need to beat up on the coffee shop formerly known as Beaners. Then again I'm not sure if anybody was. Just the fact that that happened.

As for the Irish slurs, it all has to do with perception. All that stuff you mentioned, michiganirish, were fighting words back in the day; now since nobody puts much stock in the jokes and such they become just so much conversational wallpaper. That's interesting about Paddy Wagon, though, it never even occurred to me. Which proves my point; those terms just don't push the buttons they used to. Hell, there are now more people of Irish descent in the US than there are Irish in Ireland. By the way, I'm half Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 AM

144 posts, read 546,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
I had no idea Beaner referred to Latin American coffee pickers. But Magellan's right; no need to beat up on the coffee shop formerly known as Beaners. Then again I'm not sure if anybody was. Just the fact that that happened.

As for the Irish slurs, it all has to do with perception. All that stuff you mentioned, michiganirish, were fighting words back in the day; now since dnobody puts much stock in the jokes and such they become just so much conversational wallpaper. That's interesting about Paddy Wagon, though, it never even occurred to me. Which proves my point; those terms just don't push the buttons they used to. Hell, there are now more people of Irish descent in the US than there are Irish in Ireland. By the way, I'm half Irish.
My Grandfather was a young boy when it was common to see "Help Wanted, No Irish Need Apply" (NINA)signs in windows of businesses in Boston. While they were angry about the unfairness they didn't whine about it. They rolled up their sleeves and set out to prove themselves. And prove themselves they did. Heck they ended up running New York City. Their would have been no railroads, coal miners, or canals in this country if it wasn't for the Irish.

I own an Irish retail website and we sell replicas of the NINA signs. It's one of our top sellers. The Irish went from unwanted to indespensable, that sign has now become a source of pride.

Butte, Motana was the most Irish city in America in 1900, the owner of the Anaconda Copper mines was Irish and he hired his countrymen to work because he knew they would get the job done.

Out of the 41 American Presidents 16 were of Irish decent. Not too shabby for a group of people that couldn't get a job in Boston.

My point is this: The Irish had pride in their ethincity and they took the blows and did what they had to do. They proved themselves without expecting someone else to make a way for them. They also ASSIMILATED. They became Americans first, Irish second. Perhaps if more of these people would do the same they'd find they wouldn't have to whine about a coffee shop named Beaners.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 41,368 times
'I'm not surprised at all by this situation. We are currently living in the Politically Incorrect era. People will get offended by any little thing and dicete the law into the tiny little blood cell. It's a smart move as Michiganirish said because it is an offensive term (in particularly courtesy of Carlos Mencia) and if they ever expanded into a area highly populated by Mexicans, any one of them could be offended by the name and want to sue them.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM

112 posts, read 348,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit#1 View Post
and if they ever expanded into a area highly populated by Mexicans, any one of them could be offended by the name and want to sue them.

And hopefully the judge would throw it out.

Never been to a Beaners but have heard their coffee is way better than SBUX.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM

133 posts, read 357,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganirish View Post
My Grandfather was a young boy when it was common to see "Help Wanted, No Irish Need Apply" (NINA)signs in windows of businesses in Boston. While they were angry about the unfairness they didn't whine about it. They rolled up their sleeves and set out to prove themselves. And prove themselves they did. Heck they ended up running New York City. Their would have been no railroads, coal miners, or canals in this country if it wasn't for the Irish.

I own an Irish retail website and we sell replicas of the NINA signs. It's one of our top sellers. The Irish went from unwanted to indespensable, that sign has now become a source of pride.

Butte, Motana was the most Irish city in America in 1900, the owner of the Anaconda Copper mines was Irish and he hired his countrymen to work because he knew they would get the job done.

Out of the 41 American Presidents 16 were of Irish decent. Not too shabby for a group of people that couldn't get a job in Boston.

My point is this: The Irish had pride in their ethincity and they took the blows and did what they had to do. They proved themselves without expecting someone else to make a way for them. They also ASSIMILATED. They became Americans first, Irish second. Perhaps if more of these people would do the same they'd find they wouldn't have to whine about a coffee shop named Beaners.

#1 couldn't have said it better.#2What is your company web address and #3 If more people learned to be as fiercely proud as the irish,Most of this garbage wouldn't be happening.I am proud irish,as my father and his was,we were taught when we were young never compromise what you believe is right,and i teach my little one's the same.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 AM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
I think pride based on ethnic and/or racial origin is silly. The concept of not "compromsing what you believe is right" has nothing to do with what ethnicity you are. It certainly isn't a virtue that is assignable by race or the national origin of one's relatives/ancestors.

Quote:
Heck they ended up running New York City. Their would have been no railroads, coal miners, or canals in this country if it wasn't for the Irish.
And I suppose there would be no cab drivers if it weren't for the Indians, Africans and Pakistanis? No nuclear weapons if it weren't for the Jewish? No independant grocery stores if it weren't for the Chaldeans? No gas stations if it weren't for the Lebanese? Come on. People get work where they can get it, and groups of immigrants live together and work in the same fields due to the necessity of establishing some kind of political influence and because of human nature. There would have been copper and iron mines in the UP whether there were Cornish miners to man them or not, just as there would have been railroads, coal miners and canals in this country, with or without the Irish, or any other specific ethnic group.

Last edited by and the; 10-21-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 AM

106 posts, read 414,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Yes, alot of people have very thin skin. Perhaps because these things really are offensive.
Umm, they're basically changing the name because people ignorantly think the name is a racial slur. It's clearly not. If you're offended by the name, then you are ignorant. Thus, the stupid people win again!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM

144 posts, read 546,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIhome View Post
#1 couldn't have said it better.#2What is your company web address and #3 If more people learned to be as fiercely proud as the irish,Most of this garbage wouldn't be happening.I am proud irish,as my father and his was,we were taught when we were young never compromise what you believe is right,and i teach my little one's the same.
Good for you..... and your right NEVER compomise your principals.

My URL is Celtic Shamrock Irish Gifts

Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 PM

64 posts, read 204,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I think pride based on ethnic and/or racial origin is silly. The concept of not "compromsing what you believe is right" has nothing to do with what ethnicity you are. It certainly isn't a virtue that is assignable by race or the national origin of one's relatives/ancestors.

And I suppose there would be no cab drivers if it weren't for the Indians, Africans and Pakistanis? No nuclear weapons if it weren't for the Jewish? No independant grocery stores if it weren't for the Chaldeans? No gas stations if it weren't for the Lebanese? Come on. People get work where they can get it, and groups of immigrants live together and work in the same fields due to the necessity of establishing some kind of political influence and because of human nature. There would have been copper and iron mines in the UP whether there were Cornish miners to man them or not, just as there would have been railroads, coal miners and canals in this country, with or without the Irish, or any other specific ethnic group.

Beat me to it. Great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit