Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

I know you can see some of it from the Dutton Road & Bald Mountain Road intersection on a clear day, which is about 28 miles as the crow flies. I'm just curious if there are any other locations further away (or at a similar distance) that you can see it from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Not sure how far it is, but from the hill top in Northville where the middle school is, you can see the bridge and Ren Cen. GOOGLE says it is a bit over 29 miles by road. Less if the crow is flying I think.
Suppose the higher you get the more you can see?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Eastbound M-14 at Ford Road - don't blink.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We can see it clearly from Grosse Ile. I think we are about 27 miles away by road, but a lot less as the crow flies.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 108,552 times
Howard ave Between Cabana And Devonshire Mall In Windsor is the farthest place from the skyline, its 7.5 miles.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
You can see it pretty clearly from the beach in Mt. Clemens. It's about 25-30 driving distance and 20 miles crow flies distance since it's almost strait across.

You can probably see the Detroit skyline anywhere in the Metro area (1 hour radius from downtown) if your high enough or it's enough empty space in that direction. I know you can see it from Ann Arbor, I don't know about Flint. I know in Flint at night time you can see the sky lit up from where Detroit is. And on a plane you can see the lights from Detroit way back as far as Lake Michigan. So the skyline you would probably be able to see from maybe Toldeo or even Jackson on a clear day if your high enough (like on a plane). That's just a guess, it's either always dark when I fly out of/into Detroit or I'm on the wrong side of the plane so I can't confirm this.

Edit: I tried posting pics from Metro Beach but it didn't go through for some reason.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
I remember when I was a freshman at the University of Michigan, and I saw the Renaissance Center from an apartment building in near the U of M campus.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313er View Post
Howard ave Between Cabana And Devonshire Mall In Windsor is the farthest place from the skyline, its 7.5 miles.

?

lol, no way. Here's where you're talking about. Google Maps

See the Ren Cen? It's still huge!

It's always easier to see at night of course, because of the rings. Christmas eve coming home from visiting family in Harrow around 10pm, I saw the Ren Cen between the trees, plain as day.

The best way to tell on the Canadian side, is to look down the rail corridor for VIA Rail. It is a clear, unobstructed view, pointed right at the Ren Cen.

Here's Banwell and the VIA rail tracks. Google Maps Still pretty big.

I'd go further, but that camera is junk. If you looked with the naked eye, you could keep going down the track and it would be perfectly clear for miles.

A really neat video, that shows very well how far Detroit can be seen, is this one here:

Great Lakes Sailing - St.Clair & Detroit Rivers HD time-lapse - YouTube

Watch it in full screen. At 03:23, the freighter is just leaving the St. Clair river.On the little spit of land on the left there is a marker light. Directly above the light, you can see some shapes. Keep your eye on those shapes! This is about 26 miles away.

I've even seen the blue rings at night (all blurred together), just over the tree tops from the 401 overpass......in Essex, 30 miles away! Google Maps

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
I've seen it from the Brown and Giddings area on the Auburn Hills/Orion Township border, about halfway between Lakes Crossing and the Palace. It's at a somewhat higher elevation than downtown which helps. My wife also says its visible from Stony Creek. Both are about where 26 Mile would be, latitudinally speaking.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Metro Beach
Harsens Island (mouth of the St. Clair River)
I-94 just east of I-275 before getting to the airport
Mound Rd. north of M-59
Mt. Sheldon inside Stoney Creek Metropark (in the fall/winter when the leaves are off the trees)
The tower at Chrysler CTC / Headquarters in Auburn Hills
Dutton Rd. east of M-24 Lapeer Road

I would think you might be able to see it from Pine Knob Ski area if it was clear enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit