Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 PM

424 posts, read 551,938 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a nanny for my children for the last six weeks. We have had four young women accept the job, and we negotiated salary & benefits, and they accepted after the negotiations. All four backed out immediately after finding out we will be paying by check, in a legal fashion, and that we will be paying taxes on their behalf.

I am left high and dry for the fourth time.

What a bunch of lowlife scum of the earth leeches.

I'm done venting.

The job has regularly scheduled hours, no weekends, paid vacation, two very well behaved kids, one in school at least half of the time, no crazy schedules, and only household duties pertaining to the kids. The neighborhood is upscale, safe, lots of parks. Our home is large, very clean, open, with lots of toys.

Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Perhaps put the fact that you will be documenting pay right up front? Apparently you haven't done that so far; otherwise the prospective nannies would have had the opportunity to back out right away.

Seems like a no-brainer. Is there a reason this hasn't been an option for you?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Yes, chiroptera, I started doing this today in the online job post.

I am just shocked that people don't want to get their social security credits. I makes a huge difference when you retire. It is usually characterized that the EMPLOYER does not want to pay nanny taxes, and I'm finding this is not the case, it is the lovely young 20 and 30 somethings that want cash.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
I have been looking for a nanny for my children for the last six weeks. We have had four young women accept the job, and we negotiated salary & benefits, and they accepted after the negotiations. All four backed out immediately after finding out we will be paying by check, in a legal fashion, and that we will be paying taxes on their behalf.

I'm done venting.

The job has regularly scheduled hours, no weekends, paid vacation, two very well behaved kids, one in school at least half of the time, no crazy schedules, and only household duties pertaining to the kids. The neighborhood is upscale, safe, lots of parks. Our home is large, very clean, open, with lots of toys.

Any advice??
Seems to be the American way. Afterall, if it good for Romney, BP, VERIZON, and other multi-millionares to avoid taxes and even get a REFUND, why not a lowly nanny who is being UNDERPAID at minimum wage by lowlife scum of the earth leeches?

Are you sure the labor just isn't seeing through the bigotry and hatered you have for manual labor as a whole? Perhaps by the end of the interview they feel as if they would be oppressed by the fascist demeaning ruler?

If you are indeed sincere (LOL) why not use an I-9 form?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, chiroptera, I started doing this today in the online job post.

I am just shocked that people don't want to get their social security credits. I makes a huge difference when you retire. It is usually characterized that the EMPLOYER does not want to pay nanny taxes, and I'm finding this is not the case, it is the lovely young 20 and 30 somethings that want cash.
This is an instant-gratification society.
For low-income, part time pay with no benefits that yo
u are offering, I would assume that most people will want anonymous income. I'm surprised you don't realise this. Just state clearly upfront what your parameters are...problem solved. Like I said, a no-brainer.

Welcome to the real world....

Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM

I am offering $15 per hour, up to two hundred per month for health insurance, and paid national holidays - new years eve and day, christmas even and day, thanksgiving day and the day after, columbus day, independence day, memorial day, easter friday and monday, presidents day.

this is not minimum wage. it is not part time pay. there are benefits.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM

oh, and also one to two paid weeks off per year as agreed.

this is a better option than most factory jobs. I am not an abusive employer.

These young ladies are the problems. They are leeches.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 PM

544 posts, read 901,009 times
Quote:

I'm done venting.

Any advice??
Are they in this country legally?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 PM

YES!!!!!

All documented. All passed an expensive background check done by an attorney's office.

All negotiated openly with me, with differing levels of pay and benefits to their needs. One had an expensive insurance policy and I agreed to pay for 90% of it.

This is a good job. All scheduled hours. I am not the "vacation in cancun and take my nanny for 24 hour care" kind.

There is a problem in my area.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I am offering $15 per hour, up to two hundred per month for health insurance, and paid national holidays - new years eve and day, christmas even and day, thanksgiving day and the day after, columbus day, independence day, memorial day, easter friday and monday, presidents day.

this is not minimum wage. it is not part time pay. there are benefits.
Then why don't you post all of this upfront?
That would eliminate all confusion.

I don't understand how you supposedly have all of this upfront, along with background checks and what have you, yet during this whole process people get taken by surprise.

You really need to be more transparent and honest in your hiring, and quit putting the blame on other people. You are the one that's in the wrong here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: