Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:40 PM

54 posts, read 51,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I'm not a social butterfly, but I do enjoy meeting people and hanging out from time to time. After being away for five years, moving back here has been like moving to a new area entirely. Sure, I have family and a few friends here, but I'm interested in branching out and meeting new people. I have lost interest in the friends I have here (we don't have much in common anymore) and my family isn't the most socially active either.

Here's what I've noticed about Metro Detroit as far as the social scene goes. People do definitely go out, I am not here to argue that they don't. All it takes is for one to visit places like Ferndale, Royal Oak, or Birmingham on a Saturday night to see this. However, it is not the easiest thing, at least to some of us, to inject yourself into another group of people you meet at a bar. There needs to be an environment where everybody is on the same page, where the expectation is that you've come together to meet these other people. So, I've been checking out sites like Meetup.com. I had a lot of success with that site when I was living in Denver. Not to say that Metro Detroit has nothing going on, but there are very few Meetup groups relative to other places I've been to. The few Meetup groups I've taken a shot at here usually consist of 40+ year old single people trying to get back out there.

So where are all the young people at that want to meet up with new people? I realize that what made the social scene in Denver more unique is because it's a city that attracts people from around the country, so there are a lot of transients there looking to build new relationships near their new home. I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me. So is this socially reclusive behavior a Midwest/Detroit thing? Are people more reserved here?

Honestly, this is less a critique of the area than it is a request for help. I would really like to know where I can find younger people in the area that are open to embracing someone new into their group. I would like to have friends here if at all possible.
There are lots of places around WSU where you can meet people. Downtown has some cool spots too depending on how much you want to spend. A cool spot to meet down to earth types is Budapest Grill during happy hour downtown behind State Theater/Fillmore. If you're into the upscale thing try Andiamos Detroit Riverfront in the GM Building.

You could meet people from all over the world hanging out by the Riverfront. Union Street on Woodward during happy hour or dinner is a basic hangout spot where you can meet all kinds... Then you have the lunch spots on Willis and Cass that draw a chill/hippie/grassroots crowd. I mean there's all kinds of places to meet girls. I think you need to hang out around campus more.

None of the guys I know around WSU have trouble finding girls. Granted they don't all turn into serious relationships, but you're not trying to get into a serious relationship with just anybody right? You want someone special. Special people take time to find... Usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,163,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysEngineer View Post
I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me. So is this socially reclusive behavior a Midwest/Detroit thing? Are people more reserved here? ---------------I've lived here since 2001 and yes, that is how women treat men; get used to it. And it's all of Metro Detroit whether Canton, Downriver, Clinton Twp, or Rochester. The dating here sucks, most women have anger issues and having guy friends? Most are tattoed, have no jobs, also have anger and alcohol issues, and have serious trust issues and when working with them, they'll never understand your joke or sense of humor but instead, give a snide remark as though you're dumb for saying it. Oh they'll smile to make you think they like you, but most are two-faced; the next time you call them, you'll never from them. Good luck because you're gonna need it. I am looking at moving to Boston in the next couple of years.
Why don't you try to talk to some of the ladies in Midtown, downtown, Corktown, Hamtramck, instead the ex-burbs, maybe the women are different in those areas.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:51 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysEngineer View Post
I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me. So is this socially reclusive behavior a Midwest/Detroit thing? Are people more reserved here? ---------------I've lived here since 2001 and yes, that is how women treat men; get used to it. And it's all of Metro Detroit whether Canton, Downriver, Clinton Twp, or Rochester. The dating here sucks, most women have anger issues and having guy friends? Most are tattoed, have no jobs, also have anger and alcohol issues, and have serious trust issues and when working with them, they'll never understand your joke or sense of humor but instead, give a snide remark as though you're dumb for saying it. Oh they'll smile to make you think they like you, but most are two-faced; the next time you call them, you'll never from them. Good luck because you're gonna need it. I am looking at moving to Boston in the next couple of years.
If you aren't planning something long-term with whoever you're locking eyes with, fuhgeddaboudit it. Most people here date based on common interests/lifestyles. Most (at least the more mature) are striving for something more than just a good piece of meat. If you're trying to hit it and quit it, this ain't the region for it. Unless you find your date listed in some personal ads in the back of a magazine.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:05 PM

464 posts, read 451,994 times
Detroit has a social scene? I've been in my basement too long. All I can think of is getting drunk in Hamtramck or Royal Oak. Or maybe eating in Greektown or Mexicantown. Ooh, or that really dumpy threater on the Eastside. Harpo's or something? Good times..

Old 05-04-2015, 05:19 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Detroit has a social scene? I've been in my basement too long. All I can think of is getting drunk in Hamtramck or Royal Oak. Or maybe eating in Greektown or Mexicantown. Ooh, or that really dumpy threater on the Eastside. Harpo's or something? Good times..
The thing is, Metro Detroit seems more catered to an older crowd. People who work 9-5 and have families can always find some place to go and something to do on weekends. Young single people? Not so much. Unless there's a bar or restaurant you just really like.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Jesus... is the suburbs really that bad? idc where you are, how do you manage to not at least have a decent conversation with people? I don't know who your around that has a bad since of humor, most people I know clown around alot and have great conversation. But of course we are two different people. But this is not the "give a fake smile because I'm walking past you" type of place. Detroit other than Chicago have probably the rudest people in the Midwest. Both cities are full of people with attitudes like they're in NYC or something. But once you get past that hard shell, most are really nice and great people to have in your life.

As for the women, if women talk to any guy that comes up to them in Denver, then they are obviously not used to having guys trying to hit on them everyday. Women here aren't as easy as you think unless they are thots. But all of them are freaks and most are somewhat Bi and I have yet to be proven wrong on this btw. Any girl 8 or better in Metro Detroit... you need good timing, good conversation, and patients (for trying to have sex the FIRST time). Girls in Detroit don't appreciate "nice guys", so don't even bother, this could be where your going wrong right here, they will say your either too nice (they get nice confused with "wimps"), weird, thirsty, or come off as socially awkward. I'm nice generally to a degree but I'm not going out of my way to be nice to anybody. Make sure you don't come off as some pushover or weak minded person who will go along with anything that comes along. Have a mind of your own and stick by what you believe.

Also, don't give an attractive woman too much attention. Especially if you don't know them because you come a dime a dozen. Being different is the key. For one treat them like they are just another women (because they are). Do not... I repeat... DO NOT put ANY woman on a pedal stool. Idc how good they THINK they look. Give them a little attention, see what they do with it, and go from there, you sound like you have an agenda if you start doing too much too soon.

Everyone gets rejected, even celebrities, part of life. Again, pick up vibes from women for good timing, be natural, have good conversation, be confident, and be patient. Every woman is different in some way. Women are the hardest strategy game there is lol. But these basic tips and you should be having a lot less lonely nights within a couple months.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:27 AM

603 posts, read 877,985 times
This thread is old but it looks like there's been some new life given to it.

It's pretty much a fact (backed up with statistics) that the State of Michigan is very poor in retaining college-educated individuals. The grass is greener in other cities and thus, Michigan is a state that young people leave instead of move to. Metro areas with limited transient populations are not going to be youth-oriented and entertaining as metros with heavy transient populations.

With that being said metro Detroit still has like 4 million people? It's still ranked around 10-15 in overall population so you're bound to find a decent number of young folks, even though they will be quite spread out compared to other metros. Transients just have to work a little harder at finding friends than they do in other places.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,238 times
Try Meetups; there are groups for all kinds of interests, and many are geared towards singles. Online dating is worth a try, too. There are so very many people here, all different personalities and even a good number of people who have moved from other cities to work here. Try to improve your attitude. As someone else said, if you appear to be a negative thinker, it will show. This does not attract people.
And yes, it is more common in Michigan for people to be reserved, especially with strangers.
Keep trying and best wishes!

Old 05-14-2016, 02:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post

It's pretty much a fact (backed up with statistics) that the State of Michigan is very poor in retaining college-educated individuals. The grass is greener in other cities and thus, Michigan is a state that young people leave instead of move to. Metro areas with limited transient populations are not going to be youth-oriented and entertaining as metros with heavy transient populations.

With that being said metro Detroit still has like 4 million people? It's still ranked around 10-15 in overall population so you're bound to find a decent number of young folks, even though they will be quite spread out compared to other metros. Transients just have to work a little harder at finding friends than they do in other places.
There was actually something on Michigan Public Radio about this exact topic like two weeks ago and the discussion was essentially debunking the myth you're perpetuating here - that college graduates leave or that brain drain exists. What it found was that Metro Detroit (Tri-County area) ranked quite highly at its rate of graduate retention. I believe they claimed #2 on the radio, but in my quick google search I found that this study actually ranked it as #1.

Which U.S. Metros Are Best at Keeping Their College Grads? - CityLab

This is one spot ahead of Houston, two spots ahead of NYC and three sports ahead of Seattle.

So say what you want about Detroit (which I know will be bad, because you make it quite evident that you don't like Detroit) but in that recent analysis it does a pretty damn good job of retaining and employing local college graduates.

To answer the OP's question - Midtown is the hip place to be for students and recent grads. Ferndale is also hip for recent grads. Royal Oak is hip, but more of a mid-professional hip, and the Gross Pointes tend to be home to a lot of younger professional families.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post

Not true. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, and Detroit are doing quite well....and nightlife is packed in central downtown areas in each of these cities. Detroit, of course, has options outside of Downtown and Midtown in other suburban pedestrian areas - Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Plymouth...etc. Also graduates from Michigan colleges have no problem transitioning into jobs in all of these metropolitan areas. U of Michigan Ann Arbor graduates also look for other options outside of Michigan just because a large percentage of the student population are from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit