Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,911 times

Advertisements

We are relocating out of state next month (NOT by choice) and are using the hiring company's recommended reloc. brokers. They have sent us a couple of Realtors to interview...we have to pick one of their choices. One is Century 21 Town & Country, one is Coldwell Banker Schweitzer. Both sent losers to our doorsteps! We immediately called the relocation broker to complain but I'd like to see if our expectations are out of whack. If you have worked with Cartus or other reloc. company, PLEASE help me out here.

We felt like they just came in & went through the motions, looked at us as their assigned corporate clients who would be moving with or without the sale, not a family with real concerns & budget issues. They also recommended a seriously lowball listing price, much lower than the comps in the area - it was seriously insulting (and I had low expectations for what I thought we could get).

Now, I understand most corporate relocs are trying to get out quick, but I am not in a hurry, esp. with the holidays coming, and my husband is fine commuting home on the weekends until the house sells. But these Realtors came in & seemed so insulting, as if they were not here to help US but to help the company that hired them by "getting rid of property fast" It is much more than just a piece of property to us - in the past when we've worked with Realtors, they have VERY much catered to us and made it clear that they were working for US.
I've also walked through houses & had the selling agent guide me toward a house priced out of my range, saying that since it was a corporate reloc., we might be surprised by what they would take. I don't want my selling agent conveying to potential buyers that we are desperate!! Is this common?
When you work with a reloc. company, is your Realtor loyal to YOU or the reloc. company that hired them? Should I expect to just "go with the flow" or do I have any control over how the selling is handled? Are they assuming that our company is going to buy us out, so what's the difference? They just acted so ambivalent and UNmotivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,911 times
still want to know!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 680,144 times
best of luck to you, I have not found a job where I would be offered a reloc service.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,110 times
How about doing your own research so you know what your going in with. It's not too hard to do a market analysis. The market is really tough now a days. If your goal is to sell QUICK then obviously a lower price will achieve that. Good Luck!
-BTW I relocated out of MI last year, and didn't even bother trying to sell my home, I was lucky enough to find good tenants, and will keep the home as long as I have someone else paying the mortgage.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 23,352 times
With such a mass amount of houses flooding the market (on the foreclosure and "regular" for sale avenue) I wish you the best of luck selling your home, Mary. Would it be possible to rent out the home until the market gets better for your price point expectations? Keep in mind of all the house auctions that are occuring too.

A quick example for you, recently a home in Bloomfield Hills went to auction and was sold for $201,000 and the house was valued at $1.1 million (this was in the Maple and Adams Road area which is very close to Clawson).

Good luck, Mary!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:57 AM

71 posts, read 240,283 times
I'm familiar with Cartus... generally speaking, they are great. You just got unlucky with the agents. Remember... you are the client. Call the rep and explain exactly what you want. Also tell them that you will speak to your companies HR (or whoever handles the relos) if need be. Cartus works very hard to secure contracts with employers to handle their relocations.

Make sure it really was the agent. Remember... sometimes it's not the agents fault even when it seems to be. Agents loves relocation deals (generally they are people that have to move). You could also call the agents broker if they really are at fault. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 172,557 times
Hi Mary -
You don't have to use them - I would definitely call the rep and complain and then if that doesn't work pay the money and hire a full service REALTOR who won't look at you as if you are a slam dunk corporate client.
Hopefully companies will start to hire REALTORS who care Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,412 times
I wish I would've seen this post earlier. We went through the same thing last fall and I know someone else who did too. Neither of us complained to the relo company, but really should have. I am continually amazed that - generalizing here - the real estate profession sees fit to do less and work less hard in a down market. Logic dictates that the opposite should be true, but in my experience it is not.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
The main function a of relo company is to make your move easier. They work for your employer and for YOU. Finding a listing realtor is always the toughest. We have always been allowed to "interview" three to make sure we find the right one.

At no time has our realtor disclosed to anyone that we were a corporate move. I believe the first time the buyer knew our move was a corporate relo was when we accepted their offer. Once the buyers find out they may try and take advantage and ask for "extras" things. Most time the relo company is pretty strict with the buyers. Again the relo company is representing your best interests.

Do you get a "commission" for selling your home? The realtor does not have to know this as well. Often times if the realtor knows they have X amount of time to get your house sold they will work harder. My DH often treats realtors like a car salesman (which can be embarrassing). I don't think its just real estate agents, but these days it's hard to get anyone to work hard for you - I guess it's the lack of work ethic these days.

Make your relo company work for you - especially if your employer is a big client. They are suppose to make your life easier during your move.

Good Luck...

Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
At no time has our realtor disclosed to anyone that we were a corporate move.
Bear in mind that quite often the realtor will indicate on the MLS that it's a relo - usually phrased as "corporate relocation" or something like that. This is not what the general public sees on Realtor.com, etc., but other realtors do see it.

If you do the transaction through the relo company (e.g., two arms-length transactions where you sell to relo and they resell to the buyer - after you find the buyer, not a buyout although that's the same) I believe they are often required to disclose that in the listing because the relo company has to review and approve every offer.

This has never made a difference in any of my relo transactions, just adding my two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit