Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times

Advertisements

I've noticed in person and also on Google maps... there are a lot of residential and side streets in Metro Detroit that are concrete, rather than asphalt. Anyone know if there is a reason for this? I haven't really seen that anywhere else in the state. The only place I see concrete streets in the middle/western parts of the state is on freeways. Everything is asphalt over this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
I live in a suburb of Detroit (Eastpointe). Almost all our residential streets are concrete and the main roads are asphalt. However the asphalt is often just an overlay over previous poured concrete. I think the reason for all this is that when the roads were originally laid, they were concrete because concrete is the preferred material and probably a lot cheaper at the time. The residential streets are still the original concrete. But since the main roads get so much wear and have to be repaved often, they just routinely re-apply the asphalt overlay. Another possible reason is that the main roads are often state roads, so the state may be more likely to use cheap asphalt instead of more expensive concrete like a local municipality might chose. The local municipality is more likely to use concrete because they know it will last longer and thus be a better long-term value for their residents who will complain at city hall if the roads aren't nice. The state is less prudent financially, it seems.

I don't have a theory on the differences across the state. I'm guessing a freeway may be concrete if the whole roadway needed to be replaced, for example if the original concrete was so deteriorated that an asphalt overlay won't suffice. I don't think they pour a new concrete top layer over an original concrete bottom layer.

This is mostly speculation on my part. I'd love to hear from an expert.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,693 times
My guess is most streets in the city have curbs which are made out of concrete so it would be pointless to lay concrete curbs and then an asphalt road. Plus the sidewalks were done at the same time the street was built.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
My guess is most streets in the city have curbs which are made out of concrete so it would be pointless to lay concrete curbs and then an asphalt road. Plus the sidewalks were done at the same time the street was built.
I don't know... I've seen many places where the curbs are concrete and the road is asphalt. In fact the curbs are always concrete, so how would that explain asphalt roads?

Where I live, the sidewalks were put in before the street. In fact, most of the houses were built before the concrete streets were laid, which is different than they do it nowadays. The sidewalks were either put in individually (per lot) by the builder or were put in per block by the city, but before the road was laid. I think the reason for this was that people used to use the sidewalks more than they do today, especially kids walking to school, so it was imperative that the sidewalks get put in as soon as possible.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
I think a lot has to do with the rapid growth of much of Detroit's suburban areas. Typically, neighborhoods with original asphalt are older lower density neighborhoods that didn't get much car traffic. Concrete seems heavily used in post-war neighborhoods that had higher densities and subsequently higher traffic.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't know... I've seen many places where the curbs are concrete and the road is asphalt. In fact the curbs are always concrete, so how would that explain asphalt roads?

Where I live, the sidewalks were put in before the street. In fact, most of the houses were built before the concrete streets were laid, which is different than they do it nowadays. The sidewalks were either put in individually (per lot) by the builder or were put in per block by the city, but before the road was laid. I think the reason for this was that people used to use the sidewalks more than they do today, especially kids walking to school, so it was imperative that the sidewalks get put in as soon as possible.
I've rarely seen an asphalt side street and concrete curbs. If you go to a place like Fraser, you'll see more asphalt streets but no curbs. Most with cement curbs and asphalt streets are probably overlays. It also seems to me asphalt is a more modern thing. I'm not cement expert but I have found older areas tend to have cement. On the flip side, I have noticed several street in the city of Detroit that are asphalt but no curb line. It's hard to tell if there was a curb there before or not. Also the streets in Detroit are older so they could've originally been asphalt. It's also worth noting that most driveways in inner ring suburbs are cement and not asphalt.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Okay, I see where we are disagreeing. Yes, it is uncommon to see side streets that are asphalt roads and concrete curb. But every asphalt main road that I have seen has has concrete curbs. So obviously not pointless to do so that way...on main roads anyway.

As for side roads that are asphalt, yes, I have seen some that do not have curbs (although not in my city, in which all roads are curbed). Obviously cheaper.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
I think they use whatever is cheapest. It would explain why Michigan roads are terrible compared to a lot of other states. However, they have started using higher end asphalt on the roads where I live. I hope they continue to move in this direction.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Okay, I see where we are disagreeing. Yes, it is uncommon to see side streets that are asphalt roads and concrete curb. But every asphalt main road that I have seen has has concrete curbs. So obviously not pointless to do so that way...on main roads anyway.

As for side roads that are asphalt, yes, I have seen some that do not have curbs (although not in my city, in which all roads are curbed). Obviously cheaper.
My point is I don't think the main roads were originally asphalt. I think the side streets are still the original concrete. In fact, I know a couple roads that were originally cement and then asphalt. In the 90's I used to ride up Schoenherr every day and it was cement until about 10 or 15 years ago when they resurfaced it with asphalt and widened it. I also remember Hoover being concrete until the resurfaced it around the same time.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,973 times
Changing construction methods, traffic volume, cost (current and future maintenance) all factor into to the decision.

Concrete is more expensive up-front costs, but lower long-term maintenance costs over the life of the road.
Asphalt is cheaper construction costs but has higher maintenance costs over time.

Often the life of a concrete roadway can be extended by putting an asphalt overlay down, which is a much quicker and cheaper repair (band-aid), than the time and expense necessary for a full-reconstruction.

Asphalt technology has drastically improved in recent decades in both strength, durability, and cost.

With ever scare road funding, the trade-off often must be made whether to go concrete vs. asphalt (pay me now, or pay me later).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit