Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM

661 posts, read 1,249,636 times

Advertisements

these houses look like expensive to heat up during colder weather. maybe I should just spend my time and money someplace nicer and warm huh? Like the south? I've looked into it. I lived in Chicago for a year so I'm not a fan of the midwest weather or landscape. But thanks for all the info. in case I'd need it for future reference.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM

947 posts, read 1,466,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
these houses look like expensive to heat up during colder weather. maybe I should just spend my time and money someplace nicer and warm huh? Like the south? I've looked into it. I lived in Chicago for a year so I'm not a fan of the midwest weather or landscape. But thanks for all the info. in case I'd need it for future reference.
Depends. Insulation can make heating not that expensive. Plus a fireplace whether wood or gas is quite nice for heating.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Doesn't it become expensive from how high you set your heat on? Right now I have mines set at 80 degrees. This is probably why my utility bills are higher during winter months but low during summer months (I don't use heat or AC during summer time). I remember when I lived in a Chicago apartment they only set their heat to 70 degrees. I think there is a city rule that during winter months the landlord could only set it at a certain degree. 70 degrees of heat in Chicago was still cold to me so I had to use my oven for additional heat. The apartment was all utilities included. I never thought of window insulation. I've seen these. Do you buy it at home depot? Right now my windows only has standard window blinds.

Wood fireplace would be free right but not gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Depends. Insulation can make heating not that expensive. Plus a fireplace whether wood or gas is quite nice for heating.

Last edited by thealfa; 02-12-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Wood you still gotta buy firewood. A lot of heat and cold comes through uninsulated windows. So insulating the suckers can save anywhere from 15-35% on your AC bill if your windows are really old. HowStuffWorks "How to Insulate Windows "

Oh one thing that really helps if you have an attic is to get an attic fan. Removes moisture and heat during the summer thereby keeping the house cool. Really lowers the bill for cooling. During the winter the fan turns off since it has a thermostat. During the summer you might shocked at how hot the attic gets and what that hot air up there does to heat up the rest of the house. So having a fan there to blow out the hot air can really help matters.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,610,737 times
Quote:
Even if heating is expensive, everything else is relatively cheaper so it really doesn't make that big of a difference. Water is usually pretty cheap if you don't have anything leaking and I think water tends to be more expensive down south especially in the drier cities.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,287,402 times
LOL @ the idea of the cost of heating being the deciding factor on whether one will or will not move into a $1,000 house in Detroit.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,146,823 times
The cost of replacing doors, copper piping, water heaters, and door knobs should also be taken into account while the house is vacant, and then an alarm system when it is occupied. Squaters are a problem and God forbid you have to evict someone. Ah...no thanks. Detroit is no Marquette.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM

just wondering how a squatter ended up in the house and why the actual "owner" of the house (person or bank?) ended up not in control of the situation? This is weird but maybe not in Detroit.

Did people simply just gave up in Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
The cost of replacing doors, copper piping, water heaters, and door knobs should also be taken into account while the house is vacant, and then an alarm system when it is occupied. Squaters are a problem and God forbid you have to evict someone. Ah...no thanks. Detroit is no Marquette.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM

well no one wants to pay for heating that cost more than the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
LOL @ the idea of the cost of heating being the deciding factor on whether one will or will not move into a $1,000 house in Detroit.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
just wondering how a squatter ended up in the house and why the actual "owner" of the house (person or bank?) ended up not in control of the situation? This is weird but maybe not in Detroit.

Did people simply just gave up in Detroit?
Squatters are an issue in an city with foreclosed or abandoned properties. Sometimes the squatters are the people that the bank foreclosed on. Other times it's gangs, teenagers, homeless, druggies. Watch those flipping house programs. They sometimes show them dealing with squatters or finding evidence they were there such as crack pipes, anal sex lube. You may want to get a concealed carry permit if you want to go check out any property you are interested in buying. Never know who may be in there or what such as rats or feral dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit