Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

Sounds strange, but I've told my husband let's move to Michigan. He said "no way, there aren't any jobs there". Well today I found an awesome job for him to apply for. I grew up in MI, have been gone for 10 years. My family is still there as is my BFF.... We currently live in NC, but to be honest, it's too darn hot here. Are the winters in MI still real long? Would this be the biggest mistake of our lives?? How bad is it really?? Thinking of the AA area. I know nobody can answer these questions but us, but I'm just wondering if I'm romantasizing this idea in my head which might actually be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
If you are able to make a living, Michigan is an awesome place to live. Winter is long but it beats using the A/C for half the year. If he can get a good job here, it beats NC.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
My sister and her husband left NC to come back to MI last year and have zero regrets, except that they didn't do it sooner. I have a Nephew who lives in WY and is looking to move to MI this Fall, he can't wait to get here.

Biggest thing is the job though. If you have one here or are offered one here, then by all means come back. Just like any place though, moving without secured employment may have worked years ago, but it doesn't work now anyplace; Michigan or other States.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I moved from Detroit to Durham last year, and haven't looked back....these godawful hot days are about the only thing I can't stand, but if you stay in with the A/C running, everything else more than makes up for it

Every time I visit Detroit, it just seems so gray/cloudy.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I moved from Detroit to Durham last year, and haven't looked back....these godawful hot days are about the only thing I can't stand, but if you stay in with the A/C running, everything else more than makes up for it

Every time I visit Detroit, it just seems so gray/cloudy.
Yeah I know, we always seem to go over Christmas. And I think to myself... could I live here again??... It's very cold, BUT my parents are getting older and I miss my family (although I have one brother here). funny.... I just want to go shopping with my BFF and let my kids play with their cousins. That's all I really want. I do like Durham though, but I don't LOVE it.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I feel you there! I miss all my old friends. I'm sure you'll find a great deal on a house at least!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Sounds strange, but I've told my husband let's move to Michigan. He said "no way, there aren't any jobs there". Well today I found an awesome job for him to apply for. I grew up in MI, have been gone for 10 years. My family is still there as is my BFF.... We currently live in NC, but to be honest, it's too darn hot here. Are the winters in MI still real long? Would this be the biggest mistake of our lives?? How bad is it really?? Thinking of the AA area. I know nobody can answer these questions but us, but I'm just wondering if I'm romantasizing this idea in my head which might actually be a mistake.
I read in this forum all the time about people moving to Michigan. I'm trying like hell to stay in Michigan over moving to Arizona so I don't see it as strange at all that you want to move back.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post

Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
Winters are just as bitter and cold and wet now than when you lived there. In fact, the winters seem to be getting longer! I lived there from 1996 to 2005, when I moved to Arizona. My family is still back in east lansing and I'm trying to get them to move here. The job market is not just bad in MI, but the WORST in the entire country. I think the unemployment rate is like 15% now?? OUCH! My mom called me yesterday and always tells of Michigan's economic ills. If I were you, I would just let the idea fantacize in your head until it passes.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM

54 posts, read 142,052 times
After high school, all I could think about was leaving Michigan. I could never see myself leaving now.

Michiganders have seen the slow decline of their economy for almost 50 years, and it made us pessimistic and self-deprecating. Despite the bad economy here, places like downtown Detroit and Flint are actually improving. I think people have a brighter outlook now than they did even 5 years ago, as if there's a realization that we've finally hit the bottom.

The previous posters are right on, if you can find a job in Michigan, I don't think there's anywhere better, especially AA.

Is your husband from NC or MI? The winter may not be the best selling point for him. I always try to bring people to Michigan in the fall...there's just something about the fall in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit