Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times

Advertisements

Well, I will be coming home between now and July. Tried living in North Carolina....near Raleigh. I moved out here first, left my wife and kids up north for a year. They moved down this past July. And, they moved back up 3 months later. My wife and kids all hated it here. I guess it was the culture shock. So I've been here myself since early November. My wife found a job in the medical records field. When I move back up, it will be no doubt jobless. But at least our family will be all together again. While I don't dislike NC as much as the rest of my family. It's still not Michigan. Michigan has it's share of problems. But it's where I grew up. And yes, I will miss the days it hits 70 here in January. But there's far more that I miss in Michigan. The places to see and things to do. Hopefully the rest of my time here myself will pass quickly. And then I'll be HOME!!! Nearly 2 years away from the wife and kids is more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
What didn't your wife and kids like about it?

Just for information purposes to anyone that is thinking of moving there.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
Well, I will be coming home between now and July. Tried living in North Carolina....near Raleigh. I moved out here first, left my wife and kids up north for a year. They moved down this past July. And, they moved back up 3 months later. My wife and kids all hated it here. I guess it was the culture shock. So I've been here myself since early November. My wife found a job in the medical records field. When I move back up, it will be no doubt jobless. But at least our family will be all together again. While I don't dislike NC as much as the rest of my family. It's still not Michigan. Michigan has it's share of problems. But it's where I grew up. And yes, I will miss the days it hits 70 here in January. But there's far more that I miss in Michigan. The places to see and things to do. Hopefully the rest of my time here myself will pass quickly. And then I'll be HOME!!! Nearly 2 years away from the wife and kids is more than enough.
2 years is WAY too long.

What is it with wives>? Mine is wanting to join her sister in business come this summer. I was planning on New Mexico in 2013 and now we'll be headed to Brighton in April. We just bought a place and she will be moving in the first week of April while I finish my grad classes here.
SInce we are both unemployed, may be we can start up a tourist company and organize a few trips for all the people moving to Michigan?

I was really liking it here. Time will tell if we will be able to do the traveling back there that we did here. I am going to miss the mountains and the seafood on the coast. But I will be getting coneys, vernors, and great middle eastern food in exchange.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
What didn't your wife and kids like about it?

Just for information purposes to anyone that is thinking of moving there.

A few of the things. The heat in the summer, Michigan gets the really hot spell for a bit, then goes. Here, the hot spell lasts from about the end of June until around the middle of September. My wife works in medical records, and with the accent it was hard to understand some of what was being said which is critical in her line of work. The kids didn't like the schools, and 2 of them are already in high school, so making friends wasn't easy...most kids by that age already have their circles they hang out with. Unless you live in a large city, the distance between stores can be quite far and can require a lot of driving.
Myself, I would have stayed....mostly because the winter here is much better. But.....Michigan aint all THAT bad......

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
2 years is WAY too long.

What is it with wives>? Mine is wanting to join her sister in business come this summer. I was planning on New Mexico in 2013 and now we'll be headed to Brighton in April. We just bought a place and she will be moving in the first week of April while I finish my grad classes here.
SInce we are both unemployed, may be we can start up a tourist company and organize a few trips for all the people moving to Michigan?

I was really liking it here. Time will tell if we will be able to do the traveling back there that we did here. I am going to miss the mountains and the seafood on the coast. But I will be getting coneys, vernors, and great middle eastern food in exchange.

Can't say I'll miss my job here when I quit. Never saw a company with such a lack of communication..... What I will miss about it is all the driving I did. I got to see a lot of the eastern half of NC. I drove about 45,000 miles since last September, not counting personal miles. I'm even thinking about getting into a new line of work. Tourist biz.......not bad....lol.
I was in Kroger here the other day......saw Vernors...and had to buy it...lol.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
Myself, I would have stayed....mostly because the winter here is much better. But.....Michigan aint all THAT bad......
Lol, on the bright side, this winter has been pretty "mild" so far. There's only a dusting in most spots and tomorrow it's supposed to be 40 degrees! But as you know, it can change in a heartbeat.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Lol, on the bright side, this winter has been pretty "mild" so far. There's only a dusting in most spots and tomorrow it's supposed to be 40 degrees! But as you know, it can change in a heartbeat.

It's funny down here. They don't have the equipment to move the snow. So, if there's an inch....things shut down....lol. Haven't had any snow here yet this year. But when I was driving back here after the holidays......ran into blizzards in the mountains. Made for an interesting drive back....

Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
We moved from MI to NC....and we can't wait to go back. Sure, the summers here are long....but they're so hot and muggy you can't do anything outside. And the bugs, omg the bugs. Cockroaches are apparently just everywhere...normal so to speak. The flys, cockroaches, spiders etc are absolutely terrible. And the air here just plain sucks. There's so much nasty stuff in the air that my white car is now black...and we breathe this stuff! It's no wonder we live on cold medicine now. As for driving anywhere...you learn real quick how to be a defensive driver. I've never seen so many stop signs ran and ppl slamming on their brakes to stop. Although the ppl here in NC are generally friendly the good ol boy system is truly in place down here. We tend to do our shopping during the day in the main shopping districts due to the crime and uncertainty of what happens during the nighttime hours. We can't wait to get back to what we know. Back to the state where you can drive without having a heart attack. Back to the state where you can go outside in the summer without sweating too much. Back to where cockroaches aren't a daily occurrence. Back to where ppl will call you by name and talk to you all day long. The southern living isn't for us. Period. I love MI. I love the seasons and the smells. Think twice before taking the move down here.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark1 View Post
We moved from MI to NC....and we can't wait to go back. Sure, the summers here are long....but they're so hot and muggy you can't do anything outside. And the bugs, omg the bugs. Cockroaches are apparently just everywhere...normal so to speak. The flys, cockroaches, spiders etc are absolutely terrible. And the air here just plain sucks. There's so much nasty stuff in the air that my white car is now black...and we breathe this stuff! It's no wonder we live on cold medicine now. As for driving anywhere...you learn real quick how to be a defensive driver. I've never seen so many stop signs ran and ppl slamming on their brakes to stop. Although the ppl here in NC are generally friendly the good ol boy system is truly in place down here. We tend to do our shopping during the day in the main shopping districts due to the crime and uncertainty of what happens during the nighttime hours. We can't wait to get back to what we know. Back to the state where you can drive without having a heart attack. Back to the state where you can go outside in the summer without sweating too much. Back to where cockroaches aren't a daily occurrence. Back to where ppl will call you by name and talk to you all day long. The southern living isn't for us. Period. I love MI. I love the seasons and the smells. Think twice before taking the move down here.
What part of MI are you considering? I too searched the country for places to relocate, and all I found was tradeoffs.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark1 View Post

Now I loved North Carolina. We were in Clayton for a year before moving to Lillington (closer to Fayetteville). Other than the fire ants, I was happy. Weekend trips to the ocean, or the mountains. I even learned to LOVE the vinegar based BBQ!
May be it was the history that intrigued me so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit