Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,776 times

Advertisements

After read so much stuff on this forum, I still did not find some good information fitting my perferances, so I decided to post my own topic. I am a UM student now, and will start to work in Downtown Detroit this Fall. With $350k-550k budget,I plan to buy a newconstruction single-family house with 3-4 bedrooms. I hope the one-way commute time could be no more than 30 minutes. I am not a big fan of night life, like bars or clubs, instead I want to live in a nice, quiet and convenient community within a good school district. Because I am a Asian, so living close to good Asian restaurants and grocery stores would be a big plus. I appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thank you in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,349 times
Troy, MI will have top notch schools, new construction, the state's nicest mall and 20 minutes to downtown. And a large Asian population.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times
I believe there are a lot of Asians in Northville. You should be able to find a house within your budget.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,605,790 times
Troy and Novi/Northville area both have a lot of new construction and some Asian populations. Also both pretty great school districts.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
Troy
Plymouth / Canton
Novi
Farmington
Rochester Hills

Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0423 View Post
After read so much stuff on this forum, I still did not find some good information fitting my perferances, so I decided to post my own topic. I am a UM student now, and will start to work in Downtown Detroit this Fall. With $350k-550k budget,I plan to buy a newconstruction single-family house with 3-4 bedrooms. I hope the one-way commute time could be no more than 30 minutes. I am not a big fan of night life, like bars or clubs, instead I want to live in a nice, quiet and convenient community within a good school district. Because I am a Asian, so living close to good Asian restaurants and grocery stores would be a big plus. I appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thank you in advance .
Novi has one of the largest Asian populations in North America as well as one of the best school districts in the state. There are plenty of Asian grocers in Novi and some of the best Asian restaurants I have ever eaten at. With your budget you should easily be able to build a new home or at least purchase one built in the past 5-10 years. Novi is very quiet and extremely safe. Commute to Downtown Detroit would probably be around 45 minutes.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,938 times
New homes...not so easy in that price range in Novi now. What part of Asia, if you don't mind my asking?
There are communities...different churches (and specialty grocers, as well as restaurants for certain cuisines) in some cities, depending on country of origin.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
New homes...not so easy in that price range in Novi now. What part of Asia, if you don't mind my asking?
There are communities...different churches (and specialty grocers, as well as restaurants for certain cuisines) in some cities, depending on country of origin.
I am from China, but I love Chinese/Korean/Japanese food. If necessary, I can slightly go beyond the budget. Thanks for your post.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Novi has one of the largest Asian populations in North America as well as one of the best school districts in the state. There are plenty of Asian grocers in Novi and some of the best Asian restaurants I have ever eaten at. With your budget you should easily be able to build a new home or at least purchase one built in the past 5-10 years. Novi is very quiet and extremely safe. Commute to Downtown Detroit would probably be around 45 minutes.
Thanks for your post , but I feel 45 minutes commute is a bit painful to me. My priorities:a secure and nice community> proximity to business centers (shopping, dinning and entertaining)> school district> Asian community> trees and parks (some nature) for outdoor jogging

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0423 View Post
Thanks for your post , but I feel 45 minutes commute is a bit painful to me. My priorities:a secure and nice community> proximity to business centers (shopping, dinning and entertaining)> school district> Asian community> trees and parks (some nature) for outdoor jogging
Novi definitely has all of those factors in spades. However, I won't lie -- it would definitely be a painful commute Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit