Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM

38 posts, read 58,071 times

Advertisements

I'm commuting from the Wixom area to midtown, and I'd like to avoid taking the freeway as much as possible. So, I was considering taking Grand River, to Ten Mile, to Woodward, down to midtown. I'd like to avoid any crime issues as well in my commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Just take Grand River all the way or take 8 Mile to Woodward. It's very unlikely to have any problem just driving through the city.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Just take Grand River all the way or take 8 Mile to Woodward. It's very unlikely to have any problem just driving through the city.
Or better yet, Grand River to Warren, Grand Blvd or MLK Jr. Blvd, then take Warren, Grand Blvd or MLK Jr. Blvd to your destination in Midtown.

It's not like crimes in the surrounding areas are just going to attach to your moving car like an amoeba.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM

If I say that I have a car that attracts attention, would that change either of your opinions? It's a bright yellow "smart" car. Crime-wise, is Grand River better than Woodward? Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
It doesn't matter, take Woodward your going to be driving through Highland Park, take Grand River your going to be driving through the Linwood/ Dexter area. I doubt any car jacker is going to risk their life over a smart car lol. If it makes you feel any better, I've drove around the city in my '08 Chevy Malibu in the middle of the night with blue LED lights as the fog lights, side streets and all. I'll be more worried about getting crushed in that car in an accident than being the victim of a random crime.

Your coming from Wixom so you really have no reason to be anywhere near Woodward until you pass I-94. Take one of the streets "313 Weather" said to your destination in Midtown (EXCEPT Warren, because Warren is a one way going the opposite direction west of Trumbell.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter, take Woodward your going to be driving through Highland Park, take Grand River your going to be driving through the Linwood/ Dexter area. I doubt any car jacker is going to risk their life over a smart car lol. If it makes you feel any better, I've drove around the city in my '08 Chevy Malibu in the middle of the night with blue LED lights as the fog lights, side streets and all. I'll be more worried about getting crushed in that car in an accident than being the victim of a random crime.

Your coming from Wixom so you really have no reason to be anywhere near Woodward until you pass I-94. Take one of the streets "313 Weather" said to your destination in Midtown (EXCEPT Warren, because Warren is a one way going the opposite direction west of Trumbell.
Thanks a lot! I'm not completely opposed to taking the freeway, just hoping to minimize, so maybe it'd be best to just taking M-10S down to midtown from ten mile?

Any other opinions on whether I'd be better off taking Woodward from Ferndale to midtown or just taking Grand River all the way, or whether it's even something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogRulesTheUniverse View Post
Thanks a lot! I'm not completely opposed to taking the freeway, just hoping to minimize, so maybe it'd be best to just taking M-10S down to midtown from ten mile?

Any other opinions on whether I'd be better off taking Woodward from Ferndale to midtown or just taking Grand River all the way, or whether it's even something I should be concerned about? Thanks.
Why Ten Mile specifically? Coming from Wixiom, it seems easier to take 12 Mile.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Why Ten Mile specifically? Coming from Wixiom, it seems easier to take 12 Mile.
I was going to take grand river to ten mile since I thought it was quicker, but twelve would be fine too.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogRulesTheUniverse View Post

Well I'll just warn you now, your driving over 30 miles so if you don't take the freeway you are literally doubling your commute time. According to google maps it's going to take you over an hour to get to your destination. Good thing that car gives you good gas mileage.

I agree with "animatedmartian", why 10 mile? Use 12 mile. But if you live by 10 mile then use 8 mile. What would be best for surface streets is taking 10 mile to Grand River to Grand Blvd or MLK.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Well I'll just warn you now, your driving over 30 miles so if you don't take the freeway you are literally doubling your commute time. According to google maps it's going to take you over an hour to get to your destination. Good thing that car gives you good gas mileage.

I agree with "animatedmartian", why 10 mile? Use 12 mile. But if you live by 10 mile then use 8 mile. What would be best for surface streets is taking 10 mile to Grand River to Grand Blvd or MLK.
Thanks, I do realize that. By "best for surface streets", do you mean best in terms of crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit