Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,449 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 year old white female, and planning on moving to inner city Detroit in the near future. I've read that many of the white people in the suburbs have an issue with black people living there. Is this really true? Is it the same for whites living in the inner city Detroit?

Looking for answers from people actually living in Detroit.. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 AM

156 posts, read 562,711 times
Post Diversity in Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro87 View Post
I'm a 20 year old white female, and planning on moving to inner city Detroit in the near future. I've read that many of the white people in the suburbs have an issue with black people living there. Is this really true? Is it the same for whites living in the inner city Detroit?

I'm a married white (well, a bit of a mongrel but mostly white) male, and speaking from my personal experience as a one year resident of downtown, I have not run into any issues and enjoy living here (hell, I'm about to walk home from work after a long night at the office, and it won't be the first time). I have noted that whites from the suburbs stop to ask me for directions rather than asking the black residents, but that is their problem not mine. There are large sections of the city where I would not recommend that a 20 year woman (or man, for that matter), white or black or purple, wander around alone, but downtown is pretty safe.
Most of the city and the suburbs are quite self-segregated in that they are either largely black or largely white, but generally downtown, the midtown/Wayne State area, New Center, Corktown and Hamtramck are pretty diverse as are a few of the suburbs such as Ferndale, Dearborn and Southfield. Plus the aforementioned areas of Detroit and the burbs also have a high percentage of foreign immigrants that contribute to the diversity.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,216 times
Default diversity in detroit

My first suggestion is to go on line for a couple of newspapers that you might find helpful: The Detroit Free Press and one of the best alternative rags around - The Metro Times. Detroit is, after all, a black city with a black mayor and a black pop. of over 85% or there abouts. But the suburbanites (whites) are coming downtown more and more. Many restaurants/bars/entertainment venues have sprung up in recent years. There are now loft spaces all over the downtown area and more coming. Heavy and diverse music scene for someone in your age group. There are plenty of racists in the burbs due to ignorance and lack of contact with blacks. But isn't that true elsewhere? I hope this is a start for you.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM

214 posts, read 725,125 times
Inner City Detroit....where abouts are you thinking?

Have you visited the city in the summer and winter?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 AM

52 posts, read 270,234 times
Depends where in inner city Detroit you are talking about. Downtown, Midtown, Woodbridge, Lafayette Park you would probably have no issues whatsoever, as they are very diverse communities. There may be some areas in inner city Detroit where you would get strange looks just due to the fact that you're white and they wonder why a white person would be on a black side of town. However, I don't think anybody will harass you just out of the blue; they'll treat you with respect if you treat them with respect.

Any part in particular where you would like to move?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM

41 posts, read 183,566 times
Quote:

I would suggest either Corktown or Midtown given your age demographics. I've lived in the city for 20 years and I'm 27. I plan on moving back next year myself. I know you would love midtown because your near Wayne State and alot of educators and students.Also you have the nightlife and music venues like the Majestic theatre and some really nice restuarants like Union Street, Atlas bistro. Not to mention the galleries they have and Museums.. O h don't forget the trendy Boutiques you have to check out the SOLE SISTERS shoe store, and the Bureau of Urban living. Plus your minutes from DOWNTOWN that has so much to offer. I would like you to visit Campus Martius downtown at any given night and you will see the tons of people packed on the Ice Skating Rink and the BEAUTIFUL LIGHTS and sounds around you. I hope I gave you enough to go own an WELCOME TO OUR CITY!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,233 times
Just out of curiousity, why do you want to move to Detroit???

Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 18,449 times
Thanks to everyone for all their replies. I've never been to detroit but I did alot of research online, and for my interests it seems like a cool place to live. I'm tired of the white suburbs where everyones cut from the same mold. Thinking about moving to the downtown area, but still not sure. Deffinately will visit before moving there. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 78,302 times
Wow that's funny! I'm a black man from Detroit who plans to move to Phoenix soon. But to answer your questions..you have to know the history of Detroit. Things changed mostly in the riot/uprisings of 1967. That's when most whites moved to the suburbs, and most blacks stayed in Detroit. Even before then, the city was, and continues to be..VERY polarized. A great deal of the city amazingly so..also STILL remains a burned out shell that looks like a nuclear holocost happened here. Any pictures you have seen of Detroit were probably ONLY the small downtown section of detroit, where the financial district and the bulk of businesses are. The other 90% of Detroit is somewhat of a wasteland. Also as a black man who lived in NYC for 15 years, coming back to my city of birth was a bit of a culture shock. I have experienced a lot of negetivity, hatred, and just plain ignorance from people because i have a white girlfriend. Mostly FROM other black people. That's because i live in Detroit..a 90% black city. By contrast..all one has to do is travel half an hour or more outside of Detroit, and you'll get the same ignorance from white people. And let's not even talk about how gay people are treated. Having moved here from NY, i may be a little biased..but mostly i'm right on point. Detroit HAD a great heritage once, but those days are gone. I'ts the most ass backwards place i've ever lived in. To top it off..live in Detroit, and you will definitly have to get used to gun shots disturbing you on a daily/nightly basis. Crime is rampant. Winters here are excrutiating, and the economy is the WORST in the nation. The last time i searched for a job, it took me 8 months to find ANYTHING! I am presently unemployed, and have 4 months of benefits left. That's just one of the reasons why i'm going to cut and run. Why would ANYONE move here unless they have to take care of an ailing reletive who lives here???? Please tell me more about Phoenix. Please write me at Eequalzmc2@yahoo.com

Old 12-05-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,019 times
I would move to "THE DOWNRIVER AREA", that is about 20 south of Detroit city limits. It is Safe, "White", Happening, Much Shopping, Busy, and a "DAMN GOOD PLACE TO LIVE".!!! Great People, Honest Living, Churches, Nice Homes, ($100,000 to $300,000, or up to Millions on the Island of Grosse Ile.) But Rent Downriver goes for around $550 to $900 Monthly for Apartments. Schools are some of the "Best in the State", for a great Education if you have Kids. The people say "Hi" to each other as they pass, UNLIKE DETROIT. THE DOWNRIVER AREA is only about 15-20 minutes away from Downtown Detroit by I-75 Expressway. It also is "A GREAT SPORTS LOVING AREA", Sports bars Everywhere, Alot of Weekend Entertainment....JUST A FUN PLACE TO LIVE, Escpecially Wyandotte, Southgate, Riverview, Taylor, Trenton...These are all GREAT CITIES TO LIVE IN..."TRUST ME" and Come Visit...You will Probably Stay!!!!
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit