Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times

Advertisements

This story caught my eye on B.E.T. I had to look her up. This young lady is a hustler, ambitious, smart, and optimistic.

This 11-Year-Old Detroit Girl

Interesting story. If only I had that mentality at her age.
Here is her website: http://www.superbusinessgirl.com/

On another note, people like this are the type we need to be attracting/ keeping in the region, they are the future. I think the best way to save Detroit is to start from the beginning, encouraging new and existing businesses to grow and invest in the city of Detroit. We never know who could be the "fortune 500" companies of tomorrow. Making people feel like they can build an empire in the region without as much hassle as places like NYC or SF could set us up for greatness. No, not overnight, but years to come.

Anyway, I wish this girl the best, she has a bright future ahead of her.

Last edited by MS313; 02-14-2015 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Well, there is no denying she is a sweetheart, but I don't think we want child merchants hustling pedestrians like they do in third world countries.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well, there is no denying she is a sweetheart, but I don't think we want child merchants hustling pedestrians like they do in third world countries.
I wasn't talking about kids (or adults for that matter) on the streets specifically. Although I think NYC has more street hustlers than anybody. But I mean being a place to start and grow a business. Being a place people want to bring their ideas because they see opportunity.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:38 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
This story caught my eye on B.E.T. I had to look her up. This young lady is a hustler, ambitious, smart, and optimistic.

This 11-Year-Old Detroit Girl

Interesting story. If only I had that mentality at her age.
Here is her website: Super Business Girl - Asia Newson

On another note, people like this are the type we need to be attracting/ keeping in the region, they are the future. I think the best way to save Detroit is to start from the beginning, encouraging new and existing businesses to grow and invest in the city of Detroit. We never know who could be the "fortune 500" companies of tomorrow. Making people feel like they can build an empire in the region without as much hassle as places like NYC or SF could set us up for greatness. No, not overnight, but years to come.

Anyway, I wish this girl the best, she has a bright future ahead of her.
We have to learn to be ahead of the curve and not coming in at the tail of a trend. Here is the deal, CITIES ARE THE PLACE TO BE in the future. Detroit will be a destination spot in the not to distant future, but AA are still heading to places like Atlanta or inner-ring suburbs. Too many people with spunk, talent and a dream leave Detroit and head to some city where the pastures have been greener in the past. There will be a lot of opportunities in Detroit in the future....but it hard to wait for the future when there are opportunities elsewhere now.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 AM

16 posts, read 27,855 times
What kind of parents let their kids be a street hustler? That's really sad that she is outside trying to make money when she should be playing with dolls or learning long division.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
What kind of parents let their kids be a street hustler? That's really sad that she is outside trying to make money when she should be playing with dolls or learning long division.
Of course....its Detroit....the capital of poor parenting...right? You can bet whatever a parent does in Detroit, to people like you, it's something that superior parents would not do.....right? Who would let their kids hustle in the streets....well....for one....those parents who let their kids hustle Girl Scott Cookies...instead of having them home doing long division.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Of course....its Detroit....the capital of poor parenting...right? You can bet whatever a parent does in Detroit, to people like you, it's something that superior parents would not do.....right? Who would let their kids hustle in the streets....well....for one....those parents who let their kids hustle Girl Scott Cookies...instead of having them home doing long division.
FYI I'm from the Detroit area, and no in 2015 my daughter won't be selling Girl Scout cookies door to door.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Yeah, while her dad is standing by a short distance away. Why isn't he selling the candles while his daughter is enjoying the carelessness of childhood? Of course it is because the father is using his daughter's cuteness to his advantage. Kind of like the dope dealers who use children to do the selling because they know that children won't be thrown in jail. Or maybe parents in third world countries that sell their children into the sex-slave business.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yeah, while her dad is standing by a short distance away. Why isn't he selling the candles while his daughter is enjoying the carelessness of childhood? Of course it is because the father is using his daughter's cuteness to his advantage. Kind of like the dope dealers who use children to do the selling because they know that children won't be thrown in jail. Or maybe parents in third world countries that sell their children into the sex-slave business.
I don't know if it's sarcasm or not but I have a kid that age (well almost she's 9) and the last thing on her mind is making money. She is at Sunday school right now and when she is home she is playing with her toys or in front of the house running around with Her friends or inside doing homework.

If they need money why does the little girl even know about that? I have money issues too but before my daughter thought she had to go "hustle" I would sell a kidney to provide for her. When I lived in Chicago there was always little kids dancing on the train and then giving the money to their father or mother standing in the corner, that's what this guy is doing. Capitalizing on the guilt people feel towards an innocent child being PIMPED out. The fact that this is praised and not condemned is a big problem with our culture. When I was growing up and got my first job and my mothers friend saw me checking out bags at the supermarket my mom was so embarrassed that others knew that her kid had to work, it was a source of pride that my dads job could support the whole family unlike in their generation when the whole family had to work pay the bills. Of course I am Polish and Italian so perhaps it's a culture difference that we value hard work moreso than the current residents of Detroit.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
FYI I'm from the Detroit area, and no in 2015 my daughter won't be selling Girl Scout cookies door to door.
I live in a suburban area in another state. Kids come by ringing the doorbell all the time, trying to raise money to fund school activities since people do not want to pay taxes for that kind of stuff anymore. Then you have the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts selling Christmas Reeves and Cookies. It's a common occurrence in my community to see kids, with parents at their side, learning the age old trade of selling. However, its only when certain demographics do it that all of a sudden it becomes "bad parenting", akin to drug dealing and slavery....lol. Yaw kill me....lol..

PLAY is the optimal means by which kids hone their survival skills. The problem with a lot of kids today is that their play is not transferable to real life means of survival, unless they are playing a sport. Selling is one of the best things kids can learn. One needs to be able to sell....to first sell themselves to a prospective employer, client or in negotiations as an ambassador or the like. Caste aspersion all you want.....you are just showing your ignorance and or jealousy, that includes you Retroit. Selling is an economic skill set as much as, if not more than, long division....and if she ENJOYS it...then that is HER PLAY....just like some kids play with chemistry sets or computers and become prolific at it and because rich and successful later in life.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-15-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit