Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,946,543 times

Advertisements

Its only a matter of time until Fairlane Mall dies.

Sears is on life-support and will eventually go out of business in the next 5-10 years
Macys at Fairline will almost certainly close in a similar time-frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,175,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
The only thing I apparently agree with you on is that Romulus is not a very attractive area.
No kidding.
Quote:
As to those "mud" fields you mentioned--most people refer to them more correctly as farm fields.
What exactly do they farm in the location where the outlets were going to be built?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Its only a matter of time until Fairlane Mall dies.

Sears is on life-support and will eventually go out of business in the next 5-10 years
Macys at Fairline will almost certainly close in a similar time-frame.
Good riddance. I'd lived across from it for a year and still sometimes wander over. It's been dying a slow death all this time and I hope that eventually someone takes mercy upon it and pulls the plug.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Looks like retail outlets in general are in trouble.

I am surprised something like payless is failing. Shoes are one of hte things I am not going to buy online. They all fit differently. If I cannot try them on, I woudl have to order 20 pairs and send 19 back.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

8,579 posts, read 12,440,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
What exactly do they farm in the location where the outlets were going to be built?
I'm not sure about the exact location, but most of the farm land in the area is used to grow a rotation of primarily corn (both field corn and sweet corn), soybeans and winter wheat.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I'm not sure about the exact location, but most of the farm land in the area is used to grow a rotation of primarily corn (both field corn and sweet corn), soybeans and winter wheat.
Interesting. I'm willing to stand corrected, but I haven't seen a piece of farm equipment there once. In fact, that lot still appears to be for sale to developers, which, I would assume, would make it tough to farm...

Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,234,486 times
I stopped going to Fairlane Mall once the Diesel store closed, it was the only reason I ever went there. Now I have to go all the way to their flagship Toronto store in Yorkville to shop there!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,717,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Looks like retail outlets in general are in trouble.

I am surprised something like payless is failing. Shoes are one of hte things I am not going to buy online. They all fit differently. If I cannot try them on, I woudl have to order 20 pairs and send 19 back.
Payless has terrible shoes. They hurt your feet & none of the kids want to wear payless anymore.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Payless has terrible shoes. They hurt your feet & none of the kids want to wear payless anymore.
I don't think kids ever wanted to wear Payless...

Old 04-09-2017, 03:29 PM

166 posts, read 287,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Fairlane was the largest of the Taubman 4 super regional centers built in the 70's. The other 3 being Twelve Oaks, Lakeside, and Briarwood in Ann Arbor. It really is the only one of the 4 to experience decline, which is amazing given that all these properties have turned 40. I know the new ownership is being creative in repurposing some of the redundant space in Fairlane. I know the mall declined a lot from when I first had experience with it back in the 80s. I've been under the impression that it had stabilized over the last 10 years and was poised to stay that way for a while.

Interesting side note. Woodfield Center in Schaumburg is a carbon copy of Fairlane. It is still the premier retail destination in Chicago outside of the loop.
Seeing this thread almost a year later, and I was going to post the same thing regarding Woodfield. Attending UM back in the '80s and being from the Chicago area, I was amazed when I first visited Fairlane and thought I was in Woodfield (lol). These malls' original designs were indeed carbon copies, except Fairlane had the rail connector to the nearby Hyatt. But, yes, Woodfield has continued to thrive and has been expanded to 300+ stores.

Very sad to hear about Fairlane's misfortune. It was a fabulous mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit