Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM

420 posts, read 469,028 times

Advertisements

I visited Detroit last year and went to Belle Isle. I saw some big houses across the river and saw buildings I thought was still Detroit (maybe it was?). I'm looking at the map now and thought that may have been Windsor, Canada. Is this about right? Or was it Riverside?

Is Detroit Windsor tunnel the only way to get to Windsor from Detroit? What about the Ambassador Bridge? Does both routes require a passport or it is just the Detroit Windsor tunnel?

I would think it would hold traffic down if everyone had to stop and show their passport, is there not a faster way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
If you saw freighters between you on Belle Isle and the buildings, then you were looking into Canada.

Really only two practical ways to get from Detroit to Windsor (and from Windsor to Detroit), and you mentioned them both. The impractical ways involve either driving about 30-40 miles up to Port Huron/Sarnia, traversing in a private boat or ship (which brings in the Coast Guard on either side of the border), or waiting for the Gordie Howe bridge to be built downriver.

Yes, having to show a passport at the international border can slow things down. Both the tunnel and the bridge have about 20+ booths to handle the traffic flow. It's also faster to get into Windsor than into Detroit; in Windsor the border police dress like postal workers, but in Detroit the border police dress like SWAT team members - and the quasi-military guys can tend to be more "thorough".

Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 PM

130 posts, read 186,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
. . . Is Detroit Windsor tunnel the only way to get to Windsor from Detroit? What about the Ambassador Bridge? Does both routes require a passport or it is just the Detroit Windsor tunnel?

I would think it would hold traffic down if everyone had to stop and show their passport, is there not a faster way to do this?
If you have an "enhanced drivers license" you don't need a passport. It looks like a regular license except it costs extra and it has the word "enhanced" printed on it and most importantly it contains a Radio Frequency Identity chip (RFID). Only a few border states such as Michigan offer them. But for people that cross the border frequently, it makes the crossing a little easier.

Of course, to apply for an enhanced license you need to prove your citizenship as if you were applying for a passport (unless you've got a passport then that would be proof.)

Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You can take a boat or swim across or go up to the bluewater bridge. It is a long detour, but if the tunnel and bridge are really backed up, sometimes it is worth it.

If you boat or swim across you have to let them know you are coming, and check in when you arrive. Bring your passport or enhanced license in a zip lock bag.

You can also float over in an inner tube.
Fifteen hundred possibly drunk Americans successfully invade Canada via the St. Clair River | National Post

Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I visited Detroit last year and went to Belle Isle. I saw some big houses across the river and saw buildings I thought was still Detroit (maybe it was?). I'm looking at the map now and thought that may have been Windsor, Canada. Is this about right? Or was it Riverside?

Is Detroit Windsor tunnel the only way to get to Windsor from Detroit? What about the Ambassador Bridge? Does both routes require a passport or it is just the Detroit Windsor tunnel?

Riverside is a neighbourhood of Windsor, and Windsor's eastern border goes all the way to Lake St. Clair. There's are quite a few high rise condos along this stretch, that's what you were seeing.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
Yeah, I would hazard a guess that the big houses the OP is referring to were in Windsor. For much of the isle you have way better views of those luxury Windsor condos than of the Detroit neighborhood bordering the island.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
If the OP is seeing big large homes from Belle Isle he is looking at Detroit because all you can see in Windsor are apartments or condos. Once you are past the coast guard station on the North tip of of the Island you are looking across at the Sand Bar Lane South Conner Creek neighborhood of Detroit. Big beautiful homes on the riverfront beginning at $500,000. I attended a wedding in this area and it is the most beautiful setting around. Matter of fact 18 Sand Bar lane is for sale for 2.5 million if you want your peace of heaven

Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
If the OP is seeing big large homes from Belle Isle he is looking at Detroit because all you can see in Windsor are apartments or condos. Once you are past the coast guard station on the North tip of of the Island you are looking across at the Sand Bar Lane South Conner Creek neighborhood of Detroit. Big beautiful homes on the riverfront beginning at $500,000. I attended a wedding in this area and it is the most beautiful setting around. Matter of fact 18 Sand Bar lane is for sale for 2.5 million if you want your peace of heaven
You can do a lot better than that for 2.5 million. Horribly ugly on the outside and looks like a subdivision house on the inside. What is wrong with today's architects?

Nice lot though.

For that kind of money, this is what I expect:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...819_rect/9_zm/

Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can do a lot better than that for 2.5 million. Horribly ugly on the outside and looks like a subdivision house on the inside. What is wrong with today's architects?

Nice lot though.

For that kind of money, this is what I expect:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...819_rect/9_zm/

But can they go in the back yard get in their cabin crusier and go watch a concert for free at Chene Park or have the best seat in the house for the fireworks.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
There are multi million dollar homes all along the eastern Windsor waterfront, it's definitely not just condos, although there are a fair amount of those too. It's not too hard to figure out what is Windsor and what is Detroit, Windsor is everything south of the river.

This one was selling for $6.5 million

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sa...sor-on-n8s-1a8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit