Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Downtown is improving. But I worry that it’s a fad. As for the neighborhoods, no, I don’t believe they’re improving. There’s poverty and a lot of people with no skills who don’t have the capacity to learn much of anything other than basic labor due to their upbringing and/or the school system. It’s a cultural problem that won’t be solved because nobody wants to address the systemic cultural issues in black communities due to the nature of our politically correct society.
I agree in general with this statement, and I am a black Detroit resident.

But I vehemently disagree that my people don't have the "capacity to learn much". These folks have just as much capacity to learn as you - it is just the culture in the hood does not nurture and cultivate an environment/expectations of learning and educational achievement. I believe the breakdown of nuclear family is the culprit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
This Detroit resurgence is not a fad, it’s real and it’s gaining even more momentum as we speak! I’m really excited to see what this region will look like in a decade from now, Windsor included!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 PM

169 posts, read 185,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I agree in general with this statement, and I am a black Detroit resident.

But I vehemently disagree that my people don't have the "capacity to learn much". These folks have just as much capacity to learn as you - it is just the culture in the hood does not nurture and cultivate an environment/expectations of learning and educational achievement. I believe the breakdown of nuclear family is the culprit
We’re essentially saying the same thing. Perhaps “capacity” was the wrong word. And yes, I agree that overall, black culture or “Hood Mentality” is the main culprit. And until and unless the culture changes, the neighborhoods, school system, crime issues, etc don’t stand a chance. Building skyscrapers, bars, restaurants, etc. downtown does nothing for the fatherless little Johnnies who’s mother is a crackhead who’s been leeching off the system her whole life because that’s all she knows. And there are a lot of little Johnnie’s. That’s what most people don’t get when speaking of Detroit’s “comeback”. The perceived solution is always throwing money at the problems via social programs that just don’t work.

So when people talk about Detroit’s comeback, I just chuckle, because Detroit’s downtown, midtown, Corktown, tech town, university district, and eastern market areas combined only encompass roughly 7 square miles of the city. It’s the other 136 square miles that actually encompass real neighborhoods. And if anyone has had experience with, lived in, and driven through these neighborhoods consistently for the last 20 years like I have, they’d realize that the “real Detroit”, the other 136 square miles of the city is not making a comeback. Don’t take my word for it, go out into the neighborhoods and ask the older folks and even the younger folks if their neighborhoods are improving.

Downtown, midtown, etc are great starts, but the real challenges lie in the expansive neighborhoods because of the culture.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
We’re essentially saying the same thing. Perhaps “capacity” was the wrong word. And yes, I agree that overall, black culture or “Hood Mentality” is the main culprit. And until and unless the culture changes, the neighborhoods, school system, crime issues, etc don’t stand a chance. Building skyscrapers, bars, restaurants, etc. downtown does nothing for the fatherless little Johnnies who’s mother is a crackhead who’s been leeching off the system her whole life because that’s all she knows. And there are a lot of little Johnnie’s. That’s what most people don’t get when speaking of Detroit’s “comeback”. The perceived solution is always throwing money at the problems via social programs that just don’t work.

So when people talk about Detroit’s comeback, I just chuckle, because Detroit’s downtown, midtown, Corktown, tech town, university district, and eastern market areas combined only encompass roughly 7 square miles of the city. It’s the other 136 square miles that actually encompass real neighborhoods. And if anyone has had experience with, lived in, and driven through these neighborhoods consistently for the last 20 years like I have, they’d realize that the “real Detroit”, the other 136 square miles of the city is not making a comeback. Don’t take my word for it, go out into the neighborhoods and ask the older folks and even the younger folks if their neighborhoods are improving.

Downtown, midtown, etc are great starts, but the real challenges lie in the expansive neighborhoods because of the culture.
My previous post just talked about how many neighborhoods outside of downtown did improve from a few years ago as well. I literally just gave a list of examples. And I'm almost positive that I'm in these neighborhoods and talking to people in the neighborhoods alot more then you are considering the fact that I live on the westside.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:31 PM

152 posts, read 165,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yes it is improving. It isn't just "downtown" either. In the neighborhoods public transportation has improved, police response times have improved, EMS response times have improved, unemployment rate is lower, violent crime including murders are getting better, nearly every street has working street lights now, street sweepers are back, more blight being cleared out, home values are rising in most neighborhoods, ect.

Is it where it should be? F*ck no! But it isn't a light switch either. You can't just have all the problems Detroit had a few years ago and expect everything to be Mayberry in just a few years. But the bottom line is it has improved from the bankruptcy and recession days.
AWESOME! I like this type of good news.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:

Detroit is and will continue to comeback as long as the national economy stays buoyant. Detroit declined because of the sentiments of those with power and or money believing that the region as a whole would be fine divesting from the city and investing in the suburbs. People believed that Detroit's proper decline would have no bearing on people and businesses in the suburbs. Detroit problems seemed to make many people feel better about themselves.

Today, however, such sentiments are recognized as the reason Detroit is unable to compete with MANY cities when it comes to attracting the coveted "Best and brightest" millennial's. The state recognizes that the best and brightest want vibrant urban core areas for work, play and to live often. Places that do not have that to offer will have a hard time attracting and or keeping the best and brightest. This means the companies who need those best and brightest to remain competitive in their industry, at worst, might have to move to places where the best and brightest want to be and certainly no major outside company will want to locate to a place that cannot even keep its home grown best and brightest.

Detroit HAS to comeback, for the health of the companies in the region and for the health of the state in general. To the outside world, Detroit proper sets the tone for the state of Michigan as a whole, when it comes to perception. Hence, as long as Detroit has a bad reputation Michigan will have a tainted reputation. Grand Rapids is not fully appreciated because its in the same state as Detroit and people suffer from the fallacy of composition.

In regards to Detroit and people saying that the culture of the people in the city will keep in from coming back, I call BS. That culture is not unique to Detroit. Atlanta is FULL of that culture in the city and suburbs and that place has grown by leaps and bounds. There is nothing going on in Detroit black culture that is not going on in Atlanta's black culture. Rather, there is something going on in metro ATLANTA's Culture that is not going on in Metro Detroit's culture and that is SELF LOATHING. Metro Detroit is a self loathing mindset, from residents to businesses, while metro Atlanta mindset is one of hyper self confidence, despite its massive "black culture", poor schools, crime, etc.

You become how you see yourself.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
My previous post just talked about how many neighborhoods outside of downtown did improve from a few years ago as well. I literally just gave a list of examples. And I'm almost positive that I'm in these neighborhoods and talking to people in the neighborhoods alot more then you are considering the fact that I live on the westside.
Yes, but not 20 years ago. he is talking about what he saw 20 years ago. You are just talking about the current conditions which is irrelevant to improvement. If it was awful 20 years ago and now is nice(r) that does not count as improvement . . .. because. . . well because we must all maintain the most negative outlook possible.

Also the decade long continuous improvement in downtown with billions of additional investment in the works that is a turn around far beyond anything ever seen anywhere - well that ten year run with another ten years of committed investment is just a fad. I will be it will not even last much longer than 100 years. That is just a flash in the pan the word is billions of years old. ten or a hundred years of continuous improvement in Downtown mean nothing in that context. Depending on what happens with water, Detroit may not even exist in a mere 60,000 years. The entire City is just a fad.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM

513 posts, read 499,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, but not 20 years ago. he is talking about what he saw 20 years ago. You are just talking about the current conditions which is irrelevant to improvement. If it was awful 20 years ago and now is nice(r) that does not count as improvement . . .. because. . . well because we must all maintain the most negative outlook possible.

Also the decade long continuous improvement in downtown with billions of additional investment in the works that is a turn around far beyond anything ever seen anywhere - well that ten year run with another ten years of committed investment is just a fad. I will be it will not even last much longer than 100 years. That is just a flash in the pan the word is billions of years old. ten or a hundred years of continuous improvement in Downtown mean nothing in that context. Depending on what happens with water, Detroit may not even exist in a mere 60,000 years. The entire City is just a fad.
It seems like there is a semantic disagreement on all these threads. If you are comparing the Detroit of today to the Detroit of years past, there has been a GREAT improvement.

If you are comparing the Detroit of today to other cities of today, Detroit still has a ways to go but is improving quickly. However, that is tempered by starting from a lower point than almost all other US cities. Like it or not, Detroit lost population faster than any other MAJOR United States city. It will take more time to catch up.

The perspective of a Detroit resident who has seen the changes over the last 10 years is going to differ from the perspective of an outsider who shows up to Detroit. Because they are comparing it to other US cities, not the Detroit of 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Actually the discussion was whether the current improvements in the core of the city are just a "fad"

However Detroit is widely recognized as having experienced a transformation on levels never seen before. When talking about other cities by comparison - no other city has reversed from awful to nice so dramatically and quickly. Although The dramatic reversal in Times Square was certainly pretty dramatic, but it was very slow.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:

There are several pockets outside of the downtown area that are improving - Mexicantown, Old Redford, Boston-Edison, Jefferson-Chalmers, the Villages (West Village, Indian Village, the Gold Coast, Joseph Berry), East English Village, the Sherwood Forest-University District area, and now the targeted "Fitzgerald" neighborhood.

The Shelbourne Development Company has restored SIX 1920's era apartment buildings in the Palmer Park Apartments district (maybe the most unique residential neighborhood in the state). The recently formed non-profit "People for Palmer Park" has brought many children's programs, and an excellent art fair back into the adjacent 296-acre Palmer Park

What hasn't really improved is the public school situation.

Last edited by usroute10; 02-07-2018 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit