Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,276 times

Advertisements

Recently I received a ticket for reckless driving in a residential area in Rochester Hills Michigan. I am 17 years old and I have a manual transmission BMW. I have a perfect driving record otherwise and I am an honor student at my school.
I was driving in a in a subdivision (speed limit 25 mph) and I went to make a right turn onto my friends road. As I turned, the head of the shifter came off when I shifted. This surprised me and I lost leverage on the steering wheel. I ended up driving up onto the sidewalk and a little part of someone's lawn. There was no damage done to the lawn or anything else. There was a neighbor out across the street, I did not even come close to them, who called the cops. I was a bit freaked out and I did not stop to talk to the neighbor. I continued on to my friends house. The cops found my car and gave me a ticket for reckless driving. The cop threatened 6 points on my license, but he also threatened 90 days in jail, so I don't know what to expect. Also, the cops hinted at me speeding and I said at most I went 35 mph. So my ticket said I was going 35. I was probably going between 25 and 30, but when I was talking to them I was stupid enough to round up a bit. I have a mandatory court appearance, I have not arranged it yet because I just got it and its the weekend. I have never even gotten a ticket before, so I dont know what to do. Should I get a lawyer? I read about asking to be put ender advisement or for my ticket to be reduced to civil infraction. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
I would think that if the cop did not see the incident the neighbor will have to testify. Police usually write tickets for what they ACTUALLY witness and generally cannot write a ticket based on hearsay.

I would take it to court and if the officer shows to testify, ask them to describe what they witnessed with their own eyes...

I would get a lawyer before talking to any officials in the city...

Should be a no-brainer...

BUT DOESN'T THAT BEEMER HAVE BRAKES??

This is candid-posting right? This is in no way a TRUE story...this is an absolute joke even if it is based on facts---

TWO tickets written by a cop who did NOT see anything??

READ the bottom of the ticket--

The officers signature attests / affirms / and SWEARS that what she/he has cited it true and factual to the best of her/his KNOWLEDGE and (I believe) state they are a WITNESS to the cited infractions..

I almost believed this was REAL....

You have like 30 days to schedule a court date --- MANDATORY OR NOT----

I need a new battery for my TROLLING motor...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 05-23-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,276 times
Default reply

No this is a true story, and the cop didnt see any of it. I dont really know what the reckless driving is for. Even if I was going 35 it would not be reckless driving, and loosing control of my car because my stick shift broke isnt reckless either. He must not have believed me that my shifter broke.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,613 times
Sorry bro, if you were going the limit you would have handled the car properly. Your shifter popping off does not cause your brakes to not work. Sounds like a bad judgement call based on inexperience and teenage hormones.

And the cop doesn't have to be there to write you a ticket. Ever hear of a cop writing a ticket at an accident scene? Kinda the same thing here. I could write you simply based on the neighbor seeing you come up on his lawn like that, with tire tracks, etc if I felt that you were indeed driving with your head up your butt

And another part of your story that doesn't make sense. Why would you be shifting in the middle of a turn? You downshift before the turn, correct? Also, you say at most 35, which you did admit you were speeding. You KNEW you were speeding and above the limit. I was your age once, I know what its like to drive a RWD stick shift car and to screw around and lose control of the car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit