Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:55 PM

84 posts, read 312,402 times

Advertisements

Well, I wouldn't be able to put ALL of them in.
It's not like the entire city is freaking terrible. But to stay on topic:
Midtown, Downtown, and the New Center (Uptown) area have seen developments. Brush Park, The east riverfront is a big one, condos everywhere along that area. Jefferson-Chalmers is undergoing some gentrification, people are trying to make the area a little more greener. There are a lot of areas in the westside as well. Anything that's called a NEXT Detroit neighborhood has pretty much been gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,783,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
Honestly, from what I've seen of Detroit, gentrification would be impossible. The city has decayed to such an extreme extent that nothing short of kicking out everyone there and airlifting in a million white suburbanites would change Detroit's future. I mean, look at this place:

1823 Burns St, Detroit, MI 48214 - Zillow

This place was nice, but if you go a little further east onto Fischer Street...ugh, forget about it. Crime, blight, and poverty abound. Would anyone want to live next to that?

Full-blown urban revitalization is needed, or else nothing will happen.
Gentrification is always possible, but there needs to be someone willing to buy up blighted properties and revitalize or replace them. Anyone with the means would be smart to start now. The prices will never be lower!

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to answer the question in the original post. Midtown Pontiac is getting thoroughly gentrified -- not technically in the city but definbitely a part of metro Detroit.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 101,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Motor View Post
Well, I wouldn't be able to put ALL of them in.
It's not like the entire city is freaking terrible. But to stay on topic:
Midtown, Downtown, and the New Center (Uptown) area have seen developments. Brush Park, The east riverfront is a big one, condos everywhere along that area. Jefferson-Chalmers is undergoing some gentrification, people are trying to make the area a little more greener. There are a lot of areas in the westside as well. Anything that's called a NEXT Detroit neighborhood has pretty much been gentrified.
What do you mean by NEXT Detroit neighborhood?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM

84 posts, read 312,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benigndmd View Post
What do you mean by NEXT Detroit neighborhood?
NEXT Detroit was a little project Kwame made, it basically showed "The good side of Detroit".
You can probably find out more with a quick Google search, they probably have a website.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM

26 posts, read 79,561 times
I grew up in the Detroit burbs, spending a lot of time downtown for various reasons, and live in Chicago. By normal standards, the answer to your question is "nowhere."

If you are willing to stretch your imagination look for new condo developments--there were several along the river back when I left in 2004--and what everyone else says, Corktown, parts of Indian Village, Boston Edison, Rosedale Park and various condo developments downtown.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM

59 posts, read 307,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
Now we sit down here on hold wishing we could get to Detroit.
This is sad my friend. I am a simple southerner who would give anything to get out of this state and get back to TN. Why on Gods green earth would someone want to leave the beautiful southland to come to a place as terrible as Detroit?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,883,164 times
What parts of Detroit city are gentrified?

Only the parts that are not in Michigan!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM

93,786 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Motor View Post
NEXT Detroit was a little project Kwame made, it basically showed "The good side of Detroit".
You can probably find out more with a quick Google search, they probably have a website.
I believe that this is the website: Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative

Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 31,284 times
Default Very sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
Honestly, from what I've seen of Detroit, gentrification would be impossible. The city has decayed to such an extreme extent that nothing short of kicking out everyone there and airlifting in a million white suburbanites would change Detroit's future. I mean, look at this place:

1823 Burns St, Detroit, MI 48214 - Zillow

This place was nice, but if you go a little further east onto Fischer Street...ugh, forget about it. Crime, blight, and poverty abound. Would anyone want to live next to that?

Full-blown urban revitalization is needed, or else nothing will happen.
Check this one out
148 Ottawa Dr, Pontiac, MI 48341 - Zillow
It's behind a house I was looking at on another website. In another slightly better place it would go for $400,000+. Looked to good to be true....it was. I'm all about older historic homes, revitalizing neighborhoods, but I guess I don't wanna be the first/only person living there with that idea

Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM

54 posts, read 142,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernerbychoice View Post
Check this one out
148 Ottawa Dr, Pontiac, MI 48341 - Zillow
It's behind a house I was looking at on another website. In another slightly better place it would go for $400,000+. Looked to good to be true....it was. I'm all about older historic homes, revitalizing neighborhoods, but I guess I don't wanna be the first/only person living there with that idea
If you can live further north, you may want to look at Flint. The downtown area has improved in leaps and bounds over the last 2-5 years. They have converted one hotel into student housing, and another one should be ready this year. There is section of town called the college cultural area that has old homes waiting to be rehabbed or updated. The area has remained safe, and it will be the first area to see increased home values as the downtown experiences increased growth.

Here's an example: 1014 Woodside Dr., Flint, MI, 48503 - 11090094 - Residential real estate - realestateone.com (http://www.realestateone.com/homes/11090094-1014_Woodside_Dr.-Flint-MI-48503 - broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit