Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,885 times

Advertisements

I went to high school with a number of students who lived in that part of Flint. It was always a nice, well-maintained area, and still is as of this past summer when I drove through there.

Friends who lived in this area had parents who were doctors, dentists, attorneys and other professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM

84 posts, read 311,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that this is the website: Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative
Great, thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 PM

93,214 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
I went to high school with a number of students who lived in that part of Flint. It was always a nice, well-maintained area, and still is as of this past summer when I drove through there.

Friends who lived in this area had parents who were doctors, dentists, attorneys and other professionals.
What part of the city of Flint is that? Is it the Southeastern part of the city?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 PM

45 posts, read 95,884 times
The only area in Detroit that you might be able to call "gentrified" is the Downtown/Midtown area. Even that area is in the beginning to middle stages of gentrification. Many young professionals and white folk have moved into those areas. Some have started bars and restaurants. Overall though, there's no area where there's a lot of tangible progress.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What part of the city of Flint is that? Is it the Southeastern part of the city?
I'd say that it's more the east central part of the city, more so than the southeastern. Follow Court Street east to Mott CC and look immediately south of Court and to the east, but not as far as Dort Highway. The elementary school in the area is Pierce.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM

74 posts, read 295,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
When property values get low enough the arts crowd moves in. Sometimes. With beautiful brick mansions going for $25k I can't believe there isn't a spark of revitalization somewhere in Detroit.

That's what I am talking about! How can you not buy a stunning old home for 20k?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times
I think Brush Park is really the one of the few areas that even looks close to a gentrified area. It's barely 2 1/2 city blocks though.

Google Maps

This area used to be a housing project and was converted into higher wealth homes and senior housing, but as you can see, not all of the lots are filled in. Though the homes are occupied, so it's not a terribly bad sight.

Google Maps

I should add that both of these areas were being built right before the housing crash of '08.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
Honestly, from what I've seen of Detroit, gentrification would be impossible. The city has decayed to such an extreme extent that nothing short of kicking out everyone there and airlifting in a million white suburbanites would change Detroit's future. I mean, look at this place:

1823 Burns St, Detroit, MI 48214 - Zillow

This place was nice, but if you go a little further east onto Fischer Street...ugh, forget about it. Crime, blight, and poverty abound. Would anyone want to live next to that?

Full-blown urban revitalization is needed, or else nothing will happen.
This will nto load on my computer, but I was amazed seeing a 5400 s.f. house for $106,000. However it says that it last sold in 2005 (near the peak of the market) for $68,000. If that is true, it should now be $30,000 not 106,000.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
Honestly, from what I've seen of Detroit, gentrification would be impossible. The city has decayed to such an extreme extent that nothing short of kicking out everyone there and airlifting in a million white suburbanites would change Detroit's future. I mean, look at this place:

1823 Burns St, Detroit, MI 48214 - Zillow

This place was nice, but if you go a little further east onto Fischer Street...ugh, forget about it. Crime, blight, and poverty abound. Would anyone want to live next to that?

Full-blown urban revitalization is needed, or else nothing will happen.
smh

Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Detroit won't be gentrified until good paying jobs come back. Minimum wage part time jobs in the exurbs won't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit