Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 02:00 PM

21 posts, read 54,907 times

Advertisements

Ive' posted here a few times before and have been very confused about where to live within an hour or so of Warren. Is there anywhere that has a diversity of race and has low crime and good schools? We are white..but moving somewhere that there are ONLY whites is not something I want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
I am not aware of anywhere that is ONLY whites. However many of the nicer areas with good schools are more than 70% white. I will list some safe cities with great schools and you cna lookup the demographics on Citydata.

Grosse Pointe (Grosse Pointe Farms, Woods, Park)
Birmingham
rochester Hills
Farmington,
Farmington hills.
Franklin
Beverly Hills
Troy
West Bloomfield.

Getting our a ways:
Livonia
Novi

Northville

Plymouth (pushing it to make it in one hour)

Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csue View Post
Ive' posted here a few times before and have been very confused about where to live within an hour or so of Warren. Is there anywhere that has a diversity of race and has low crime and good schools? We are white..but moving somewhere that there are ONLY whites is not something I want to do.
The more you get into a "diversified" area, the more the crime goes up. Pick one. You don't have to be politically correct to find a nice house. Just FYI.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,570 times
Many of the suggestions that Coldjensens gave were good.

Honestly, there is no point to waste two hours a day commuting to Warren if you don't absolutely have to. I would look into some of the suburbs in Macomb County or Eastern Oakland:

Macomb:
-Sterling Heights (fair schools, has become more diversified in recent years)
-Shelby Township (along with Utica schools are very good, less diversity)
-Clinton Twp (relatively good schools, very "leafy" and "spread out", about 90% White)

Oakland:
Troy (good schools, very diverse for Oakland County, 79% White, many Asian and Indian residents)
Rochester Hills (good schools, 87% White, therefore less diversity than Troy)
West Bloomfield (very good schools, 84% White, some areas can be pricey)

Other areas in Oakland that I would suggest would be Bloomfield Twp, with has very good schools, and is about 87% White. And the surrounding suburbs like Birmingham (which is quite expensive, but excellent schools), also look into Beverly Hills, some parts are part of Birmingham schools but the houses have a much lower price tag than Birmingham and the property taxes are lower.

In Wayne County I really don't have any suggestions for a decent commute to Warren. Northville is nice with excellent schools, but has a longer commute and is not very diverse. The Grosse Pointes on the eastside are also very nice with excellent schools, but again are not very diverse.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:56 AM

339 posts, read 976,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Many of the suggestions that Coldjensens gave were good.

Honestly, there is no point to waste two hours a day commuting to Warren if you don't absolutely have to. I would look into some of the suburbs in Macomb County or Eastern Oakland:

Macomb:
-Sterling Heights (fair schools, has become more diversified in recent years)
-Shelby Township (along with Utica schools are very good, less diversity)
-Clinton Twp (relatively good schools, very "leafy" and "spread out", about 90% White)

Oakland:
Troy (good schools, very diverse for Oakland County, 79% White, many Asian and Indian residents)
Rochester Hills (good schools, 87% White, therefore less diversity than Troy)
West Bloomfield (very good schools, 84% White, some areas can be pricey)

Other areas in Oakland that I would suggest would be Bloomfield Twp, with has very good schools, and is about 87% White. And the surrounding suburbs like Birmingham (which is quite expensive, but excellent schools), also look into Beverly Hills, some parts are part of Birmingham schools but the houses have a much lower price tag than Birmingham and the property taxes are lower.

In Wayne County I really don't have any suggestions for a decent commute to Warren. Northville is nice with excellent schools, but has a longer commute and is not very diverse. The Grosse Pointes on the eastside are also very nice with excellent schools, but again are not very diverse.

Excellent sugestions.

I work in Warren and live in the north part of Sterling Heights with Utica schools and we are very pleased. My commute to Warren is less than 20 min. Macomb County is very white, but if you go to the newer subdivisions you will find some diversity. My sub is three years old and although is still a mayority white we have representation of pretty much every continent. We have a couple of indian families and chinese, filipino, french, brazilian, black, middle eastern families too.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
How much diversity do you need?

You can find a lot of communities that are 90% or 80% white. Many of the statistics are somewhat skewed because asian, middle eastern, and hispianic peopole are counted as white. What cultural background do people have to have to count as "diversity" for you? How many people of each background do you need to see?

In Grosse Ile, we have execellent schools no crime to speak of and there are four black people in the community I believe. I know that there are at least two familes from the middle east, and one from India. Is that enough diversity?

While I am happy to see diversity, things like great schools, community involvement, moral and scoial atmosphere of the community (i.e. not snobby or pretentious, nor crass), safety, quiet, and similar items are far above diversity on the list of what makes a good community to me.

I have lived in communities where whites were a minority. I see no advantage to it. I see no real disadvantage either. It is just different, not better not worse. I simply do nto understand using diversity as a criteria for where to live. I posted this question before and no one ever provided any meaningful answer (although one person claimed it was just the PC thing to do and people grab the concept in a lemming like effort to do what they are told that they are supposed to do - I discounted this response as well.) There must be some percieved benefit to the concept of Diversity. What is it?

Is more diversity better? Is it best to live in a place where you are a minority?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM

189 posts, read 522,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
The more you get into a "diversified" area, the more the crime goes up. Pick one. You don't have to be politically correct to find a nice house. Just FYI.
Definitely not the case. Having grown up in Troy, where the Asian population is a very significant part of the community, I don't think the crime statistics were any different than other "less diverse" communities.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM

937 posts, read 2,835,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUCache View Post
Definitely not the case. Having grown up in Troy, where the Asian population is a very significant part of the community, I don't think the crime statistics were any different than other "less diverse" communities.
Asians generally don't commit that much crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit