Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywidow View Post
My husband's relo advisor just sent him an e-mail saying she found us a realtor -- in Commerce, Michigan! Uh, I think I need to call her and let her know that's no where near where we want to live!

UKUKUK, we'll def. be checking out the UP for vacations. We live on Long Island Sound which is in dire need of cleaning up and some more environmental protections. I haven't seen LI Sound water clear since I was a child.

But no second house for us! Maybe a little fishing boat for my husband in a year or two. I consider us pretty middle-class folk. Even with a lower cost of living, we'll use the extra money for college and retirement savings We have some friends with lucrative jobs in finance, and you'd never know it. They drive used cars, live in modest homes, and save for rainy days. An excellent book to read is called The Millionaire Next Door. Talks about the common traits of millionaires (which we aren't! maybe someday...), and it's not what most people think of.

When you start making the big bucks, save, save, save. I'd rather be able to retire debt-free and travel the world than wear Manolo Blaniks for a few months now! We've seen people pay the price for livin' the good life. A closet of expensive clothes aren't worth much when your house is in forclosure.
In that case, I have even more respect for you! So many New Yorkers come to Kentucky and other areas of the south and Midwest trying to own the place and flaunting their wealth. I was just saying if you're that type, do it right :P But I'm glad you're frugal! I REALLY respect that. A lot of the problem with our current economy and our nation in general is the general attitude most people (including myself sometimes) have about money.

On that note... wanna buy me a boat? :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Another surprise for you, the quality of college education available here is amazing. Not just the two big universities, there are awesome colleges everywhere. Check out Hillsdale sometime (then start saving).
Yeah, universities and high schools alike in Michigan top anything I've ever seen. The state may be in the poor house, but it's a place that values learning!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 PM

90 posts, read 200,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Yeah, universities and high schools alike in Michigan top anything I've ever seen. The state may be in the poor house, but it's a place that values learning!
One of the first things we plan on doing is opening up a Michigan state-sponsored 529 plan (rolling over $ from the CT plan) AND looking into the state program where you can pre-pay tuition at today's rate. Can't beat it!!! My husband worked as many as three jobs at a time to put himself thru college. I had to contribute to my college tuition each year as well, so we really want to save to help our kids as much as we can.

I've got a cool boat for you. But right now it's in the bathtub and has a toy dinosaur in it

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 PM

UKUKUK, my husband had breakfast today and Angelo's and loved it!!

Looks like we'll be moving to Grosse Pointe Park. He totally fell in love with the community.

Now the house hunt begins!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Sounds great! Good to hear you'll be in the area! If Detroit needs anything, it's positive attitudes, even in the Pointes, you'll still likely be contributing to Detroit businesses!

Also, I might take you up on that boat!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Ok, so sad about the little girl that was killed in the police raid this weekend. We have a few members of our family in law enforcement, so I can only imagine how horrible this is not only for the girls' family but also the police officer and all the officers involved in the raid.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
Hockeywidow,
I'm glad you found a new home. My mother lives in Manhattan (her second husband is a doctor; score for her I guess) and I lived there from 10-18years. My dad lives in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

I LOVE the Grosse Pointe suburbs (they remind me of the lakefront homes in Chicago). Alhtough, they have had sort of a flood of young people leaving them for the "western suburbs." The Pointes are more family oriented( viewed as "boring" by the 20 something crowd who look to western suburbs for "fun" (not too many night clubs in the Pointes).

Glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywidow View Post
UKUKUK, my husband had breakfast today and Angelo's and loved it!!

Looks like we'll be moving to Grosse Pointe Park. He totally fell in love with the community.

Now the house hunt begins!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
AND UKUKUK? can you stop chanting how great Detroit is???? BECAUSE IT'S NOT! I've lived in Manhattan, Chicago and San Diego. NO major city is LIKE DETROIT. You come from a very small town background (which is fine) where Detroit looks "OK" to you 'cause it was once a big, pretty city with nice old architectural buildings (although falling apart).

Detroit City is a WRECK and I'm down there almost every DAY! I have to apologize to every client who flies into what appears to them to be a warzone. AND THEY COMMENT ON IT! This isn't some sort of suburban "hate." This are outsiders from large cities who are STUNNED. They come from MAJOR cities who have SECTIONS that MAY look like DETROIT, but NOT the entire city! I have to explain that we need to put them in a hotel in a suburb if they wish to go shopping or see a movie while in town (AND that is shameful for even a small city NOT to have a shopping mall or movie theater).

You beat ON and ON about how people don't give Detroit a chance. When Dennis Archer (a man who actually didn't openly hate white as the previous mayor had) became mayor many people in the suburbs thought this was a person who could build the city back. What happened? The people IN THE CITY called him a "Uncle tom" because he actually worked with WHITE PEOPLE! OMG! How terrible it is to work in tandem with White suburbanites!

So then we get the "Ghetto Fabulous", Kuame as Mayor and it went down hill fast from there (back to the times of Coleman.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Sounds great! Good to hear you'll be in the area! If Detroit needs anything, it's positive attitudes, even in the Pointes, you'll still likely be contributing to Detroit businesses!

Also, I might take you up on that boat!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipont6 View Post
AND UKUKUK? can you stop chanting how great Detroit is???? BECAUSE IT'S NOT! I've lived in Manhattan, Chicago and San Diego. NO major city is LIKE DETROIT. You come from a very small town background (which is fine) where Detroit looks "OK" to you 'cause it was once a big, pretty city with nice old architectural buildings (although falling apart).

Detroit City is a WRECK and I'm down there almost every DAY! I have to apologize to every client who flies into what appears to them to be a warzone. AND THEY COMMENT ON IT! This isn't some sort of suburban "hate." This are outsiders from large cities who are STUNNED. They come from MAJOR cities who have SECTIONS that MAY look like DETROIT, but NOT the entire city! I have to explain that we need to put them in a hotel in a suburb if they wish to go shopping or see a movie while in town (AND that is shameful for even a small city NOT to have a shopping mall or movie theater).

You beat ON and ON about how people don't give Detroit a chance. When Dennis Archer (a man who actually didn't openly hate white as the previous mayor had) became mayor many people in the suburbs thought this was a person who could build the city back. What happened? The people IN THE CITY called him a "Uncle tom" because he actually worked with WHITE PEOPLE! OMG! How terrible it is to work in tandem with White suburbanites!

So then we get the "Ghetto Fabulous", Kuame as Mayor and it went down hill fast from there (back to the times of Coleman.)
tl;dr but I've lived in Chicago, Munich, spent 6 months in Madrid, Birmingham, AL, San Diego, extreme eastern Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, Milwaukee, and Champaign, IL

I love Detroit as much as any of those places (even Madrid, which to me, is THE greatest city on Earth) and have an INCREDIBLE amount of hope for the city.

I'm sure the fine people of Detroit have a lot of things for you to suck on.

On that note, Lexington is a pretty big city, I'd hardly call it a small town. It has a population rivaling that of Cincinnati proper. Not to mention the city is just miles from Cincinnati and Louisville and day trips can be made there. If a metro of 2mil+ is small, you must have some pretty ridiculous expectations.

It's not just the mayor, he's not the only one capable of pushing change in Detroit.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Everybody please calm down. No need to get personal here.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit