Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

MONDAY, June 11 (HealthDay News) -- A diagnosis of diabetes means losing an average of eight years from your expected life span, new research shows.

In addition, diabetics are more likely to develop heart disease sooner than non-diabetics, the study found.

"Having diabetes at age 50 years and over does not only represent a significant increase in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and mortality but also a very important loss in life expectancy and life expectancy free from cardiovascular disease," said lead author Dr. Oscar H. Franco, of the University Medical Center Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and Unilever Corporate Research, Sharnbrook, England.

Diabetes Cuts 8 Years Off Life - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 07:58 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MONDAY, June 11 (HealthDay News) -- A diagnosis of diabetes means losing an average of eight years from your expected life span, new research shows.

In addition, diabetics are more likely to develop heart disease sooner than non-diabetics, the study found.

"Having diabetes at age 50 years and over does not only represent a significant increase in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and mortality but also a very important loss in life expectancy and life expectancy free from cardiovascular disease," said lead author Dr. Oscar H. Franco, of the University Medical Center Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and Unilever Corporate Research, Sharnbrook, England.

Diabetes Cuts 8 Years Off Life - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sure we all needed the added burden of knowing we have 8 years less to live with diabetes. Well I have either had diabetes or been dealing with the beginnings of it since I was barely 20, and I am 57 now, so I must have been doing something right, cause I am in better shape with this desease than alot of people my age who don't have this desease or other health complications. Im sure you mean well, but did it have to sound like such a death sentence.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
Hi, I have diabetes type 2. All my mother side of the family have diabetes to and I do have a uncle that walks 2 miles everyday and he is 81 years old. This is bad news for me also if I don't take care of myself now.

John

Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,689 times
Folks with type 2 diabetes frequently progress to the disease via poor lifestyle choices. Honestly, based on the fact that these patients come "prepackaged" with cardiovascular disease risk, heart attack risk, hypertension risk....well, it really doesn't surprise me. The question should be - does diabetes do this to patients or is it just a manifestation of poor lifestyle? I would wager it is lifestyle. What causes microvascular damage in diabetes is simply poor glycemic control. Cut off the head of the viper before it strikes; take control over your diabetes and this 8 year statistic will mean little to you.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sure we all needed the added burden of knowing we have 8 years less to live with diabetes. Well I have either had diabetes or been dealing with the beginnings of it since I was barely 20, and I am 57 now, so I must have been doing something right, cause I am in better shape with this desease than alot of people my age who don't have this desease or other health complications. Im sure you mean well, but did it have to sound like such a death sentence.
Bravo! Read about the 90 year olds with Type 1 that are doing very well! I think diabetes is a blessing in diguise because we don't have a choice but to stay healthy and do the right things. I was diagnosed at 44, now 48, and I work out almost every day and eat right and I am in better shape and look better than I ever did! For those who don't take care of themselves, well, you accelerate your demise faster than those that do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes