Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and received my meter, lancets, strips just a couple of days ago.

What is the proper way to dispose of the lancets and strips? The nurse told me to put them in a container, but I don't recall what type of container and HOW to dispose of it (I was too upset at my diagnosis that my memory went whoosh).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,736 times
You can just use an old vitamin bottle (or any hard plastic bottle with a screw on lid is what I use.) But the test strips can just go in the trash. The lancets are the only danger, which is why you just want to be sure they are in a container thick enough that they cannot pierce it, and then just throw the container in the trash when full. Good luck. With diet and exercise I brought down my weight and sugar levels tremendously within only two months!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
The nurse was probably talking about a sharps container. You can pick them up at most drugstores near the diabetic supplies.
http://www.cathedralcity.gov/Modules...px?imageid=349

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM

Great! Seems easy enough. Thank you!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,736 times
http://www.epa.gov/osw/education/pdfs/han-care.pdf

No sharps container or mailing of it afterward necessary unless your jurisdiction REQUIRES it, however. EPA guidelines above.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 AM

77 posts, read 170,531 times
Sharps containers are a real hassle as no-one (usually) wants to take them once they are full, like your local pharmacist (my one told me put them in your trash!).

You can also buy a needle cutter, but cutting the lancets is quite hard as they are thicker than injection needles and are also quite short.
And this device is really meant for insulin needles.
When the container is full, you just discard it in the trash and buy another. The cut up needles can't get out.

I now cut my insulin needles with a normal pair of scissors, including any metal element left in the syringe. I cut the needles into the trash and they should be fine like this.
I then put the plastic elements of the syringes into my regular recycling, usually in a 2-liter plastic bottle of diet coke, with a label on it saying there is no metal inside.

Really, the diabetic nurse or doctor should tell you the right procedures and the equipment you need when they diagnose you. You shouldn't have to come onto forums to ask these basic questions that any good clinic should know.

Because of the hassle with lancets, I discard my lancets, whole, in my regular trash. I've not had any issue for many years.
Because of the cost to me, I re-use my lancets several times, about 5-8 times, until it gets too painful.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 AM

I'm not using insulin, so I have no needles to dispose of.

The lancets I use are in a cartridge, 6 lances to a cartridge. Once they're all used, I eject the cartridge from the device it's inserted in, and none of the lancets are exposed.

And the nurse did tell me something about disposal of the lancets, I just don't remember exactly what she told me as far as the container is concerned.

And if I can't come to a diabetic forum for a basic question, then why should any newly-diagnosed seek any advice from peers? Don't answer it it bothers you so much, pims.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm not using insulin, so I have no needles to dispose of.

The lancets I use are in a cartridge, 6 lances to a cartridge. Once they're all used, I eject the cartridge from the device it's inserted in, and none of the lancets are exposed.

And the nurse did tell me something about disposal of the lancets, I just don't remember exactly what she told me as far as the container is concerned.

And if I can't come to a diabetic forum for a basic question, then why should any newly-diagnosed seek any advice from peers? Don't answer it it bothers you so much, pims.
If there are no exposed sharps on your lancet cartridges, just toss them in the trash. If you want to be double sure, put them in a hard plastic container. I have a diabetic dog who gets insulin. I am currently using a vitamin bottle. When it is full of syringes, It goes in the trash. Anything puncture resistant will do.

Cutting the needle off any syringe increases the risk that the person handling the needle will get stuck.

If you use a specially designed sharps disposable container, usually red and labelled hazardous medical waste, your garbage collector may decline to take it. You may have to pay to get it disposed of.

We obviously dispose of items contaminated with blood in the ordinary trash without a second thought, such as tissues used to blow your nose, bandages for cuts and scrapes, and feminine hygiene products. The presence of blood is not the issue. The issue is blood on something sharp that might penetrate the garbage bag and injure someone.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM

77 posts, read 170,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

Instead of throwing a tantrum about others, why don't you just call up the nurse who you spoke to and ask them again?
Instead of doing that which is much quicker & easier task, you chose to go through a much longer winded and route of getting medical advice from nameless, unqualified and unaccountable persons?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
Instead of throwing a tantrum about others, why don't you just call up the nurse who you spoke to and ask them again?
Instead of doing that which is much quicker & easier task, you chose to go through a much longer winded and route of getting medical advice from nameless, unqualified and unaccountable persons?

Why is advice from others who use syringes and lancets not valuable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes