Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times

Advertisements

i found out a few weeks ago I'm type 2 diabetic, I'm taking one pill a day and on a diet of healthy foods, my problem is that my doctor wants to see my blood under 160 2 hours after meals and around 100 to 120 in the morning, I got the after meals down to 145 to 155 but it's still around 150 to 160 in the morning, i eat dinner around 4 PM and test at 6:30 and I'll be 150 or there about. Is there something I can do, eat or drink that will help over night to lower the blood sugar? i also am taking cinnamon capsules, 2000mg a day.
The pill I'm taking is for controlling the blood sugar between meals.
I'm guessing I've had this for a few years because I have been so tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM

591 posts, read 664,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
i found out a few weeks ago I'm type 2 diabetic, I'm taking one pill a day and on a diet of healthy foods, my problem is that my doctor wants to see my blood under 160 2 hours after meals and around 100 to 120 in the morning, I got the after meals down to 145 to 155 but it's still around 150 to 160 in the morning, i eat dinner around 4 PM and test at 6:30 and I'll be 150 or there about. Is there something I can do, eat or drink that will help over night to lower the blood sugar? i also am taking cinnamon capsules, 2000mg a day.
I hope I can answer your question. My diabetes counselor said, you have to have a snack before you go to bed. It has to have a protein with it. Like: 3 squares of graham cracker, and a little peanut butter on it. or graham cracker (3 sq) and a piece of no fat cheese. or. an small apple and that peanut butter. It really works. I am also type 2. For 9 years now. I take my time release Metformin at 7pm. that also helps. LADYBEE

Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
My diabetic nutrition counselor told me that the same hormones that cause us to wake up in the morning also cause a rise in glucose. I am on insulin for type II so my schedule is different from yours. You should talk to your doctor about this as he may want to prescribe something to be taken at bedtime.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,705 times
Default Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and Diabetes

I started to read about ACV and one of the stated benefits was to improve diabetes.

I suggest the health food store brands like Braggs, It's more expensive then the .99 supermarket salad dressing type but it has more to it.

I put 1 -2 oz in a pint glass add water and drink as fast as I can

I actually find it refreshing after a moment.

Feel well.

Couple of quick links, but again, read on your own and try to stay away from marketing and adverts.

Apple Cider Vinegar - What You Need to Know About Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar Used For Diabetes - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

http://www.karenspencerdees.com/form...derVinegar.pdf

Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
I would suggest checking your blood sugar before you go to bed and occasionally in the middle of the night if you can. What's happening with you blood sugars can be caused by many things. Checking your blood sugar at night can help you figure out what's going on.

One of the first things that came to my mind is the "dawn phenomenon". This where your blood sugar levels rise right before you wake. It has something to do with the hormones that are released by your body.

You could also be experiencing what is called "rebound hyperglycemia". This is where your blood sugar dips too low during the night. Sometimes you wake up shaky and sweaty as a result of the low, but if not, your liver can release glucose to raise your blood sugar level. Unfortuantely the liver often releases too much glucose causing you to have high readings in the morning.

The previous poster is right about having a snack before bed, especially if your blood sugar level is below 120mg/dl. For my nightime snack, I like to have a complex carbohydrate like mini-wheats along with a protein like yogurt or cheese.

I should also add that it's important to discuss this with your doctor. I'm no expert by any means, I've just been dealing with this disease for 8 years now. Good luck to you.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
I'm a physician so hopefully I can shed some light on this.

There are two concepts you should be aware. One is called the Dawn phenomenon and the other is the Somogyi effect. Both describe morning hyperglycemia but they are caused by different mechanisms.

In the Dawn phenomenon - the person's own body or counterregulatory hormones kick in at about 3 AM and the person wakes up with hyperglycemia. The treatment is to increase the evening dose of NPH if that is what you are on.

In the Somogyi effect - the person is given too much insulin in the evening and the person has a rebound effect to their 3 AM hypoglycemia in which the body reacts and results in hyperglycemia in the morning. The treatment for that is to cut down on the evening dose of NPH.

I would definitely discuss this issue with your doctor as this isn't uncommon.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
i found out a few weeks ago I'm type 2 diabetic<>Is there something I can do, eat or drink that will help over night to lower the blood sugar? <> I'm guessing I've had this for a few years because I have been so tired.
Eventually you will begin to feel better and more energetic. I personally think you need to be more aggressive with taking supplements such as vitamins and especially B12. I am guessing your weight is also an issue, so as you begin to manage that you will feel better, too. This usually goes with the territory . . .
Market America has a supplement called "Level 90" which you should investigate as a complement to the treatments your doctor recommends. It works with both problems. Check with your doctor, of course.
Advanced Level 90 Blood Sugar Maintenance (by Market America, Inc.) : Information on Uses, Dosage & Side Effects on Healthline.com (http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/advanced-level-90-blood-sugar-maintenance#H1 - broken link)
links to a third party site that explains the effects of each ingredient. You can google for a Market America distributor near you.
When you find the Market America information be sure to click the "Science" tab which shows several medical studies on the effects of the ingredients.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Of course I've failed to mention I work rotating shift work, 12 hour shifts, I'm sure that isn't going to help.
thanks for the replies, I'm reading every one and taking this serious, It's funny but before I knew I had this I just thought it was a sleeping problem, I was tired all the time and would wake up worn out, on my lat set of nights I was able to get everything in line, I was running 130 after meals and 111 when I first got up, I felt great and then I rotated to day shift and everything went high and then I realized how bad I have been feeling all along.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
You may also have obstructive sleep apnea. Do you twitch in your sleep, dream you're falling or stumbling, snore? All signs of OSA. Your doctor can order a simple overnight oximetry test to be done at home, which will help clarify if you have it.

Although many overweight people have it, it's more of a structural defect in your throat. Babies are born w/it sometimes and skinny people have it.

Sorry to highjack the thread but you mentioned sleep difficulties.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You may also have obstructive sleep apnea. Do you twitch in your sleep, dream you're falling or stumbling, snore? All signs of OSA. Your doctor can order a simple overnight oximetry test to be done at home, which will help clarify if you have it.

Although many overweight people have it, it's more of a structural defect in your throat. Babies are born w/it sometimes and skinny people have it.

Sorry to highjack the thread but you mentioned sleep difficulties.
Actually uncontrolled diabetes can cause extreme fatigue. It's because the energy (aka glucose) we get from carbohydrates does not make it's way into our cells. Insulin is the "key" that unlocks our cells' "doors" enabling glucose to enter. Unfortunately, most diabetics are either insulin resistant (common in overweight diabetics) or make little if any insulin (mostly seen in type I diabetics).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes