Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Primary Care Physician.

Not all doctors are good but certainly few are as bad as MaryLee had. I have always gotten a copy of all reports.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is true!

I didn't word my post very well. The endocrinologist was skating on thin ice when I saw her. I found out later she was on a type of "probation" for not bringing in enough money to the group practice. So, of course, she was on edge. I just called and got an appt with the first available, which was her. she was snitty from the start. One might say I should have changed doctors right away, but, it takes time to get an appt, and you think the relationship might just work. She did prescribe metaformin, so, give it a try. Then, all of the above post happened over a period of months. Also, we were moving, and I had other problems, with my back, my son, yadda, yadda......so, I just let it slip.

Well, I'm on the ball now, that's what counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
A word of caution. ANY, medication to control blood sugar levels, takes time to flood the system and get your system to respond. It's not like taking an aspirin for a headache and having results in 15 minutes. Some people it takes a day or two, others take up to 3 or 4 days. So doctors are reluctant to make changes very fast. Labwork and your testimony of what's happening, along with your readings that you are experiencing, will help him/her make the decision to up the dose. So be patient, you'll get the readings you need.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
A word of caution. ANY, medication to control blood sugar levels, takes time to flood the system and get your system to respond. It's not like taking an aspirin for a headache and having results in 15 minutes. Some people it takes a day or two, others take up to 3 or 4 days. So doctors are reluctant to make changes very fast. Labwork and your testimony of what's happening, along with your readings that you are experiencing, will help him/her make the decision to up the dose. So be patient, you'll get the readings you need.

Thanks--I realize that! I appreciate that's why this doctor is taking a go-slow approach with the meds. I really think the decrease I'm seeing in blood glucose is mainly due to diet right now. I'm not eating a picture-perfect diet, but I am meeting the goals, that's all that matters.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
My doctors took almost three weeks to get me on the proper meds. I started on Metformin long before I was diagnosed (my story is in another thread).
Last October I was given a glucose test kit and told I WAS diabetic. The first few times I used the meter I was beyond the numbers and my meter said "HI".
I started taking Lantus that night and for the next two - three weeks. Readings came down along with that sugar buzz, but not fast enough.
Then I was put on 70/30 - 25 units twice a day. Within days my sugar was leveling to normal readings.
Right now my a1c is 6.1 and my doctor is thrilled. I am losing weight slowly and walking more.

Last year at this time I was denying what was right before my (blurry, wacked out) eyes. This year I am feeling so much better.
It's amazing what can happen in year.

You and your doctors will get it under control. It just takes time - which you are already aware of.
Good luck and good health.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM

My situation is more complicated because I take prednisone, 15 mg/day. I've been on that dose for years, and can't simply stop it. I take it for RA. I have a very severe case, and nothing helped except prednisone. I'm now on other meds that help the RA, so, we're anticipating reducing the prednisone, but it will take a long, long time. I tried going 1 mg/month, that's too extreme for me. They suggest perhaps 1 mg/3 months, I know the prednsione has caused the diabetes, and other problems. This new PCP is willing to work with my rheumatologist to reduce the prednisone. Meanwhile, we do what we can.

I'm pleased I've gotten positive results already. My readings are about 40% lower than last week, that's a big drop! I was running around 590, 600+. Now, I'm running about 300+. Ok, that's not good, but its quite a drop! Also, that horrible dry mouth is gone, and I feel more clear headed, my vision is better. I notice I don't need my glasses so much for small print.

I've got a ways to go, but on my way!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My situation is more complicated because I take prednisone, 15 mg/day. I've been on that dose for years, and can't simply stop it. I take it for RA. I have a very severe case, and nothing helped except prednisone. I'm now on other meds that help the RA, so, we're anticipating reducing the prednisone, but it will take a long, long time. I tried going 1 mg/month, that's too extreme for me. They suggest perhaps 1 mg/3 months, I know the prednsione has caused the diabetes, and other problems. This new PCP is willing to work with my rheumatologist to reduce the prednisone. Meanwhile, we do what we can.

I'm pleased I've gotten positive results already. My readings are about 40% lower than last week, that's a big drop! I was running around 590, 600+. Now, I'm running about 300+. Ok, that's not good, but its quite a drop! Also, that horrible dry mouth is gone, and I feel more clear headed, my vision is better. I notice I don't need my glasses so much for small print.

I've got a ways to go, but on my way!
I've read that there are two kinds of Metformin -- a regular formula and a extended release formula. The ER formula is supposed to be easier on tummies....

Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've read that there are two kinds of Metformin -- a regular formula and a extended release formula. The ER formula is supposed to be easier on tummies....
That's good to know!

I'm currently on glyburide, with no problem so far. Yout information makes me even more angry with the so-called endocrinologist I saw a few years ago. She never mentioned metformin in an ER form All she did was run up a bill, then refuse to see me until the bill was paid, and refer me to collection! BTW, she never filed in insurance, which was why the bill was so high. she flat out didn't know WTH she was doing in any regard!

As usual, the patient has to stay on top of things and advocate for themselves. Diabetes is a potentially very devastating disease, we must do all we can to conquer it. Thanks goodness we live in the information age when information is more readily available.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not sure when the ER form became available. I didn't know of it until I read tthe post above. Doctors don't do their own billing, they either have a clerk who does it or a service that does it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-12-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not sure when the ER form became available. I didn't know of it until I read tthe post above. Doctors don't do their own billing, they either have a clerk who does it or a service that does it.

Well....still, I got absolutely nothing from dealing with her. I'm getting more with this doctor, which ia what its all about. The patient isn't there to serve the doctor's finances! Regardless of when the ER form was available, she could have prescribed something else when I told her I kept throwing up the metaformin. The doctor should be aware of their own financial policy, they wouldn't even return phone calls when my account was referred out for collection. They never even filed on insurance, and wouldn't give me the paperwork to file. Instead, I was just left hanging..........

whatever, we seem to be on the right track now!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Ok, today FBG = 187

Last week it was running 260+ for fasting, and 300--400 during the day. Looks like I'm on my way!

And the horrible dry mouth is gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes