Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM

265 posts, read 873,918 times

Advertisements

I have been a diabetic type 2 for about 20 years now. Recently I have developed pain behind my right knee. Have had ultrsound to rule out cyst, blood clot, etc. All negative, but the pain persists.

I have been taking ibuprofen for the pain. It helps somewhat, but not completely. Have asked my doctor for something stronger for the pain, but he is reluctant for me to go to narcotic type drugs. Right now i am supposed to make diet changes to get even better control of my blood sugars.

Have been reading about Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Neurontin. Just wondered if others have experience with these drugs and their side effects. My doctor doesn't seem to want to go that route so far, but I am the one who is in pain.

Would welcome any suggestions, stories, from others in my situation. Thanks much for any comments.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Getting your blood sugar down is an important thing to do with nueropathy.
Pain only behind the knee seems to be an unusal symptom for nueropathy, but then, I'm not a doctor.....don't even play one on TV.
Have you discussed checking with a good sports doctor about possible ligament/tendon damage?
I could recite the side effects from Nuerontin and Lyrica from family members but they vary so much from person to person, that I doubt it'd be really useful.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
I've been taking Neurontin for over a year with no side effects that I have noticed. It was prescribed because I had a horrible burning in the center of my back whenever I stood up for too long, and a burning cold numbness down my left leg. The medicine has done wonders for the back burning, but not the leg.
Just this past month I found out the leg problem is from a neck problem which requires surgery.

I also take Baclofen for muscle spasms. Without this medicine I get cramps that won't let up.
Seriously, I call these two drugs my 'miracle drugs' because without them I am in 10x the pain I am normally in.

I can't take Motrin for pain because of a previous stomach bleed, but do take Aleve almost daily. Sometimes two a day don't always do the job, but my doc did ok four a day if needed.
I refuse to take narcotic drugs because I hate the drowsy, air-headed feeling. They make me want to do nothing but sleep.
Took Vicodin for two days after I broke my wrist. Smoked herb after that and needed nothing else. Herb does not put me to sleep, it makes me want to create something.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks to tulani for your comments.
I assume that herb refers to medical marijuana, or am I wrong. Also the reference to create something is puzzling. Could you clarify. Thanks much.

Jim

ps I have heard that use of medical mauijuana does help with diabetic neuropathy . Am also looking for confirmation on this. Sounds like you may be confirming this. OK?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM

245 posts, read 765,727 times
Well... assuming it's diabetic neuropathy, a supplement called Benfotiamine might help. It's a fat soluble version of Thiamine (vitamin B-1). Worth a try...

http://www.benfotiamine.org/FAQ.htm

(standard disclaimer blurb: before taking anything new, do your homework, talk with your doctor, yada...yada...yada)

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 11-12-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
neurontin is used for neuropathy but behind the knee doesn't sound like neuropathy-at least most peripheral neuropathy associated with diabetes is in the feet. it has helped me to get and stay asleep and manage night time feet pain but if i took it during the day I would be a walking zombie.

lyrica is used for pain but it can cause weight gain. never tried it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
My board-certified podiatrist told me to take 4 gm of L-Argenine daily to help restore blood flow to my feet. He said it would help with the neuropathy and he was right. Not very expensive, either.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
Thanks to tulani for your comments.
I assume that herb refers to medical marijuana, or am I wrong. Also the reference to create something is puzzling. Could you clarify. Thanks much.

Jim

ps I have heard that use of medical mauijuana does help with diabetic neuropathy . Am also looking for confirmation on this. Sounds like you may be confirming this. OK?
Yes, it is medical (but I don't like to use the made up m word anymore). I don't have a card (yet) but swear by the stuff. Anything that mellows me out and relaxes me helps with my neuropathy.
My doctor is aware that I smoke (and now can use a vaporizer) and has no problem with it.

Sorry, I forget not everyone creates things. I am a crafty person, who loves to 'create' things. When I am high I am more inclined to get busy on making something. I am also a writer, so write a LOT when I partake.
I can't do anything on narcotics - except sleep!

(PS... I smoke to get high. The medical and creative benefits are wonderful side effects.)

Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks to all for your very informative comments.

Right now I am taking 2 pills of ibuprofen 3 times a day. This is higher than recommended max dosage of 3 pills per day. My nurse practicioner says I shouldn't take them long term because of possibly stomach bleeding. I asked how long that was and she said 2 weeks. I am already close to that. Is she correct??? I would think long term is longer than 2 weeks.

Anyway, she and my regular doctor have not diagnosed me with neuropathy yet. So far the ultrasound has ruled out a cyst and blood clot. That have done a physical test on my knee to check for possible problems there. They rotated the knee and moved it back and forth and everything was OK. Suggestion has been made of arithritis. Now they want to do an x-ray on the knee.

I asked how they would diagnose neuropathy and got no good answer. There was some sort of nerve test that can be performed. She couldn't tell my exactly what it is other than it can be uncomfortable.

Right now I am to keep a diary of my pain and stay on the ibuprofen and then see my regular doctor in 2 weeks when i will be asked most likely to get the x-ray.

Seems like they need to rule out the possiblity of arithritis or muscle problems before they move onto the neuropathy test whatever that may be.

Does any of this seem plausible to those of you out there with experience ?? Should I believe my nurse practicioner / doctor on this. I live in a rural area so not sure about the quality of the medical staff out here.

Jim

Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
Thanks to all for your very informative comments.

Right now I am taking 2 pills of ibuprofen 3 times a day. This is higher than recommended max dosage of 3 pills per day. My nurse practicioner says I shouldn't take them long term because of possibly stomach bleeding. I asked how long that was and she said 2 weeks. I am already close to that. Is she correct??? I would think long term is longer than 2 weeks.

Anyway, she and my regular doctor have not diagnosed me with neuropathy yet. So far the ultrasound has ruled out a cyst and blood clot. That have done a physical test on my knee to check for possible problems there. They rotated the knee and moved it back and forth and everything was OK. Suggestion has been made of arithritis. Now they want to do an x-ray on the knee.

I asked how they would diagnose neuropathy and got no good answer. There was some sort of nerve test that can be performed. She couldn't tell my exactly what it is other than it can be uncomfortable.

Right now I am to keep a diary of my pain and stay on the ibuprofen and then see my regular doctor in 2 weeks when i will be asked most likely to get the x-ray.

Seems like they need to rule out the possiblity of arithritis or muscle problems before they move onto the neuropathy test whatever that may be.

Does any of this seem plausible to those of you out there with experience ?? Should I believe my nurse practicioner / doctor on this. I live in a rural area so not sure about the quality of the medical staff out here.

Jim
Believe me Jim, you do NOT want to have the nerve tests done if you can help it! I had two different tests done this year and both were torture. However, the one done with electrical prongs was so bad I would only wish this on my mortal enemy. They wire you with electrodes from ankle to head and zap you with this prong thing. This sends waves throughout your nervous system and I felt every moment of it from feet to head. It wasn't so bad when they were doing the hands/arms, but when they did the ankles I about came off the table.
I don't know medical names for tests, just that they were no fun.
I had these tests for two reasons: one was to see if I do have neuropathy (I do), and the other was to see if my leg problem was from the neck problem or the diabetes (it is related to the neck).

Long term Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeds. I was taking 1000 mg daily for over a month when it began eating my stomach. I told my doctor I thought the Motrin was eating my stomach and she told me, "That can't be so. That doesn't happen." This was back in 1994. She wanted me to double my dosage and instead I completely stopped it. This was on a Weds that I saw her... by Saturday I was in the hospital vomiting blood.
Long term Motrin use for me now is two doses in a row. No more. I do take them when I really need to bring down inflammation in my neck, otherwise I stick to Aleve.

I hope they figure out the cause of your knee pain. If they don't you will have to chalk it up to growing pains. Yes, we have 'growing OLD pains'!! Arthritis can play hell with the knees.

Last edited by tulani; 11-16-2012 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes