Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,218 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on what would cause a blood sugar reading to rise 30 points (give or take) while I'm sleeping? I check right before bed and, when I wake up about 8 hours later...my numbers have gone up . My fasting number is generally my highest number of the day. All my other numbers throughout the day are fairly well controlled...just can't figure out that night time thing.

Any ideas on what could cause sugars to rise throughout the night? And, no, I am not snacking before bed or getting up and raiding the fridge in the wee hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Dawn phenomenon. Dawn phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Some people find that a small snack before bed will help keep it from happening.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
I've eaten a plum before bed time and found my readings are better in the morning. Otherwise it will often rise 15-20 points mg/dl.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Any thoughts on what would cause a blood sugar reading to rise 30 points (give or take) while I'm sleeping? I check right before bed and, when I wake up about 8 hours later...my numbers have gone up . My fasting number is generally my highest number of the day. All my other numbers throughout the day are fairly well controlled...just can't figure out that night time thing.

Any ideas on what could cause sugars to rise throughout the night? And, no, I am not snacking before bed or getting up and raiding the fridge in the wee hours.
Dawn phenomenon is one explanation. Your body anticipates that you will need energy in the morning and secretes adrenalin which causes your blood sugar to rise.

Another explanation is something I've heard called "somogyi". This occurs when your blood sugar drops low at night and you experience a rebound as your counter regulatory hormones kick in that causes you to have a high blood glucose level.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/125432-overview

Its worth evaluating what you are eating and, if you are taking insulin, how much, before bed. If you are dropping low because of too much insulin, you may want to consider adjusting the dose. If the problem is dawn phenomenon, the solution maybe to get up earlier and take your morning dose of insulin than.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 629 times
HI
An ascent in glucose level between more or less 3 A.M. furthermore, the time you wake up is known as the "day break marvel. Overnight, the body may discharge expanded levels of glucose and hormones. During the evening, while we are sleeping, the liver discharges glucose into the circulation system. The liver goes about as our glucose stockroom and keeps us supplied until we have breakfast. The measure of glucose being utilized is coordinated by the measure of glucose being discharged by the liver, so glucose levels ought to stay consistent.
Thanks
Zarajohn@

Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Vinegar or vinegar tablets are said to help. Believe it or not a moderate amount of alcohol with dinner will help as well. I know that when I have some drinks at night I am lower than normal the next morning. I don't recommend drinking to excess but a glass of wine with dinner certainly wouldn't hurt. Long term dietary changes (low carb) are you're best bet to controlling DP and overall BG readings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes