Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:25 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have been pre-diabetic and like to test frequently, as in morning and then after meals, 1hr and 2hr. Also, when I eat a new food I like to see what my numbers are. So, my Dr. wrote a script for test strips (several over 1 1/2 yr) for testing once per day. My insurance allowed me 100 strips per refill. This was great as they lasted for a while and I could test whenever I wanted. The last refill was for only 25 strips and now I am told my insurance will only cover that due to the script my Dr. wrote for only testing once per day. Ugh!! The last time I saw my Dr. about a month ago we talked about testing and I told her I feel more comfortable testing frequently, she said no, no, just do your fasting test in the morning and that should be enough. Huh? I totally disagree with her. So, this week after getting the small amount of only 25 strips I called my Dr. and wanted it increased so I could get more strips. She did give in but left me a message that she feels once is enough and we will need to discuss this when I go back next month.

So, I am wondering for those who are diabetic or pre- do you test a lot each day? Is just the morning fasting test adequate? And really, I have really good insurance and use it very little my getting 100 strips at a time should not be restricted.

I now feel like I am going to have to butt heads with my Dr. to get these darn strips the way I want to.

Anyone have this problem?

I test at least 6 times a day, but I am on insulin. I have to watch for highs and especially lows, that might develop after injections or after exercise. I imagine those facts makes it more common, for Doctors to write scripts for more strips. So far I haven't had any trouble. I have heard people tell me that are not on insulin, that like you they have trouble getting all the strips they need. The insurance is strict and only supplying what the doctor prescribed.

As far as is the morning fasting test adequate. Well I give you credit for monitoring your readings throughout the day. However unless you are running rather high during the day, then I would think the morning fasting test would be sufficient at this point.

I'm sure you have talked to your Primary Care Doctor, about your concerns with developing Diabetes. Maybe see another doctor for different opinions, on how you are dealing with PreDiabetes. Maybe another point of view by a different doctor, might shed some light on all your testing. Then you could compare what each doctor says, and decide if all the testing is necessary right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes