Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:09 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are lucky enough to get the warning of prediabetes take it seriously as most of us just get the diagnosis you are now a diabetic. Diet is the key ....
Starting at age 45 or 50 maybe you should be getting an annual check-up by a good doctor who will order a blood work-up that includes A1C readings. My doctor caught mine when I was 65 and my A1C was 59.

He said there is no such thing as "pre-diabetes. Either you have it or you don't." He put me on Metformin and sent me to a dietician to learn to watch carbohydrates. After 2 years or watching and calculating each mean (get a good kitchen scale) I can estimate carbs to within about 5-10% usually.

My A1C has been fairly stable with a high of 62.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree Ruth. The bad information being doled out by some so-called experts is astounding. A while back, when I was at the grocery store, I was looking at labels on some of the more healthy yogurts. A lady next to me was also there. I casually asked her what yogurt she liked (flavor wise). She pointed to one she liked and I commented about how there was so much sugar in the fruit flavored yogurts (as opposed to plain Greek-style). Her response was that the sugars in the one she liked weren't bad. She told me she was a nutritionist. I was shocked when she chose a fruit flavored yogurt over plain. I think her favorite (with the fruit at the bottom) had around 17 gr. of sugar. My fave (Fage nonfat plain Greek) has 7 gr per 6 oz. All natural occurring with no added sugar. I add my own fresh berries and a sprinkle of stevia, making it better than any store bought prepared fruit yogurt. Imagine. Someone actually pays her for her so-called valuable information.

As for bananas. They aren't necessarily bad but tricky as to when they should be eaten. One that is still considered "green" has a lower glycemic index than one that is fully ripe. Trouble is, who really likes the flavor of a green banana? AND, you are only allowed half a (medium sized) banana per serving.

Pre diabetes is a warning flag. It just means that whatever a person is doing now is wrong but they can change it. Leave juices, whether fresh squeezed or concentrate alone. Eat the whole fruit instead. Want something sweet? Make a smoothie with berries, spinach, a small amount of yogurt (or water), a dash of stevia. Better than a milkshake, imo. Ramp up intake of fresh veggies and decrease simple carbs. Lustig's videos are very informative and, like Niftybergin stated, can be a great motivational tool to go back and watch when a person feels them-self slipping into the whole, "It couldn't hurt to eat just one piece of cake/pie/cookie" or "Just today, I'll start tomorrow."
I don't have a problem with a nutritionist choosing flavored yogurt for herself. But now way should she be recommending it to diabetic or pre-diabetic patients. And diabetics (and pre-diabetics) shouldn't eat bananas as a snack, meaning--on an empty stomach. It will cause a huge blood sugar crash 2 hours later. It's still too many carbs for a diabetic, even green.

Yeah, I don't get it. I worked in tribal health centers for awhile, and once, there were two nurses invited to do a nutrition presentation for diabetics. I talked with them afterwards, and they insisted there's no such thing as pre-diabetes!! It's bad enough that there are doctors making this false claim out there, among the population at large, but this was in a health program for the highest-risk population in the US for diabetes--Native Americans! That is outrageous! I reported that conversation to the director, and recommended she find better-informed nurses next time.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Don't these people take Continuing Education courses, to stay current on developments in their field? How can so many health professionals be going around spreading this misinformation after a couple of decades of media articles informing the public about pre-diabetes? WTH is going on? Our medical system just doesn't work.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
my A1C was 59.
My A1C has been fairly stable with a high of 62.
Shouldnt those A1C numbers have a decimal point like 5.9 or 6.2
Your A1C Levels

Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't get it. I just don't get it. Don't these people take Continuing Education courses, to stay current on developments in their field? How can so many health professionals be going around spreading this misinformation after a couple of decades of media articles informing the public about pre-diabetes? WTH is going on? Our medical system just doesn't work.
Which is why we have to take upon ourselves to follow an eating plan that we know works. Have you seen the recommended carb intake the ADA recommends? They are supposed to be the "authority" but they are seriously dropping the ball. I do remember my first visit to my doctor after I had been on LCHF and my numbers dropped significantly, I mentioned that I changed my diet and he said "Yes, diet does have something to do with it" very non-nonchalantly. It has everything to with it! He is a GP and not a nutritionist or dietician but still they seem to be so misinformed. And I'll tell you why because they go by the "guidelines" of the supposed authority like the ADA. That is why I trust the dietary advice from a doctor or expert that actually has the condition and has studied it in depth for many years like Dr. Bernstein. Yes his views are strict but they need not be followed to the letter. His guidelines are what works for me.

Last edited by gguerra; 08-10-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with a nutritionist choosing flavored yogurt for herself. But now way should she be recommending it to diabetic or pre-diabetic patients. And diabetics (and pre-diabetics) shouldn't eat bananas as a snack, meaning--on an empty stomach. It will cause a huge blood sugar crash 2 hours later. It's still too many carbs for a diabetic, even green.

Yeah, I don't get it. I worked in tribal health centers for awhile, and once, there were two nurses invited to do a nutrition presentation for diabetics. I talked with them afterwards, and they insisted there's no such thing as pre-diabetes!! It's bad enough that there are doctors making this false claim out there, among the population at large, but this was in a health program for the highest-risk population in the US for diabetes--Native Americans! That is outrageous! I reported that conversation to the director, and recommended she find better-informed nurses next time.

Just to clear up any confusion you might have about my comment. I don't know if this particular nutritionist is telling people with diabetes to eat pre-flavored yogurt. It was her telling me that fruit flavored yogurt wasn't that bad. While it's not deadly, it's not great for someone who is trying to limit their sugar intake.

I also think prediabetes is used as a catch word and not a condition. Elevated fasting blood glucose over 100 is interpreted to be a precursor to diabetes. There isn't any doubt about that but diagnosing someone as prediabetic is inaccurate. I wonder if this word became a popular term that insurance companies came up with to use as a diagnostic code? As doctors started using Alzheimer's to encompass the entire class of dementia. My mother passed away from old age but she did have vascular dementia. Her death certificate, however, stated Alzheimer's as her cause of death. It wasn't. Now when I fill out a form that includes family history of health issues, I have to explain to the doctor that although her d/c stated she died of Alzheimer's, it was actually vascular dementia. Go figure.

I know from reading some of your other posts, you stay on top of information about health issues. Your friends are lucky to have someone who knows and will help keep them informed, too. I tried with my own family. Unfortunately, I lost a sibling last year due to complications of diabetes. Too often people refuse to believe that diabetes will cost them their life and up until the time of their death, they may end up on dialysis (as did my sibling) six or seven days a week. What quality of life is that? smh

Bottom line is the western diet combined with changes in our industrial nation (where many more people live a sedentary lifestyle) has contributed to the rise in diabetes in this country. What makes it worse is that not all cities in the U.S. have fresh food available to them. (Recently read an article about a neighborhood in Illinois or Pennsylvania (sorry can't remember exact location) where there was no major grocery store and the residents were very unhealthy.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic slightly but, in a way, it's all connected. I'm very lucky to live in an area where fresh produce is available on practically every street corner. Living in part of the largest agricultural area in the nation is gold. I wish everyone could have the same advantage.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I also think prediabetes is used as a catch word and not a condition. Elevated fasting blood glucose over 100 is interpreted to be a precursor to diabetes. There isn't any doubt about that but diagnosing someone as prediabetic is inaccurate. .
Could you elaborate on this comment, please? How do you define "prediabetic"? How should we be defining it? Some people define hypoglycemia as an early-stage pre-diabetes. There are many ways to define it, I think. Blood glucose over 100 sounds as good as any, but please share your perspective. Do you go by A1C levels? Something else? A combination of things?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Ketogenic diet (w/ Dr. permission).

aka Ditch the carbs and sugar and reclaim proper insulin levels!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Could you elaborate on this comment, please? How do you define "prediabetic"? How should we be defining it? Some people define hypoglycemia as an early-stage pre-diabetes. There are many ways to define it, I think. Blood glucose over 100 sounds as good as any, but please share your perspective. Do you go by A1C levels? Something else? A combination of things?
My understanding of it is a person has higher than normal blood glucose levels but not high enough to call it diabetes where it becomes necessary to take daily injections of insulin. This is regarding Type II, not Type I. Interesting that some define hypoglycemia as a precursor to diabetes. I hadn't heard that before.

A1C testing didn't become a standard way of testing until 2009. Before that, they used GTT testing that could be 2,3,4 or 5 hours long. (love that modern technology has come so far). I think the A1C is good because you can discern the glucose levels for up to 12 weeks prior. I would advise anyone who's been told by their doctor they have signs of elevated glucose to monitor it at home with a testing kit. Learning what one's glucose levels are upon waking, an hour after eating and then again two hours gives a pretty good indication if the pancreas is working properly by releasing insulin when needed. A constant high glucose level will wear out the pancreas and thus making mandatory insulin injections necessary. Nothing to mess around with, Ruth.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 AM

526 posts, read 900,661 times
Quote:
Some people define hypoglycemia as an early-stage pre-diabetes.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. That is not a sign of T II diabetes ever. Did you mean hyperglycemia?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
My understanding of it is a person has higher than normal blood glucose levels but not high enough to call it diabetes where it becomes necessary to take daily injections of insulin. This is regarding Type II, not Type I. Interesting that some define hypoglycemia as a precursor to diabetes. I hadn't heard that before.

A1C testing didn't become a standard way of testing until 2009. Before that, they used GTT testing that could be 2,3,4 or 5 hours long. (love that modern technology has come so far). I think the A1C is good because you can discern the glucose levels for up to 12 weeks prior. I would advise anyone who's been told by their doctor they have signs of elevated glucose to monitor it at home with a testing kit. Learning what one's glucose levels are upon waking, an hour after eating and then again two hours gives a pretty good indication if the pancreas is working properly by releasing insulin when needed. A constant high glucose level will wear out the pancreas and thus making mandatory insulin injections necessary. Nothing to mess around with, Ruth.
Interesting about the monitoring. I bought a glucose monitor, but my doctor refused to show me how to use it, since she hadn't diagnosed me with diabetes, and the pharmacist who sold it to me wouldn't show me how to use it without a prescript. The medical community in my experience doesn't have much, if any, interest in helping patients with prevention. Or at least--not the insurance-based docs.

Hypoglycemia is indicative of blood sugar instability, which is a sign that the metabolic hormones aren't functioning properly, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes