Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
As usual, I spout off that I've been vegetarian all my life, with very little dairy, and yet I have type 2.

No, I'm not obese.

My point being, using my freak-of-nature self as an example, (but I'm not the only one) I don't think carbs or fats is the absolute answer. There is more to diabetes than diet.

Have you tried a ketogenic-diet to treat your diabetes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
As usual, I spout off that I've been vegetarian all my life, with very little dairy, and yet I have type 2.

No, I'm not obese.

My point being, using my freak-of-nature self as an example, (but I'm not the only one) I don't think carbs or fats is the absolute answer. There is more to diabetes than diet.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Have you tried a ketogenic-diet to treat your diabetes?
My diabetes is well controlled with a low-carb diet, with my A1c staying under 6, and I'm very happy with that.

I don't eat high fat, as you would in a keto diet.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
My diabetes is well controlled with a low-carb diet, with my A1c staying under 6, and I'm very happy with that.

I did keto twice before I was pre diabetic and both times it flared up my auto immune problems so much I couldn't walk.

Like you I just adjust with less simple carbs, and less complex carbs overall.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
I have no proof of what I'm about to say but I've strongly suspected for a long time that T2 diabetes is a cash cow for most in the medical field from your doctor to the undertaker. A look at people that have T2 yearly income might tell the tale of if they get targeted for the problem.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I have no proof of what I'm about to say but I've strongly suspected for a long time that T2 diabetes is a cash cow for most in the medical field from your doctor to the undertaker. A look at people that have T2 yearly income might tell the tale of if they get targeted for the problem.
?

Sugar in the blood is what targets people for the problem, not income.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:05 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Quote:

No, I'm not obese.

Hmm, vegetarian is not the same as "vegan", there's fat in eggs, and even "good" oils count. Lack of certain minerals such as magnesium, chromium, manganese and iodine will make us more prone to it, as is prolongued stress due to high levels of cortisol which inhibits insulin production. Of course, we could be genetically predisposed to it and emotions count too.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
no matter what they consume. I thought I asked this before but don't find my post where I thought I had.

I ate so much sugars/carbs all my life before I started looking and watching B.S. and A1C labs and now have cut so much out as far as the sugars. Wondering why issues didn't crop up in my life years ago? Comments please.
There is a pretty convincing school of thought about certain (bad) kinds of fats that are really the underlying cause of Type II Diabetes. I don't know what to believe any more. If you are interested, do some research, I think there was a TED talk about it.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:07 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:

That sounds very reasonable, congrats on your success.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
?

Sugar in the blood is what targets people for the problem, not income.
I really would like to believe that. Yes, I really would........

My faith in doctors in general has been battered and bruised by greedy test happy "doctors" for years with results only when huge sums of money has been paid out if then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes