Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
My neighbor had A1c at 9.1.

2 months of diet and exercise and it was in normal range.

It absolutely can. be. done.

Congrats to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:36 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
<snip>

Should be big clue that kids are now getting full blown T2. Pre-WWII, T2 much rarer and usually only those 50 and above got it. I am guessing but maybe those that could afford to retire and take it easy.... plus buy all food they wanted.

Now we have kids sitting in front of screens all their waking hours and eating junk food engineered to meet their BLISS point as part of marketing strategy by food companies.
Good timing on resurrecting this thread. Yesterday I was bicycling through a shopping center and there was a young man (20s or 30s) sitting in a wheel chair in front of the dialysis center. (Sadly, there seem to be a few of them in these parts.) One leg was amputated above the knee.

I keep my a1c reasonable with diet and exercise (5.5 last checked) and a dear friend who had a "come-to-Jesus" moment after suffering a serious stroke and finding he had high BP as well as T2 changed his diet and lost weight, With the blessing of his doctor, he's on a significantly lower dosage of Metformin.

And I wouldn't totally discount exercise as a way to lose weight. I may be an extreme case but this morning I rode my bike 18 miles and according to my Garmin it burned 677 calories. I know I could undo that with a bag of Doritos but I don't. One of the reasons I'm so disciplined about exercise is that I can eat a little more of what I like and still keep my weight reasonable!

Old 08-21-2020, 11:26 PM

240 posts, read 586,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Good timing on resurrecting this thread. Yesterday I was bicycling through a shopping center and there was a young man (20s or 30s) sitting in a wheel chair in front of the dialysis center. (Sadly, there seem to be a few of them in these parts.) One leg was amputated above the knee.

I keep my a1c reasonable with diet and exercise (5.5 last checked) and a dear friend who had a "come-to-Jesus" moment after suffering a serious stroke and finding he had high BP as well as T2 changed his diet and lost weight, With the blessing of his doctor, he's on a significantly lower dosage of Metformin.

And I wouldn't totally discount exercise as a way to lose weight. I may be an extreme case but this morning I rode my bike 18 miles and according to my Garmin it burned 677 calories. I know I could undo that with a bag of Doritos but I don't. One of the reasons I'm so disciplined about exercise is that I can eat a little more of what I like and still keep my weight reasonable!
Sad to say very few people do anything about their health until disaster strikes. I've known so many who had their heart attack or other stuff you detailed before they do something about their health. Very few believe in disaster prevention rather than disaster management. In other words an ounce prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I detailed elsewhere when the Doctor gave me my three choices 35 years ago. I guess I picked the right choice or I wouldn't be here. That's an absolute certainty.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
Congratulations on REVERSING YOUR NUMBERS. Not easy to do but beware your diabetes chances have not gone away.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:14 AM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
You have my attention, I'm going to watch the video.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, it seems like the only type II thing to eat that no one argues against are leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, and lots of them. (No doctor ever tells a patient to "eat fewer vegetables.")

Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I dont have a link, but back when I was diagnosed, I was reading everything I could find about T2. Ran across a study in 1970s done in one of those large medical research colleges. Anyway they examined 5000 corpses of diabetic people. Something over 95% had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Pretty much indicates most T2 have some stage of non-alcoholic fatty liver. You dont need to be obese to have a fatty liver. Contrary to popular thinking that diabetes is only about pancreas and insulin production. The liver plays a huge role. When liver is on the fritz the pancreas can produce all insulin it can and it still wont be enough. You need both functioning properly.

IMHO, T2 result of long term excess carbs (both simple and complex) combined with not enough physical activity.

Should be big clue that kids are now getting full blown T2. Pre-WWII, T2 much rarer and usually only those 50 and above got it. I am guessing but maybe those that could afford to retire and take it easy.... plus buy all food they wanted.

Now we have kids setting in front of screen all their waking hours and eating junk food engineered to meet their BLISS point as part of marketing strategy by food companies.
You made many good points.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
My neighbor had A1c at 9.1.

2 months of diet and exercise and it was in normal range.

It absolutely can. be. done.

Congrats to you.

Two months isn't enough time to recheck an A1c....red blood cells live for 3 months. The whole point of an A1c is to wait 3 months.

Plus, the person you're referring to is still a diabetic, just a controlled diabetic.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:47 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You have my attention, I'm going to watch the video.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, it seems like the only type II thing to eat that no one argues against are leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, and lots of them. (No doctor ever tells a patient to "eat fewer vegetables.")
Actually, my doctor told me that when my stomach wouldn't empty. Too much fiber! It can happen.

And unfortunately, there IS an argument against the leafy greens and cruciferous---kidney stones!

Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 PM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Actually, my doctor told me that when my stomach wouldn't empty. Too much fiber! It can happen.

And unfortunately, there IS an argument against the leafy greens and cruciferous---kidney stones!
:-O

I eat a variety of veggies, and fruits lower on the glucose scale. My GI/colonoscopy doc gave 2 big thumbs up on eating berries, telling me blueberries in particular are literally "medicine for the colon." Fortunately I don't have an issue eating "too many" greens or cruciferous for my system.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
High carb diets combined with excessive calorie and fructose consumption also build up fat in the liver and pancreas making them not work as well. It's why there's an epidemic of NAFLD and it's estimated 33% of people have fatty liver.. addicting, high carb junk food, too much alcohol, too much fructose, too many calories, not enough exercise. Once a person gets NAFLD their triglyceride and cholesterol levels will start to rise... they'll get what is known as "metabolic syndrome."
I think the worst addiction is talking in letters. Everyone assumes anyone who doesn't know what those letters mean is seriously retarded. I'm 3/4s if a century old by the way.

You are right though, the sedentary life along with all the garbage food is causing trillions of dollars worth of health problems. I feel certain most of my health problems would never have existed for me if I had never been seriously obese, a drunk and other things to numerous to mention.

Nowadays it doesn't matter what is eaten or drank because there are pills, hospitals, nursing homes not to mention transplants where everyone prays someone will die soon and save the life of the afflicted.

All this is after a lifetime of earning what they got. Now they expect help and prayers from every direction.

Wouldn't it be something if some morning everyone woke up and started living a totally healthy life. The number of businesses that would expire would make Covid seem like a cake walk. Most of businesses that everyone is so concerned about them reopening are the cause of most of the worlds health problems. I refer to the eating and drinking establishments.

I hasten to add there are millions of people suffering terribly with very serious ailments they did nothing to deserve.

Let's go out to eat and have quite a few drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes