Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 02:36 AM

585 posts, read 496,102 times

Advertisements

My friends was this. He doesn’t have to be on meds but the dr told him he is diabetic and to lower carbs and check blood sugar. I told him yes it’s diabetes but it’s the start and not bad. Meaning it can be under control fast but changing what you eat. My other friend yelled at me saying 120 is bad! Yes it’s elevated but not horrible. Hers was 200 and A1C 9. So 120 is easily fixable. 6.5 and 120 is the beginning of diabetes and can be reversed quickly. He was pre diabetic for a long time but didn’t change anything. Now it’s time. I realize now also it’s all what you eat. Exercise and Metformin help but there is no real change unless you significantly lower carbs and sugar.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:36 AM

1,149 posts, read 865,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
My friends was this. He doesn’t have to be on meds but the dr told him he is diabetic and to lower carbs and check blood sugar. I told him yes it’s diabetes but it’s the start and not bad. Meaning it can be under control fast but changing what you eat. My other friend yelled at me saying 120 is bad! Yes it’s elevated but not horrible. Hers was 200 and A1C 9. So 120 is easily fixable. 6.5 and 120 is the beginning of diabetes and can be reversed quickly. He was pre diabetic for a long time but didn’t change anything. Now it’s time. I realize now also it’s all what you eat. Exercise and Metformin help but there is no real change unless you significantly lower carbs and sugar.
Sorry to say that your friend lacks motivation in changing anything. My guess is that over time they will be put on medication because it will get worse. Some people are lazy mentally and become fatalistic and simply throw their arms up in the air and completely rely on medication to do the entire job. It isn't easy turning away food when one is hungry. It's like alcoholics wanting a drink. When hungry one wants food. With some ethnic communities it becomes difficult when one speaks of carbs like asians with regards to rice or pasta with Italians.
It's easy to fall off the wagon. Scared straight tactics are only temporary motivators.

They need to lose weight and look at that scale every morning. The time to do something was when they were prediabetic and now the rationalization is that they are early diabetics and not bad. The next stage will be they are uncontrolled diabetic and then controlled and then uncontrolled and upping the medication. That's the typical scenario. The exception is going the other way.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
If you are healthy, then normal blood sugar in your body should be something like this
NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS

FASTING- Less than 100mg/dl
BEFORE MEAL- 70-130mg/dl
1-2 HOURS AFTER MEAL- Less than 180mg/dl
BEDTIME- 100-140mg/dl

If your blood sugar is more than the range, you need to control your blood sugar with doctors' advice.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:26 AM

453 posts, read 120,398 times
I was told by my diabetes educator that after nighttime fasting my blood sugar should be 126 or less and 2 hours after meals 140 or less. This is the clinic I go to and pretty strict with that. My readings are not always those but I aim for that or less.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinepurple View Post
I was told by my diabetes educator that after nighttime fasting my blood sugar should be 126 or less and 2 hours after meals 140 or less. .
Fasting under 100 is nondiabetic range.

Fasting 126 or less is prediabetic range.

Fasting over 126 is diabetes range.

I'm diabetic but I keep my fasting under 100 with my food choices and metformin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes