Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 02:54 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times

Advertisements

Got a nice improvement on my latest blood tests this week with my A1C. Went from 6.9 to 6.3.

When I'm being very good and eating 5 servings or more of veggies (all kinds), and some fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, and once in awhile some lean animal protein, and not any junk food, my body cooperates. And....when I'm bad...it shows like it did several months ago.

I've been on Metformin for a very long time now (20+ years) but food makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 11:42 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Beans spike my blood sugar, but everyone is different, I suppose, fruit does too, except for a few blueberries or strawberries. But apples or bananas, wow, spike me to the moon and back.

Seeds, nuts, cheese, dairy are all good with me.

Food is definitely key.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:51 PM

A nutritionist shared with me a couple studies a few years ago that eating 1/2 a cup of beans each day helped lower A1C levels. A1C measures the average blood sugar level over the past 3 months. I see Harvard Health has mentioned legumes helping Type II in their 2020 article HERE.

Article Abstract: "A cup of beans or lentils each day, when combined with a low-glycemic diet, may help lower blood sugar levels and coronary artery disease risk in patients with type 2 diabetes. Legumes help dampen blood sugar responses and lower blood pressure."

Old 05-22-2021, 08:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
A nutritionist shared with me a couple studies a few years ago that eating 1/2 a cup of beans each day helped lower A1C levels. A1C measures the average blood sugar level over the past 3 months. I see Harvard Health has mentioned legumes helping Type II in their 2020 article HERE.

Article Abstract: "A cup of beans or lentils each day, when combined with a low-glycemic diet, may help lower blood sugar levels and coronary artery disease risk in patients with type 2 diabetes. Legumes help dampen blood sugar responses and lower blood pressure."

If I had a cup of beans every day, I guarantee my A1c would be higher. But what do I know, I'm just a diabetic on a low-glycemic diet.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:08 PM

Everybody's body is different. The studies are what they are and there are more than just 1 or 2 studies that have been done. Somehow I brought my A1C down and the only thing that changed in that time was my diet, which happened to include beans in some dishes as well as many other healthy foods.

Good thing some beans are low glycemic:

1/2 cup is a serving size

- red kidney beans: 20
- black beans: 20
- pinto beans: 45

Old 05-24-2021, 07:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Everybody's body is different. The studies are what they are and there are more than just 1 or 2 studies that have been done. Somehow I brought my A1C down and the only thing that changed in that time was my diet, which happened to include beans in some dishes as well as many other healthy foods.

Good thing some beans are low glycemic:

1/2 cup is a serving size

- red kidney beans: 20
- black beans: 20
- pinto beans: 45
They are high in carbs and although they are considered resistant starch, are still carbs. They will raise your blood sugar no matter what, some more than others.

I don't see how beans could bring A1C down since A1C is an average blood sugar for 90 days and beans would raise the curve. There are so many variables with blood sugar, it's difficult to say that it was just the beans.

We have to consider some spikes as normal since those same spikes would happen in non-diabetic people.

I eat beans on a regular basis, yes they raise my blood sugar but I would not call it a spike. Still, that would not bring down my A1C.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
They are high in carbs and although they are considered resistant starch, are still carbs. They will raise your blood sugar no matter what, some more than others.

I don't see how beans could bring A1C down since A1C is an average blood sugar for 90 days and beans would raise the curve. There are so many variables with blood sugar, it's difficult to say that it was just the beans.

We have to consider some spikes as normal since those same spikes would happen in non-diabetic people.

I eat beans on a regular basis, yes they raise my blood sugar but I would not call it a spike. Still, that would not bring down my A1C.

The lack of reading and learning leads to the inability to understand.

Here are 2 articles that explain beans helping lower glucose/A1C:

ARTICLE 1

ARTICLE 2

Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
The lack of reading and learning leads to the inability to understand.

Here are 2 articles that explain beans helping lower glucose/A1C:

ARTICLE 1

ARTICLE 2
I can read just fine but the fact remains that beans RAISE blood sugar levels. They don't LOWER blood sugar levels, regardless of how fast or slow, blood sugar levels go UP.

Higher Blood Sugar = Higher A1C. It's that simple.

Looking at the big picture and taking into account what your article states, yes, fiber rich foods will help your levels remain stable. That would apply to all fiber rich foods.

Put it this way, NOT eating the beans would lower your A1C even more. Do you get it now?

Old 05-26-2021, 08:25 AM

Eating low glycemic foods (defined as less than 50 on the glycemic scale and optimally less than 40) is considered a good dietary plan for Type II.

Many beans and legumes happen to be considered low glycemic (less than 40) in addition to adding good fiber and plant protein. From a purely glycemic index standpoint they are as valid as any other low gly food on the index, and work well in lots of vegan recipes.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
The Swiss recommended equal portion of carboh,meat and veggies,if you want desert,then you must give up carbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes