Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 11:55 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Back in March I saw the nurse practitioner for my required quarterly doctor visit, and at the time she suggested Ozempic. I've been on Metformin ER for >20 years, tolerate it well, and never thought about any other T2D med.

She said Ozempic is a once a week injectable, and my immediate internal reaction was "no way." I said I'd have to think about it for awhile.

The newest GLP-1 drug, Terzepatide, was just approved, with many reports of lighter side effects, and good outcomes. I decided this one I would be willing to try and see how it goes.

Picked up the starter pack this morning (2.5mg) Took the first injection a bit earlier. There was no pain and it was easy-peasy. Yay for tiny & thin needles.

Hoping for no nausea. <fingers crossed>.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 11:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Let us know how it goes for you. I am hoping to get my endo to prescribe this for me when I see him in a few weeks.

I was on Ozempic for awhile and I was able to tolerate it. Before that I was on Victoza and I tolerated that one as well.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:22 PM

Thanks, yes, I'll update.

I had my quarterly visit this morning and the 'script had already been filled yesterday and was ready for pickup. I had sent a message through the practice's portal over the weekend, saying I wanted to try Mounjaro/Tirzepatide, if they thought it would be safe for me, and someone approved and sent the 'script on Monday.

My doc (an Internist) is *very* enthusiastic about me going on a GLP-1, though she hadn't ordered the script, so the nurse practitioner must have done it.

They have the $25/month coupon, good for 12 months, as long as you have commercial insurance, even if your insurance company doesn't approve it. It's not on the formulary for my insurer; I hope it will be approved before 12 months is up.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:53 PM

1.5 days after first injection, and no nausea. (keeps fingers crossed).

Old 07-04-2022, 01:16 PM

Day 5:

Had some lower GI upset on days 3 & 4, but that went away with an OTC med.

One of the first side-effects I had, but didn't realize it was from this med at the time, was body aches/muscle aches, which started a few hours after the injection and continued into the second day. Ibuprofen and a very warm shower helped.

So far, the side-effects have been the ones reported most often. No nausea is all I asked for, and in that I was spared.

I'm supposed to take the next injection on Wed, but will wait until after my dentist appointment on Thursday, as I have to make that appointment.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:22 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Thanks for checking in again. It seems this one is easier for you?

Old 07-05-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Thanks for checking in again. It seems this one is easier for you?
I've never been on a GLP-1 med before, so I have no prior experience with any of them to compare.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:36 PM

Don't know if anyone cares or wants updates anymore, but I'm now in my 4th and final week on the starting dose of 2.5 mg. Side effects have been manageable so far.

In a week, I'm due to start the 5 mg dose. Hopefully it will be back in stock by then. Doc has ordered generic Zofran, in case it's necessary. Anecdotal reports and study data indicate nausea and other GI upset is common at dose escalation points.

Don't know my glucose or A1c numbers, as my next blood test is scheduled for early Aug.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:50 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Yes, would love to see your continued progress!

As I've posted before, Ozempic has been a game changer for me. I managed the nausea in the early stages with Pepto Bismol caplets, but once I reached the target dose (1mg), symptoms essentially disappeared. My weight has dropped by 42lbs, and my A1C was 5.6 in June (it had been in the 7 and 8 range in the years prior).

I dropped Farxiga last month, so my only diabetes management drugs now are the Ozempic and Metformin. At one point, I had Januvia in the mix, too, but it really wasn't helping much.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:54 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Yes, would love to see your continued progress!

As I've posted before, Ozempic has been a game changer for me. I managed the nausea in the early stages with Pepto Bismol caplets, but once I reached the target dose (1mg), symptoms essentially disappeared. My weight has dropped by 42lbs, and my A1C was 5.6 in June (it had been in the 7 and 8 range in the years prior).

I dropped Farxiga last month, so my only diabetes management drugs now are the Ozempic and Metformin. At one point, I had Januvia in the mix, too, but it really wasn't helping much.
Ozempic was a major game changer for me also. Didn’t lose any weight, which is good since I probably could stand to gain some, but the major thing it did was stop all the massive glucose swings. I got off of four other medications, including a heart rate stabilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes