Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:34 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times

Advertisements

This is hard, I have a family history of diabetes, so tried to avoid starch, sugar and focused on too much protean, but now I have high cholesterol at the age of 32. (total 232, bad 168, good 49.5).
Sounds like the only things I could do to improve/prevent the both is to eat cabbage with some soya on it, sounds so depressing…

Also, do you know if I can eat cheetos if I have high cholesterol? The trans fat is 0, but saturated fat is 1.5g. I know I can’t eat full fat cheese, but why does cheetos have 0 transfat, sounds too good to be true.

Please don’t tell me to ask my dr. all these questions, if it were that easy to find them and ask, I wouldn’t need to ask on this forum. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:36 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Beans are low in sugar, high in protein and low in fat. Just one suggestion. Not too many though.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Cheetos? LOL

You should probably eat more whole grains, lean meat, and season/cook your vegetables with olive oil. Try using ground turkey instead of beef. Make homemade chili with lots of tomatoes and beans. Use lowfat cheese on top.

Really, homemade food is easier and often healthier than restaurant food. Make Asian style stir fry and use little pieces of meat as a small part of the dish instead of the main ingredient. Switch out and use a smaller amount of brown rice instead of plain white rice.

Think about eating a more Mediterranean diet than standard American fare. Buy a cookbook. There are plenty that would suit the type of diet you're aiming for.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 AM

9 posts, read 33,225 times
Default cholesterol

Hi...

Study participants followed a low-fat diet called the Portfolio Diet, combined with four “pillars”: margarine enriched with plant sterols, “viscous” fibers (from oats, barley, psyllium, okra, and eggplant), soy protein (from soy milk and soy foods), and whole almonds. They were also instructed to eat more plant protein and fiber (in the form of dried legumes) and to eat the recommended 5 to 10 daily servings of fruits and vegetables.........

Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
Also, do you know if I can eat cheetos if I have high cholesterol? The trans fat is 0, but saturated fat is 1.5g. I know I can’t eat full fat cheese, but why does cheetos have 0 transfat, sounds too good to be true.

Not to sound like Sarah Palin but....''here's a little news flash'' !!! The FDA allows food manufacters to claim Fat Free or Trans Fat Free with 0.5 grams per serving. So what does this mean??? Take Fat Free Cool Whip which lists 0 grams of fat but look at the Ingredients and if you see ''Partially Hydrogenated Oil'' it is not Fat Free and has Trans Fats. So if you ate the whole container at 66 servings you'd wind up eating 33 grams of Trans Fat of a supposedly Fat Free product. That's terrible especially when listed Fat Free product.

Stay away from Cheeto's and all Chips as they are loaded with Trans Fats !!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
At your age and with your cholesterol at 232, my perosnal opinion is your cholesterol is good where it is. I do not buy into the un-naturally low numbers they want us all to have. I try to keep mine at around 250. I had been felling really bad for the last several months, bad enough to make me go to the doctor. My cholesterol was 228 and he had no problem with those numbers but I did. I went right out and bought myself some fried chicken and a chocolate cake. I have eaten fried foods several times and am feeling 100%better.

In the last 3 years, I quit taking statin drugs and started eating healthier. I got my high cholesterol from my mother and was never offered the choice of lowering it naturally, just handed a Rx and was told to take that. Once the side effects just about crippled me, I started researching it and found out how to lower it without drugs and have kept it around 250.

This is how I did it. Avoided anything with partially hydrogenated oil, avoided processed meats, only ate red meat ,chicken and fish once a week. I ate oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon every morning. I mainly ate beans and salads every meal and ate fresh fruit all day. I also ate a ton of vegetables, cooking them from fresh out of the garden. I love my sweets so when I made my cookies, cakes, ect, I used REAL butter or olive oil. When I wanted the salty snacks, I made my own popcorn using olive oil. I mainly cooked my own food from scratch so I would know what was in it. It took me 3 years, I never went hungry and I managed to loose 45 pounds during the process.... and I ate all day long!

My motto was "if it is man made or tampered with, DON'T EAT IT!"

I am living proof that it works and just because you inherit it from your family, that does not mean you can't lower it naturally.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Default hueimo.....

I recently wrote a description of how I reduced my high cholesterol by diet alone, (no drugs) ! Read about my lifestyle eating, and see if you can design your own plan to maintain optimal health.

There is no shortcut; you MUST learn how to read labels and eliminate the junk food from your life before your body becomes sick from abuse

You have at your fingertips the most awesome tool ever invented - for research - THE COMPUTER !! There are many reputable web sites that give nutritional advice. Or, you can choose the old fashioned way to educate yourself ................... BOOKS !

Bottom line is...... you gotta wanna

Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
It took me 3 years, I never went hungry and I managed to loose 45 pounds during the process.... and I ate all day long!

My motto was "if it is man made or tampered with, DON'T EAT IT!"

I am living proof that it works and just because you inherit it from your family, that does not mean you can't lower it naturally.
good for you!! I'm so proud of you for what you did for yourself! I'll work on mines too! thanks for sharing!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
My husband recently went to the doctor and his cholesterol was high. But the good side was on the higher side as well.

Because he is not over weight, has no family history of heart disease, etc., the doctor, who is a strong believer in not putting someone on meds just because of numbers, recommended he go have a heart scan done. He said those numbers are only indicators - they do not mean you have blockage.

So he went and had the heart scan and guess what. Not a bit of blockage.

We have modified diets a bit, just to be healthier, but it was refreshing to have a doctor not just hand him a prescription.

Don't forget that exercise is also a great way to help lower cholesterol.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:03 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes....we're trying to handle by diet only. I've had high Cholesterol for years....heredity and tried the diet but didn't help. I'm on vytorin...yes I know all the bad publicity...
my biggest challenge so far for the diabetes is the 'whole grain" phenomen that is sweeping the nation. I watch my "gluten' intake because my mom is Celiac, gluten intolerant and it is heredically passed down 80% of the time. guess what, dad's high cholesterol, mom's high blood pressure, dad's diabetes.....what's the next thing.....celiac.

I know in the last 2 weeks, I've increased my exercise, been a little more careful on what I eat, but the biggest thing for me so far has been portion control. My blood sugars have been Very good....but my nutritionist said 'you'll find about 10 -12 thing you can eat and that's about all you will eat" that was disappointing.

I've changed from butter to margarine, but having issues with the low dat/no fat issue. I get the worst indigestion from low fat/no fat products.

I'd suggest talking with a nutritionist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes