Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times

Advertisements

Dear all, I had been searching for some exercise routines which can be done while sitting in office but didnt specifically find one here. So please bear with me if I am repeating an old thread.

Little back ground: I start my work at 7:45 in the morning (for which I have to wake up at least at 4:45 to be at work on time...long travel). Since then, my work keeps me really busy until I leave work at 3:45. I walk back to the train station, 2.5 km in 20 minutes. my BMI is in the normal range and I am not over weight.

BUT, the main problem is my tummy. I look like I am 4 months pregnant But other parts like hands and legs are perfectly fine and look toned.

Now, my question is: is there any exercise I can do while I sit at work to get the muscles tightened in tummy? PLEASE! Help me. I want to give some exercise to my tummy while I am working. Please. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Yoga:
How to Do Office Yoga: Video Series | eHow Videos

General stretches, curls, etc.:
Office Workout - Exercises you can do at work

Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thanks Ohiogirl. I have checked them before posting this thread here. All the exercises mentioned there cannot be performed while sitting in a cubicle; Certainly not in the work place where I am at. I am hoping for some tips example: lifting my leg or something like that which is discreet, I hope I am able to convey what exactly I wanted to.

Everyday my husband is commenting as to how beautiful I look with the exception of my tummy, in the same sentence.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post

Now, my question is: is there any exercise I can do while I sit at work to get the muscles tightened in tummy?
No. Not really. At least not anything that will be even remotely effective for you. Best thing to do is watch what you eat. Dont eat any of the typical office crap food like bagels or doughnuts.

Do you have time to outside of work to exercise?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No. Not really. At least not anything that will be even remotely effective for you. Best thing to do is watch what you eat. Dont eat any of the typical office crap food like bagels or doughnuts.

Do you have time to outside of work to exercise?
Yeah, I am watching what i am eating and i reduced the intake of wine also which I used to drink 1 glass a day.

I do have 1 hour lunch Lao but the thing is, either I join a gym (which is too expensive around my work place) or walk. I am walking but of course it would help over all and not just the tummy.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
My tummy has never been completely flat. I can be trim all over but I always have a bit of a "baby bump." It's been flat enough to wear (and look good in) a bikini before, but that's been quite a while..

Walking helps to burn fat, but you can't target where you lose it. Crunches help to make your abdominal area look more "toned" - I prefer to do them on one of those blue exercise balls that has been cut in half. You could store it under your bed and work up to doing about 50 each morning before you get ready for work.

I suppose lipo is always an option but I don't know how permanent that could really be. If that's where you tend to store fat in your body, I would imagine it wouldn't take much for it to come right back.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM

419 posts, read 448,308 times
You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't sit at work and end up getting that perfect body you want without putting extra in afterwards.

I use to be real fat. I ate LESS at work back then. I then started running everyday after work and stopped drinking beer. I am now more tone than my 20 year old self. Now I run 10 miles average a day, do an elliptical, and am signing up for karate all after work. I can't keep up my old routines, and have my new tone in shape body by just doing some simple stomach crunches at work or something. It takes work, and it takes discipline.

Thing is, my old afterwork habits of going out to the bars are a thing of the past, and I don't miss them. I am now addicted to my runs. If I don't get my run in then I get agitated. A lot of people don't understand losing weight is a change of mind and routine. It's more than just simply doing something extra like 20 stomach crunches a day, or eating one less donut a day.

Also, a gym is too expensive? Mine is 50 a month. I use to spend 50 a night at the bar. Since I joined the gym I am saving money. It gives me something to do while at a cheap cost. I would be spending lots more money somewhere else if I wasn't at the gym or outside running.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't sit at work and end up getting that perfect body you want without putting extra in afterwards.

Precisely. And I was ashamed to ask this in the first place. But i did anyway.

It takes work, and it takes discipline.

I agree.

It's more than just simply doing something extra like 20 stomach crunches a day, or eating one less donut a day.

Perhaps not, but its a start nevertheless..

Also, a gym is too expensive? Mine is 50 a month. I use to spend 50 a night at the bar. Since I joined the gym I am saving money. It gives me something to do while at a cheap cost. I would be spending lots more money somewhere else if I wasn't at the gym or outside running.
Gym is $140 a month here. And no, I do not spend money in a bar. For few people $140 a month is still a little expensive. Its OK if you do not have anything to advice me on. You don't have to put me down by assuming I am spending on something un-necessary.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM

419 posts, read 448,308 times
^I asked you if a gym was too expensive. I never said that I knew where you spent your money. I mentioned MYSELF, not you. I was giving my experiences with hope that they help with understanding that it is a change of routine and discipline. However, I see that you are a mean spirited person and don't wish to hear them. Thats ok.

I am giving you advice from somebody who lost about 80 pounds in a year. It is simple. Weight loss takes lots of work and discipline. It isn't something simple such as doing something while you sit in your cube while working. If you don't like that advice then don't listen too it, and good luck finding that happy little easy thing to do in your cube to get that tummy off. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Dear all, I had been searching for some exercise routines which can be done while sitting in office but didnt specifically find one here. So please bear with me if I am repeating an old thread.

Little back ground: I start my work at 7:45 in the morning (for which I have to wake up at least at 4:45 to be at work on time...long travel). Since then, my work keeps me really busy until I leave work at 3:45. I walk back to the train station, 2.5 km in 20 minutes. my BMI is in the normal range and I am not over weight.

BUT, the main problem is my tummy. I look like I am 4 months pregnant But other parts like hands and legs are perfectly fine and look toned.

Now, my question is: is there any exercise I can do while I sit at work to get the muscles tightened in tummy? PLEASE! Help me. I want to give some exercise to my tummy while I am working. Please. Thank you!
Apparently you look like a blueberry with really short flailing arms and bug eyes too. (haha, very bad j/k @ your smilie)...

I feel your pain I have an apple shape myself.

Denise Austin said you can even sit in traffic and suck in/tighten up your ab muscles for like 10 seconds, relax, and keep doing it repeatedly. I forget the exact amount she suggests. I suppose you can do it as many as you'd like throughout the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss