Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 40,158 times

Advertisements

hi ,
i liked your post and in my opinion proper health is very important for each and every person to enjoy its happy life..
for a healthy life one should take proper diet and do regular exercise which makes ones mind and soul fit and healthy

regards

internet chemist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I suppose I should get going with some workouts with weights.
Strength training is one of the best things we women can do as we get older. Not only does it make you feel good about yourself, but continuing a weight training routine well past menopause helps minimize any effects of osteoporosis, helps with balance, etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I could have written the OP. I'm 48 and 5'9" tall. All my life my weight hovered between 140-145. Since turning 40 I've exercised 3-5 days a week doing cardio and weight tapes. I've always thought my eating habits were pretty good.

Nevertheless, my weight has been creeping up and last week I weighed 152. I know that's still a healthy weight for my height and my BMI is 22.2, but the weight is gathered around my belly and I hate it.

I've never been on a diet in my life, but on Saturday I started the SparkPeople diet. I've also worked out every day and am doing more weight work. I plan to talk to a personal trainer to put together a real weight workout for me. I'm varying the intensity of the workouts and actually only walked on Sunday because I'd done harder stuff 6 days in a row.

This morning the scale said 149.5. I know I haven't lost 3 real pounds in 3 days because it's not possible, but I'm still thrilled to see the back side of 150. I'm finding the SparkPeople thing very doable. I'm not using their food plan but am using their calculators and keeping track of everything I'm putting in my mouth. I'm eating the 5-6 small meals and am not getting hungry. It's fun to think about ways to cut back on a few calories that add up over the day--a little less sugar in the coffee, mustard instead of mayo on a sandwich, one slice of cheese instead of two. They recommend eating between 1,200 and 1,600 calories a day and have carb, fats and protein ranges to try and stay within. It also has a very "love yourself" vibe.

Over the years I've paid lip service to "reasonable portions" and healthy meals, but when you see the numbers add up over the course of a day, it's eye-opening.

Anyway, menopause is good in some ways (no more periods, yay!) but it's hell on a waistline. I'm thinking the only solution is to...wait for it...eat less and exercise more. Wish there were an easier way, but I don't think there is.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
I'm pushing 50, and my butt and thighs have gone from a size 4 to a size 12 in the last 3 1/2 years. Everything is has gone up to a size 8. I finally have cleavage! I'm starting to walk and will add weight/strength training as I progress.

But I'm really worried about what my skin will look like when I lose the weight. Will it pop back into shape, or will I look like a deflated balloon with upside down muscles on my arms?

Also - I don't ever remember eating due to hunger. I only eat because I enjoy the taste/textures/smells. Other than becoming nauseous and getting a stuffed nose - does anyone here have any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
But I'm really worried about what my skin will look like when I lose the weight. Will it pop back into shape, or will I look like a deflated balloon with upside down muscles on my arms?
Mix Vitamin E oil in with your regular body lotion. Be liberal with it, and use it everywhere.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I am in total empathy with you on all points, except that veggies are my salvation. If I couldn't munch a plate of veggies I would be much heavier than I am.

You might want to stop telling yourself that you don't like veggies, and try finding that you do.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 15,387 times
Hey I hear you all. I'm 54 and I've been battling weight ever since I started having kids at 17. Recently I had an abscessed tooth and then had it pulled. I was eating oatmeal,eggs and pudding and I started losing weight like crazy. I was not hungry. The only thing about that is, it didn't agree with my intestinal tract.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I could have written the OP. I'm 48 and 5'9" tall. All my life my weight hovered between 140-145. Since turning 40 I've exercised 3-5 days a week doing cardio and weight tapes. I've always thought my eating habits were pretty good.

Nevertheless, my weight has been creeping up and last week I weighed 152. I know that's still a healthy weight for my height and my BMI is 22.2, but the weight is gathered around my belly and I hate it.

I've never been on a diet in my life, but on Saturday I started the SparkPeople diet. I've also worked out every day and am doing more weight work. I plan to talk to a personal trainer to put together a real weight workout for me. I'm varying the intensity of the workouts and actually only walked on Sunday because I'd done harder stuff 6 days in a row.

This morning the scale said 149.5. I know I haven't lost 3 real pounds in 3 days because it's not possible, but I'm still thrilled to see the back side of 150. I'm finding the SparkPeople thing very doable. I'm not using their food plan but am using their calculators and keeping track of everything I'm putting in my mouth. I'm eating the 5-6 small meals and am not getting hungry. It's fun to think about ways to cut back on a few calories that add up over the day--a little less sugar in the coffee, mustard instead of mayo on a sandwich, one slice of cheese instead of two. They recommend eating between 1,200 and 1,600 calories a day and have carb, fats and protein ranges to try and stay within. It also has a very "love yourself" vibe.

Over the years I've paid lip service to "reasonable portions" and healthy meals, but when you see the numbers add up over the course of a day, it's eye-opening.

Anyway, menopause is good in some ways (no more periods, yay!) but it's hell on a waistline. I'm thinking the only solution is to...wait for it...eat less and exercise more. Wish there were an easier way, but I don't think there is.
Once again I suggest you start lifting weights. It WILL make a difference, moreso than calorie cutting if you've never been the sort who needs to "diet." Even twice a week for 2 months... then come back here and tell us what happens.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Once again I suggest you start lifting weights. It WILL make a difference, moreso than calorie cutting if you've never been the sort who needs to "diet." Even twice a week for 2 months... then come back here and tell us what happens.
Actually, that's what I've been doing, along with following the SparkPeople recommendations for calories, fat and carbs. I met with a personal trainer 3 times for some instruction on using heavier weights and also bought a book I really like, The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It came out in December 2009 and is full of good info.

Anyway, now I'm doing weights 3x/week and cardio 3x/week for about 45 minutes. After 4 weeks I've lost 7 pounds and 2 inches from around my waist, 1 from my hips, 1 from my thighs and about 1/2 inch from my arms. I'm very pleased with the results and am really enjoying the weight workouts. I feel more hopeful and confident about my almost-50-year-old body than I have in years.

As far as calories go, the SparkPeople thing has been so instructive. Just getting a handle on portion sizes is something that I'll rely on the rest of my life.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Actually, that's what I've been doing, along with following the SparkPeople recommendations for calories, fat and carbs. I met with a personal trainer 3 times for some instruction on using heavier weights and also bought a book I really like, The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It came out in December 2009 and is full of good info.

Anyway, now I'm doing weights 3x/week and cardio 3x/week for about 45 minutes. After 4 weeks I've lost 7 pounds and 2 inches from around my waist, 1 from my hips, 1 from my thighs and about 1/2 inch from my arms. I'm very pleased with the results and am really enjoying the weight workouts. I feel more hopeful and confident about my almost-50-year-old body than I have in years.

As far as calories go, the SparkPeople thing has been so instructive. Just getting a handle on portion sizes is something that I'll rely on the rest of my life.
I am not surprised in the slightest... congrats on the success you have had so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss