Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't usually have time to cook proper oatmeal so I buy the Quaker Weight Control variety. It comes in several flavors and is really tasty.
How is the Maple/Brown Sugar one? I am thinking of getting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
How is the Maple/Brown Sugar one? I am thinking of getting that.
I like it; they're all pretty tasty.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
May as well eat a big bowl of Lucky Charms. Probably the same nutritional content.

When I am really watching what I eat, sugar and butter are pretty much the main two ABSOLUTE NO-NOS to add to my oatmeal. Other than fruit, the only thing I will add is protein powder.

I guess if this thread was in the "Food" Forums this would be okay, but with it being in the "Diet and Weight" loss forum I guess I expected different types of responses than with "lots of butter", "lots of sugar", "maple syrup", etc.
I have my oatmeal (porridge) with butter, raw sugar and milk..........

and I'm 5'9 and 135 lbs, so there ya go

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Love oatmeal, even in the summer.

Keeps me full for a long time

Favorite ways to serve are with some chopped apple (or berries in season), some walnuts, cinnamon, a bit of blackstrap molasses and a small amount of light soy milk.

Almond oatmeal is good, too. Add a tiny bit of almond extract to the cooking process and top with some sliced toasted almonds.

I like my oatmeal a bit thin and without lumps.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Actually, oatmeal is the BEST thing you can have for breakfast if you're concerned with weight imho. It fills you up and stops those midmorning cravings and provides plenty of fibre if you use the real thing.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I like it; they're all pretty tasty.
Bought the Maple/Brown Sugar one last night and had it for breakfast. I didn't get the mid-morning hunger pangs like I usually do.
Did you notice there's now an "Extra Fiber" Quaker Instant in the same flavor, same calories, less protein and more sugar. I almost bought this one, but I wanted the extra protein and less sugar, so I didn't.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I have my oatmeal (porridge) with butter, raw sugar and milk..........

and I'm 5'9 and 135 lbs, so there ya go
You are probably able to control your food portions. Some people can't and adding the butter and raw sugar can hurt those folks, unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
I eat organic whole oats with milk and blueberries and chopped up strawberries. Delicious

Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Bought the Maple/Brown Sugar one last night and had it for breakfast. I didn't get the mid-morning hunger pangs like I usually do.
Did you notice there's now an "Extra Fiber" Quaker Instant in the same flavor, same calories, less protein and more sugar. I almost bought this one, but I wanted the extra protein and less sugar, so I didn't.
I saw that one but like you I wanted more protein and less sugar.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I didn't think the packaged, flavored/sweetened stuff would be the healthiest way to go, so I'm eating plain, whole grain oats and adding honey and ground flaxseed to it. Any other suggestions on healthy variety?
I eat steel cut oats. I find rolled oats slimy and revolting. I do not care for sweet breakfast food, so I usually eat them plain. My dh eats them with milk and brown sugar and it just about makes he hurl.

But steel cut oats are the best. They have some great texture and good flavor. How on earth anyone can stomach rolled or worse, INSTANT oats is beyond me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss