Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
KFC: ...put the biscuit on the table or floor and mash it down...then you won't eat it!
I bet the people who work at KFC love you!!!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I bet the people who work at KFC love you!!!

Ian

I always clean up my mess! Normally I just tell them not to bring it to me! I have smashed it on the table though......lol!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Haha, LadyKLO.

I've lost five or six pounds. It's difficult to be certain, because my electronic scale is all over the place depending on where I place it in the kitchen (?!). Anyway, I can feel the difference when I pull on a pair of jeans, and I've received one nice comment from a coworker.

However, my enthusiasm for salads, cheese sticks, and fruit is beginning to wane. I like the results, but I sure don't like the process! I'm grumpy without my "food perks" - you know, everything that's bad for me? Maybe I could substitute a cup of coffee in the morning for something else once a week, like a Snickers bar!

As for exercise, I'm terrible at keeping up with an exercise program. I have no excuses; I live very close to a park and the weather has been beautiful here for the past few days (mid-70s). I have zero interest in weight lifting, although I'm sure it would be good for me. The only thing I've started to do is turn the radio on while I cook, and I dance a little as I'm preparing the food. (My blinds are closed; trust me, no one wants to watch me dance! )

I found out today that bananas give me terrible indigestion. I was miserable all day at work. Scratch one more healthy food off my list!

On a more positive note, I'm saving a lot of money by not eating at restaurants or buying fast food, and I'm also cutting down my portion sizes when I cook dinner, so I eat the leftovers the next day at work. Another benefit to eating leftovers is that I get a break from eating Lean Cuisines at work (yes, I know they're probably terrible for me!).

I need to focus on how much better I feel in general (bananas notwithstanding)! I only have 25 lbs to lose. I can't imagine trying to lose 100 lbs or more. I can certainly understand why crash diets, lap bands, surgery, shots, etc. (even tapeworms for those who are truly desperate!) might begin to seem attractive. Losing that much weight must be overwhelming. Wow.

LadyKLO, how did you change your mindset completely? I know you just decided to do it and not look back, but how do you sustain that level of commitment? Do you know other people who are also losing weight? Your continuing journey is such an inspiration!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Sandy,

The key to sticking with it for me is finding new things to make/eat.

What kind of salads are you eating? I think I've constructed about 20 different salads over the long run so I don't get bored (I do LOVE salad).

Wraps are also a favorite of mine. My husband always comments that it takes me so long to make food for myself...he likes quick and easy but he'll slap anything in a wrap and call it edible. I like to be deliberate, take my time figuring out what I want to eat. I know I need to enjoy it so I don't go searching the kitchen an hour later for something different.

Stick with it...anyway you know how!

I used to put up a picture of when I was thin on my fridge. When I felt like I absolultely had to give in to temptation I would...but then I'd take a bite and decide if I REALLY wanted it. If I didn't I'd toss it. Eventually I didn't even have to take that bite to decide.

The hardest part for me is slacking off once I start seeing results so don't fall into that pitfall. Keep it up and you will realize that nothing tastes as good as success

Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Haha, LadyKLO.

I've lost five or six pounds. It's difficult to be certain, because my electronic scale is all over the place depending on where I place it in the kitchen (?!). Anyway, I can feel the difference when I pull on a pair of jeans, and I've received one nice comment from a coworker.

However, my enthusiasm for salads, cheese sticks, and fruit is beginning to wane. I like the results, but I sure don't like the process! I'm grumpy without my "food perks" - you know, everything that's bad for me? Maybe I could substitute a cup of coffee in the morning for something else once a week, like a Snickers bar!

As for exercise, I'm terrible at keeping up with an exercise program. I have no excuses; I live very close to a park and the weather has been beautiful here for the past few days (mid-70s). I have zero interest in weight lifting, although I'm sure it would be good for me. The only thing I've started to do is turn the radio on while I cook, and I dance a little as I'm preparing the food. (My blinds are closed; trust me, no one wants to watch me dance! )

I found out today that bananas give me terrible indigestion. I was miserable all day at work. Scratch one more healthy food off my list!

On a more positive note, I'm saving a lot of money by not eating at restaurants or buying fast food, and I'm also cutting down my portion sizes when I cook dinner, so I eat the leftovers the next day at work. Another benefit to eating leftovers is that I get a break from eating Lean Cuisines at work (yes, I know they're probably terrible for me!).

I need to focus on how much better I feel in general (bananas notwithstanding)! I only have 25 lbs to lose. I can't imagine trying to lose 100 lbs or more. I can certainly understand why crash diets, lap bands, surgery, shots, etc. (even tapeworms for those who are truly desperate!) might begin to seem attractive. Losing that much weight must be overwhelming. Wow.

LadyKLO, how did you change your mindset completely? I know you just decided to do it and not look back, but how do you sustain that level of commitment? Do you know other people who are also losing weight? Your continuing journey is such an inspiration!
Congrats to you on your weightloss!!! I too am enjoying these "summerlike" wintry days here in SoCal! LOL! You are really doing great and I know that saving money helps a lot! Lean cuisines are ok...in moderation..I ate one yesterday at work with a huge salad!

Regarding changing the mindset..it's a few reasons....one...my doctor scared the $Q#%#^%# out of me..when I met him, he LITERALLY told me I was killing myself and that I was truly a HOT AZZ MESS...his words.. not mine. Seeing my bloodwork told the real story and that was one indicator that I have to get it together.

Another thing is I don't have children....I'm in my mid 30's but hope to have a little LadyKLO one day and I never wanted to be fat and pregnant because that would put too much stress on me and the baby. I want to be an active mom, one that can run in the park with the kids...not sit on the bench and wish I could. Also, I have 2 nieces and one nephew who love their Aunt so I want to be around for them and all of their special moments in life.

One more thing..I started looking at food as something to sustain me...not as something I should be looking forward to doing as an activity. In other words, I would eat whatever I had a taste for..I don't even do that anymore. I figure I will eat what's in my fridge and limit my going out by planning meals in advance. I started this journey in April 2010 and I will say, it is not easy..just yesterday I wanted some fried chicken....and I mean "real fried chicken"...crusty and greasy but I know if I eat that, first off...I will probably get sick and then knowing I am purposely adding fat just doesn't make much sense.

I have other friends that are losing weight naturally just like me. I have one friend that has lost 65 pounds in about the same amount of time I have lost my 100...although I am over the 100 mark. What we typically do is communicate weekly through facebook, text messages, etc..

Plus, my friends that have friends that need to lose weight, they started calling me but when I tell people what I gave up....they are not willing!!! LOL!

It truly is a lifestyle change which is the reason I won't call this a diet. Surgery is an option but my dad told me anything worth having is worth working for so I consider that I have seriously worked for this. Nothing against people that have had surgery for weight loss but it was not an option for me. One lady in my kickboxing class, she has lost 97 pounds and she looks great but the difference I see in her is she changed her mindset which is what I call a real winner!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
However, my enthusiasm for salads, cheese sticks, and fruit is beginning to wane.

As for exercise, I'm terrible at keeping up with an exercise program. I have no excuses; I live very close to a park and the weather has been beautiful here for the past few days (mid-70s). I have zero interest in weight lifting, although I'm sure it would be good for me.
Sandy, do you have a gym membership? If not, you can use some of the money you are saving from not eating out and join Magic Johnson's 24HR Fitness in the Sherman Oaks Galleria. Its a really nice gym and not usually too crowded during the normal peak hours.

Even though you say you have no interest in weights, you should at least TRY. You'll NEVER get big, bulky, or manly, but you WILL get in better shape. Heck, I never had any interest in vampire movies or tv shows, but once I watched one, I kinda got hooked. Weights are the same way.

I dont know what starting shape you are in, but since you say you only have to lose 25 pounds Im think that you can at least jog a bit. Head over to Encino Golf course, park in the lot on Burbank blvd and go for a walk/run around the dirt course that surrounds the golf course. Its a bit more than 5k and since it is a loop, it'll almost force you to go the entire way. Its my favorite place to run. LOTS of locals are there at all times, you'll more than likely make friends with someone there who could be "exercise buddies".

As for the salads and cheese sticks they are NOT as good for you as you think. Instead of salads, eat raw broccoli and/or baby spinach. Instead of cheesesticks, eat almond butter sandwhiches.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Even though you say you have no interest in weights, you should at least TRY. You'll NEVER get big, bulky, or manly, but you WILL get in better shape.

As for the salads and cheese sticks they are NOT as good for you as you think. Instead of salads, eat raw broccoli and/or baby spinach. Instead of cheesesticks, eat almond butter sandwhiches.
I agree about the weights. I actually really enjoy using weights and I've been on the hunt for more upper body exercise routines (my upper body is SO weak..lol). If you don't like the idea of weights the resistance bands are a lot of fun too. I took a class a long time ago that used the latex loop bands and loved it! I haven't been able to find a class locally that does that kind of work out, otherwise I'd be all over it.

As for the salads, I disagree that they are not good for you. I think it depends on what you put in them. Shredded cheese, croutons, bacon bits, iceberg lettuce, salad dressing (any and all)...that kind of stuff will ruin a salad.

Personally I love wilted spinach salad which is just carmelized onions, garlic and mushrooms, a little balsamic, wilt the spinach in the pan once the onion mixture is done. Sprinkle a little romano on top if desired. If you aren't pairing it with a protein, toss in some sliced almonds or a chopped hardboiled egg.

I also love chopped veggie salad which is basically chopped raw veggies (whatever is in the fridge) and a few seasonings, a little olive oil and some kind of acid (vinegar, citrus and zest...). Toss it all together in the morning and let it marinate until lunch.

The darker/brighter the veggies that go into your salad, generally the better it is for you.

Instead of dressing use citrus with zest or vinegar (balsamic, raspberry..etc) with a little olive oil. Bottled salad dressing is kind of nasty once you get used to making your own.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Most salad dressings are terrible...RANCH...terrible..it's loaded with fat!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I make my own dressing. I use vinegar, chopped fresh dill & cilantro, ground pepper, sometimes paprika, and I just got these packaged salad spices from Germany I am going to experiment with (and also read what's in it, so I can do a fresh-cut version). Somtimes I will use a little olive oil with the vinegar.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM

Cilantro is my FAVORITE herb...

Here's another tip...add the herbs to your salad. I will toss in dill or cilantro with my lettuce mix and it adds a lot of flavor. My kids love salad when there are fresh herbs in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss