Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have had trouble with weight loss for several years. Now it seems everytime I try to loose weight, another 5 pounds is added on.

A few years ago I tried Jenny Craig and that really worked for me! The down sides were the costs and the fact the weight came back when I wasn't going in anymore.

Any hints for other programs or systems like Jenny Craig, but not the high price? I think it was a combination of a lot of things: no thinking about food, lots of postive feedback and accountablility.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Hi! I have had trouble with weight loss for several years. Now it seems everytime I try to loose weight, another 5 pounds is added on.

A few years ago I tried Jenny Craig and that really worked for me! The down sides were the costs and the fact the weight came back when I wasn't going in anymore.

Any hints for other programs or systems like Jenny Craig, but not the high price? I think it was a combination of a lot of things: no thinking about food, lots of postive feedback and accountablility.

Thanks!
But, you say yourself, that the program didn't work for you. If it had, you would have been able to maintain your lower weight; the system would have given you the tools to do that, and you would have been taught that accountability you're looking for.

Why would you want to return to the same kind of system that failed you last time, at any cost?

Perhaps you should look for some other method, that will teach you how to maintain even when you stop going to them and stop relying on frozen foods in a box or chocolate-flavored pulverized cardboard drinks to lose your weight. Weight Watchers is one option.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But, you say yourself, that the program didn't work for you. If it had, you would have been able to maintain your lower weight; the system would have given you the tools to do that, and you would have been taught that accountability you're looking for.

Why would you want to return to the same kind of system that failed you last time, at any cost?

Perhaps you should look for some other method, that will teach you how to maintain even when you stop going to them and stop relying on frozen foods in a box or chocolate-flavored pulverized cardboard drinks to lose your weight. Weight Watchers is one option.
Let me be more precise then, if it would help: I liked the following about the program: no thinking about the food (I don't cook AT ALL), accountability, person to person support, steady weight loss. As I stated in my original post, those are features I would like to find in another program, and I stand by that.

Things I don't like: expense, inability to maintain weight loss.

So, I am looking for a program with all of the good and NONE of the bad.

As I said - I don't cook, so relying on the prepare foods was a bonus for me, not a bad thing. I need that even when in maintenance mode, but at a more affordable cost.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM

You won't find it. It doesn't exist. There exists no "diet" that lets you lose weight by eating their own brand-name pre-packaged prepared portion foods, and then maintain as soon as you go off the diet. That is your answer. There is none. Learn how to cook, and learn how to eat healthily, and learn how to exercise.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You won't find it. It doesn't exist. There exists no "diet" that lets you lose weight by eating their own brand-name pre-packaged prepared portion foods, and then maintain as soon as you go off the diet. That is your answer. There is none. Learn how to cook, and learn how to eat healthily, and learn how to exercise.
Thank you for the pleasant and helpful reply.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM

577 posts, read 900,304 times
I have an idea for you but it's not an official diet. If you truly can't cook at all I assume this means you are eating a combination of packaged foods and takeout/ restaurant. It is possible to eat these foods and make healthy choices but your menu will be a lot more limited than it would otherwise. Perhaps you remember after the "Supersize Me" movie came out, a woman decided to do her own version of a McDonald's diet and she lost weight. If I recall correctly, she had oatmeal or a muffin for breakfast, and salads for lunch and dessert, maybe grilled chicken. I can't remember exactly, but you get the idea. Then there is that guy who lost all the weight on the "Subway Diet" simply by making smarter choices when he bought from the store.

I would first recommend that you educate yourself about nutrition as much as possible-- my favorite book is "Eat to Live." Then figure out ways to eat healthy foods-- or at least reasonably healthy, weight conscious foods-- while eating out and buying packaged. It is possible to do but will take a lot of self control and you will have to be willing to put up with a limited menu. I don't eat out a lot due to budget concerns, but I have been to Wendy's and McDonald's, and order chinese takeout. I always order the chicken salads from the fast food places and sauteed broccoli w/ garlic sauce, and brown rice, from chinese takeout. I never eat fried food (or if I do, it's a once every three month occurrence), I don't eat any sugary desserts-- no cookies, candy, cake. I avoid refined flours and sweeteners like the plague. I never drink soda and limit fruit juice-- and only drink that because it is fortified with calcium, and I don't drink milk. I eat about 90% vegan and the only fat I routinely consume comes from olive oil and nuts.

You might have to bite the bullet and at least do semi-homemade recipes. But overall you need to educate yourself about nutrition first so that you can make healthy choices no matter where you are buying from.

On top of this you will have to be more active. I love leslie sansone's walking videos. I do at least the three mile walk every day. I had to build up from a two mile walk but now I love it. For weight loss you should probably be doing 2 miles 5 times a week but work up to it if that is too much. good luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I have an idea for you but it's not an official diet. If you truly can't cook at all I assume this means you are eating a combination of packaged foods and takeout/ restaurant. It is possible to eat these foods and make healthy choices but your menu will be a lot more limited than it would otherwise. Perhaps you remember after the "Supersize Me" movie came out, a woman decided to do her own version of a McDonald's diet and she lost weight. If I recall correctly, she had oatmeal or a muffin for breakfast, and salads for lunch and dessert, maybe grilled chicken. I can't remember exactly, but you get the idea. Then there is that guy who lost all the weight on the "Subway Diet" simply by making smarter choices when he bought from the store.

I would first recommend that you educate yourself about nutrition as much as possible-- my favorite book is "Eat to Live." Then figure out ways to eat healthy foods-- or at least reasonably healthy, weight conscious foods-- while eating out and buying packaged. It is possible to do but will take a lot of self control and you will have to be willing to put up with a limited menu. I don't eat out a lot due to budget concerns, but I have been to Wendy's and McDonald's, and order chinese takeout. I always order the chicken salads from the fast food places and sauteed broccoli w/ garlic sauce, and brown rice, from chinese takeout. I never eat fried food (or if I do, it's a once every three month occurrence), I don't eat any sugary desserts-- no cookies, candy, cake. I avoid refined flours and sweeteners like the plague. I never drink soda and limit fruit juice-- and only drink that because it is fortified with calcium, and I don't drink milk. I eat about 90% vegan and the only fat I routinely consume comes from olive oil and nuts.

You might have to bite the bullet and at least do semi-homemade recipes. But overall you need to educate yourself about nutrition first so that you can make healthy choices no matter where you are buying from.

On top of this you will have to be more active. I love leslie sansone's walking videos. I do at least the three mile walk every day. I had to build up from a two mile walk but now I love it. For weight loss you should probably be doing 2 miles 5 times a week but work up to it if that is too much. good luck!
Thanks! I will definitely check out everything you listed. Those walking videos sound interesting. Right now, I walk 4 miles (mild hills) 4 to 5 times a week, but haven't felt like I am getting a work out for a long time. And, the more I look into healthy eating - it isn't what I'm eating, it seems to be more the quantity. That is where pre-prepared also helps.

Do you avoid or limit other dairies too or just milk?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM

577 posts, read 900,304 times
The only dairy I eat is plain low/ nonfat yogurt. This is more for taste than nutrition. If you are already making healthy choices, it could be that if you did nothing more than portion control and more focused exercise you would see improvements!

Here is a 2 mile leslie walk

YouTube - Walking - Part 1: Start Quick & Easy

YouTube - Walking - Part 2: Burn Fat & Back It Down

I have the "walk away the pounds express" collection which has 1,2,3,4 mile workouts on one dvd and they're a bit more intense than the above workout.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post

Thanks!
I have lost a bunch of weight by eating a salad for lunch, and a frozen entree of about 400 calories for dinner. You have a whole supermarket frozen foods section to pick from. Keep your calories to about 1000-1200 a day and you'll lose it. And $.88 for entrees bought on sale are a lot cheaper than a meal replacement program.

To add some variety to it, eat some fresh fruit. I let myself eat a couple bananas for breakfast, and a couple oranges in the evening.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Just remember that by adding 2 bananas and 2 medium sized oranges every day, you're adding 340 calories to whatever you're already eating.

1 banana = 110 calories * 2 = 220
1 medium orange = 60 calories * 2 = 120
220 + 120 = 340

If you have half a banana in oatmeal for breakfast, another half for a snack after lunch, and an orange every other day, alternating with a healthy heap of salad greens with lemon juice and olive oil for an evening snack, you'll be under 340 calories, have MUCH more variety, still not have to cook a thing, and get more nutrients and less sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss