Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As long as you have no reason to worry about your sodium intake, AND as long as you aren't trying to drink it as a meal replacement, it's a good kind of beverage to have as a mid-day snack, or as a kick-off for breakfast. If it weren't for the sodium, it'd probably be a perfect snack beverage. The sodium, for me, would be a deal breaker. I'd prefer salt on my french fries and not in my juice, thankyouverymuch
It's not a replacement, so no worries there. And I never salt my fries, same reason why you don't like that specific V8 I suppose, haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer111 View Post
If it is correct to behave to the healthy meal that it will help certainly! Good comments!
Can you please elaborate more on this? I don't understand fully on what you mean. Thanks

Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,279 times
After reading several articles & books about weight loss, here's my tried & tested diet:
Eat unprocessed, natural foods like veggies (raw/steamed/saute) & fruits. Limit dairy, carbs (white bread, rice) sugar & (red) meat intake to a minimum. Combine that with 1/2 hour exercise. Thats it.

A lot of diet programs, books, ads on weight loss just confuse you into believing there is a secret formula to losing weight. But the answer is quite simple & easy - eat naturally available foods for life. Mix & match them to create colorful salads. Add some crumbled cheese or dry fruits or homemade dressing or white meat like tuna for dressing the salads. You dont have to starve or eat bland food to lose weight. It can be so much fun creating the salad combinations from seasonal veggies & fruits. There is no limit to the various combinations you can create.

The answer is simple but the real challenge is finding these foods easily on the go like fast food places that have 99% of carbs/sugar/cholestrol packed foods. Sometimes we dont have a choice when we are in a rush. You would have to be disciplined & pack your meals in advance. Preparing your meals should mostly involve cutting, peeling & less cooking. Please stay away from falsely advertised low-carb, low-sugar so-called 'healthy' & heavily processed foods.
All the best.
PS: Watch this documentary Food, Inc. Its an eye-opener.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
After reading several articles & books about weight loss, here's my tried & tested diet:
Eat unprocessed, natural foods like veggies (raw/steamed/saute) & fruits. Limit dairy, carbs (white bread, rice) sugar & (red) meat intake to a minimum. Combine that with 1/2 hour exercise. Thats it.

A lot of diet programs, books, ads on weight loss just confuse you into believing there is a secret formula to losing weight. But the answer is quite simple & easy - eat naturally available foods for life. Mix & match them to create colorful salads. Add some crumbled cheese or dry fruits or homemade dressing or white meat like tuna for dressing the salads. You dont have to starve or eat bland food to lose weight. It can be so much fun creating the salad combinations from seasonal veggies & fruits. There is no limit to the various combinations you can create.

The answer is simple but the real challenge is finding these foods easily on the go like fast food places that have 99% of carbs/sugar/cholestrol packed foods. Sometimes we dont have a choice when we are in a rush. You would have to be disciplined & pack your meals in advance. Preparing your meals should mostly involve cutting, peeling & less cooking. Please stay away from falsely advertised low-carb, low-sugar so-called 'healthy' & heavily processed foods.
All the best.
PS: Watch this documentary Food, Inc. Its an eye-opener.
I agree with you from what I've read, too. Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman makes a lot of sense to me. It's a mostly vegetarian way of eating that greatly improves health and keeps or lowers weight at the same time. His "formula" is Health equals Nutrient-dense foods (mainly fruits/vegetables) divided by Calories.

This nutrient-dense way of eating flies in the face of the Western way of eating -- so many will oppose it or refuse it. Too bad. The Laotian people eat this way and have the lowest incidence of heart-disease on the planet. We Americans? Not so much. We love our steaks, burgers and fries too much and accept our diabetes, cancers and heart disease as the price to pay to keep eating our junky diets.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM

467 posts, read 664,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
start off slow, stop the nibbling of fried foods, then cut them out altogether- eat 5-6 fruits/veggies per day, and leaner meats

any fruit is better than any donut, veggies, if you like them, you cant eat lots of veggies during the day
drink water, not soda
I eat tuna fish-no bread-straight from the can-whole grain bread is ok.
leaner chicken, pork and beef

you have temptation all around you, so it's going to be quite the headgame and challenge for you

the best veggies to eat (from what i read) is broccoli and spinach-
fruits are good-some dieters aren't big fans of fruits- because of sugars,
but again, any fruit is better than any donut

pasta??? high carbs, but if you are on an exercise program and metabolism will burn it off- a small amount is ok

lean meats? I once read, if you want to learn from the best, then find the people that produce results and learn from them-not the theorists
bodybuilders have to have the least amount of body fat possible- what are their diets?? they eat alot of low fat protein, they eat many times a day-smaller meals than 2-3 massive meals.(yes i know they train everyday, its their life, but high protein diets work for them)

in any diet, one of the best quotes you will ever read is these five words
" it's what you DON'T eat"
I have found protein to be unequivocably necessary to maintain metabolism, curb appetite and keep muscle mass. Whether you eat meat, milk cheese or whatever isn't the point. Most people aren't going to thrive on less than 50-100 grams of protein per day.

I have had the most success, especially on my waistline, where weight is not only unaesthetic but unhealthy, on a totally grain free diet. Grains raise blood sugar and almost automatically deposit weight on the waist. You can exercise the grains off, but you have to exercise hard, which is impractical for most people. I would rather just walk and be grain free than eat toast and go to the gym.

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I have found protein to be unequivocably necessary to maintain metabolism, curb appetite and keep muscle mass. Whether you eat meat, milk cheese or whatever isn't the point. Most people aren't going to thrive on less than 50-100 grams of protein per day.

I have had the most success, especially on my waistline, where weight is not only unaesthetic but unhealthy, on a totally grain free diet. Grains raise blood sugar and almost automatically deposit weight on the waist. You can exercise the grains off, but you have to exercise hard, which is impractical for most people. I would rather just walk and be grain free than eat toast and go to the gym.

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple
This anti-grain thing is nonsense, just FYI.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
This anti-grain thing is nonsense, just FYI.
It works for too many people to be nonsense.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It works for too many people to be nonsense.
Real science trumps anecdotal evidence, and real science has shown this to be nonsense.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
The Best Diet is the One You'll Follow - Healthy Weight - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health

Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Bravo! I mean duh! And really the bottom line is that once you start eliminating foods from your diet no matter what they are for whatever reason the chances of failure go up substantially.
Only people with genuine food allergies and certain diseases should be micromanaging what they eat. The rest of just need to burn more than we take in. Eating nutrient dense and high fiber foods are the best choices to maintain overall health. So getting rid of certain veggies and nutrient rich grains is just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss