Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Have you seen a doctor about your gastro issues? That's what I would do first.
I've seen my primary and a gastro doc several times. I'm scheduling a follow up soon. He's recommended going off dairy and trying charcoal pills but they either work for a few days and stop or I haven't seen any difference yet.

I've also been tested for celiac and was negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Only fruits and veggies, means you're starving yourself of nutrients that are not present in fruits and veggies. You should definitely return to your gastro and tell him what you're eating - and what you're not eating.

You didn't mention nuts/legumes, or eggs, or fish, or any other source of protein and fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy organs. Even vegans know to include proteins and fatty acids in their diets. Also, some veggies and fruits are notoriously gassy; saying "I eat only fruits and veggies" is meaningless, if the fruits and veggies you're eating are particularly bad for you if eaten in large quantities or in inefficient proportions.
I eat eggs on weekends and in salads and Iw as eating nuts everyday but according to my food journal, they seemed to be contributing to bloated so I've cut back. But I still eat them on occasion. I also eat veggie patties almost daily and they have protein. Sometimes 20 grams.

But no, I hadn't seen my gastro in a few months and will bring it up at my next appt.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,412,302 times
Veggie patties are a great source or protein. Have you tried Nexium? I had the exact same problem with my stomach and had tried everything, except Nexium.. only figures that the last thing to try would be the one that worked.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
but for the past month, I only eat fruits and veggies, no bread, pasta, meat, fried or junk food and 0 sugar drinks (Sobe, Diet Green Tea).
really only fruits and veggies? thats interesting. you count up your calories in a day?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
really only fruits and veggies? thats interesting. you count up your calories in a day?
I should have written mainly fruits and veggies. Breakfasts are usually an apple or banana with green tea. Lunches are salads, veggies patties with mixed veggies on the side, snacks are chips, nuts and dried fruit or apples or rice cakes with peanute butter. Dinner are popcorn, apples with peanut butter, salads or chips with salsa. I'm more of a snacker that a large meal eater.

And I don't count all calories but have a general idea of what I consume because I basically eat the same things and eat small portions no larger than my hand.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Veggie patties are a great source or protein. Have you tried Nexium? I had the exact same problem with my stomach and had tried everything, except Nexium.. only figures that the last thing to try would be the one that worked.
I just looked it and it looks like its for acid reflux? Which I don't have. But I have an appt with my gastro this weekend. We'll see what he says.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Not worrying about portion size and your exercise routine are two of the worst pieces of advice I've seen on here in a while.. How could a person possibly expect to lose weight if they eat any portion size they want? and every "diet" always includes exercise. Leading a sedentary lifestyle combined with large portion sizes will only guarantee an early death and quite a few wonderful diseases (like diabetes).
I'm all for reducing carbs, but you have to insert at least a little logic into the equation...

The OP definitely needs to increase their protein intake, though. A vegetable/fruit diet alone isn't going to help anything.
Lighten up. She's trying to lose 15 pounds not 150 and said she's already exercising so she's not sedentary. I was merely suggesting it was her diet, not her exercise plan that she needs to work on. Also, on a low carb/high fat diet your body will pretty much self-regulate the amount you eat so you don't have to "worry" as much about restricting portion size as you would on a traditional low fat type of diet where you're hungrier most of the time. Believe me, I know of which I speak.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-23-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
Odd diet...........mostly fruits and veggies.........and veggie patties..............huh?? Well, the amount of FIBER you are eating could be part of your problem, too much is known to cause bloating. Fructose, which is in large amounts in fruit is known to cause bloating also. No MEAT..............I have never heard of anyone getting bloating from meat........maybe give that one a try.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,721,387 times
You should go to a nutritionist. Diet changes always result in gastro issues though. But your diet needs to be fixed big time. If you are not eating meat you HAVE to eat complete proteins. But the nutritionist will help you figure out the gastro issue and lose that weight.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I should have written mainly fruits and veggies. Breakfasts are usually an apple or banana with green tea. Lunches are salads, veggies patties with mixed veggies on the side, snacks are chips, nuts and dried fruit or apples or rice cakes with peanute butter. Dinner are popcorn, apples with peanut butter, salads or chips with salsa. I'm more of a snacker that a large meal eater.

And I don't count all calories but have a general idea of what I consume because I basically eat the same things and eat small portions no larger than my hand.
Oh heck..no wonder your stomach is upset:

Quote:
Breakfasts are usually an GAS apple or GAS banana with GAS green tea. Lunches are GAS salads, veggies patties with mixed veggies on the side, snacks are chips, GAS nuts and dried fruit or GAS apples or rice cakes with peanute butter. Dinner are popcorn, GAS apples with peanut butter, GAS salads or chips with salsa.
If you're already eating other fruits during the day, have NO apples at all. If you are not having any other fruits during the day, have ONE apple that day, period. Apples are VERY gassy! And so is lettuce and green tea, and bananas can do strange things to the digestive system if you're on a mostly veggie diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss