Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a growing opinion among many that artificial sweeteners and petrochem additives in junk food add to obesity, diabetes and high B/P.

I have seen documentaries where medical professionals were interviewed and they clearly stated that in their opinions these additives are to blame for our growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes.

I have seen one documentary where they tracked these diseases in a confined population that underwent a blockade of all imported junk-foods. Those diseases became extinct, they are gone from that society. [It is a pretty cool documentary].

It is possible that there have not been any double-blind studies done by industry-supported universities and published in appropriate journals.

Different people have different levels of 'scientific evidence' that they each need to form their own opinion.
Any link between artificial sweeteners and adverse health effects is strictly correlation. No causation between the two exist, and biologically speaking, would be nearly impossible. Take for example, the natural-freak's favorite whipping boy, aspartame. Every legitimate scientific study conducted on that substance for literally 30 years shows that it is completely safe and harmless, yet pull up any thread on here and you'd think it was spawned from satan himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM

198 posts, read 483,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Cow's milk is not essential..why would I comsume it?

I do eat meat. I limit my beef intake. I eat goat and venison..easier to digest and much leaner meat.

I do eat fruit and veggies..I eat as many of these items as I can tolerate each day. My goal is to have one fruit and one veggie with each meal and snack everyday..some days I hit that goal, some days, not so much.

I can find calcium, protein and vit C in other sources than cow's milk..or as I l ike to call it..."pus laden swill" Too many chemicals and things are being given to our dairy cows and it all comes out in the milk and when you consume the milk...you consume a part of everything that went into that cow. No thanks.

We've been a milk free family for 25 yrs...no issues..no complaints..no health problems...cow's milk is not needed in anyone's diet.
I have to agree with SwedishViking on this one. Assuming you are not overweight and looking to limit calories, milk can be a great choice. Indeed, the ability to digest milk in adulthood is actually the result of a beneficial genetic mutation. From an evolutionary perspective it makes sense; more calories can be obtained from a cow by continually milking it than by killing it and eating it. Until very recently in human history calories were at a premium, and any mutation that would have allowed a person to comfortably digest milk would have been an advantage. So hey, if you can digest milk (i.e. you are not lactose intolerant) why not take advantage of it? I'll take a cold glass of milk over a diet soda any day.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Take for example, the natural-freak's favorite whipping boy, aspartame. Every legitimate scientific study conducted on that substance for literally 30 years shows that it is completely safe and harmless, yet pull up any thread on here and you'd think it was spawned from satan himself.

It took me awhile to put 2 & 2 together but aspertame gives me wicked headaches. I'm not saying it's bad for you (as in long term side effects) but I see no reason to mess with it.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
It took me awhile to put 2 & 2 together but aspertame gives me wicked headaches. I'm not saying it's bad for you (as in long term side effects) but I see no reason to mess with it.
It's not the aspartame. There was a pretty significant study done on this awhile back and it showed no connection between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss