Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times

Advertisements

My oldest sister had it and had lost 100 lbs. If the band comes off, I think she would gain it right back as her eating habits haven't changed, just the portions she can manage to eat have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
My oldest sister had it and had lost 100 lbs. If the band comes off, I think she would gain it right back as her eating habits haven't changed, just the portions she can manage to eat have.
Can we conclude as long as the band stays on, she won't overeat? If so, then what is the problem?

I wonder if a lot of people were opposed to teeth braces when they came out.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
hoping you are still reading this thread...wondering how it's been going after a year and a half for you. Thinking of having this done but worried about failure.
Sorry, not on this hardly ever anymore.. I'm coming up on the three year anniversary and nothing has really changed. I still weigh exactly what I weighed in the previous post and that seems to be the weight I will stay at forever. My tastes are still crazy, but I'm no longer addicted to the weight loss thing and now just live my life as normal as possible. I don't get the weight thing, though. I haven't been able to run hardly at all now that I'm in a MUCH colder climate, but the weight doesn't change, ever. Sometimes I'll "feel fat" and am sure I gained at least 5 pounds, but every time I get on the scale it's within a couple ounces of the exact same weight. Guess that means the doctors actually knew what they were talking about when they said your body will get to a point and then settle in. Didn't think it was possible and it doesn't really make sense, but I'm not complaining one bit and am thankful every day for the new opportunity on life I was given.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Girl at work had it done a few months ago. She continuall stuffs her face with chips and cake and then runs to the bathroom and pukes. She does not look like she has lost any weight to me. I think she has other problems than just being overweight though. She got written up last week for stealing someones peanut butter and then throwing the empty container in someone elses trash so it would look like they stole it.

Yea, what she has is an eating disorder.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yea, what she has is an eating disorder.
The pouch that is now her stomach cannot handle a lot of food, that is why she gets sick. She is defeating the purpose of the surgery.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
omigawd...I have a very, very close friend who just (two weeks ago) had surgery. She got the gastric sleeve...I personally feel this is the best weight loss surgery to have, if you must. There's a HUGE amount of preparation to go through first, but for her it was worth it. She's now losing weight, and other than being a little tender still (she had it done laparascopically), she's feeling positive and getting around...I'm very excited for her.....https://www.google.ca/search?q=gastr...8EqPuKAojFgJAJ

Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
omigawd...I have a very, very close friend who just (two weeks ago) had surgery. She got the gastric sleeve...I personally feel this is the best weight loss surgery to have, if you must. There's a HUGE amount of preparation to go through first, but for her it was worth it. She's now losing weight, and other than being a little tender still (she had it done laparascopically), she's feeling positive and getting around...I'm very excited for her.....https://www.google.ca/search?q=gastr...8EqPuKAojFgJAJ
I agree. I have two friends (one an RN) who had the sleeve. The trick is to get insurance to pay. Need a BMI over 40 or BMI 35 + one pre morbidity. Might be worth switching insurance at open enrollment at work for example from an HMO to PPO.

The sleeve is just about as close to a silver bullet as there is.

A chronically overwieght person can get the sleeve and be done with 98% of the problem OR they can try diet number 69 OR "learn to make wise eating decisions" OR just have more willpower for the next 50 years OR "change their lifestyle" OR simply change their genes.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
The Roux-en-Y (gastric bypass) is referred to as the gold standard for many good reasons. One day the band or sleeve may surpass it, but that day won't be here any time soon..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
A person can sabotage these surgeries and thus their weight loss. I know someone that had lapband and lost 80 lbs. She has now gained 40 lbs back. She eats many more small meals a day than she should. She also takes in a lot of liquid calories with specialty coffee with whipped cream and ice cream/shakes. Anything really soft like that goes through the system much fast and so people can eat more of it. If she were to eat a small hamburger she could only eat 1/2 and she'd be full, but if she goes to Dairy Queen she can eat a large Blizzard.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Being overwight and having diabetes i talked to my doctor about bariatric surgery, he said going by the patients he knows he cant recommend it as being very successful and says its a band-aid solution at best for obese and chronic over-eaters of crappy food, he said a better option is confronting your diet and your food addiction, he recommends sensible eating habits and portion control along the lines of the south beach diet and a diet incorporating some aspects of a paleo diet,
He said a crappy dietary lifestyle of fast food and processed pseudo food will probably not be solved by surgery and any benefits derived from the surgery will most likely be temporary at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss