Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,531 times

Advertisements

You will get sagging skin when you gain or loss weight quickly. To get rid of this you can follow massage therapy, skin care treatments, consume nutrients for skin and if all this fails then go for surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,161,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Flesh is very elastic. If you are a young person (and most people who have children are under 40), your skin has a lot of elasticity. Also, when you are pregnant you are only "really big" for the last month or two. Not for the whole 9 months.

People who are obese have USUALLY been obese for a very long time (years and years and years). This coupled with the fact that many times they are older and their skin has lost a lot of their elasticity. Keep in mind also that they amount of stretching is significantly greater than being pregnant. Many obese people have gained HUNDREDS of pounds whereas most women usually gain around 30 - 40 pounds with a pregnancy (and 10 of that is baby and fluid).

Once you stretch skin out as far as it will go, it looses its ability to spring back. So if you have been very large and lose a lot of weight, you are going to have to have surgery to remove the excess skin. There really isn't any other solution.

20yrsinBranson
Branson is right. In most cases surgery is the only viable option. The women you speak of, who've had multiple children and wear 2pc swim suits are the exception, not the rule. There is a fair difference in being stretched for 9 months as opposed to say 9 years (or more).

Skin is not unlike a rubber band. If you stretch it to it's max and hold it like that for a certain period of time, it will not snap back. In fact it will usually break. Skin tissue is no different.

Plus not all rubber bands are created equal. Same for people and their skin.

Sorry, I know you were looking for something else, but this is just how it is.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
I lost about 180 pounds starting when I was 43 and nobody (that doesn't know me) can guess I did because my skin just snapped back, without surgery. Even doctors like the urologist I saw a couple weeks ago are shocked when they find out I had the surgery; you just can't tell at all. Surgery to remove the excess skin would be my last resort and I would still probably decide against it because of all the danger involved. What I did was run a lot outside, walked a lot outside, and I lotion the hell out of my entire body every day; mostly cocoa butter lotion. Like I said, you really can't tell unless I lean over and don't have a shirt on. That's when the stomach skin starts to come out a little, but it's really not bad at all. I can even see the stomach muscles starting to form the beginning of a six pack, which is something I never thought would happen.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I lost about 180 pounds starting when I was 43 and nobody (that doesn't know me) can guess I did because my skin just snapped back, without surgery. Even doctors like the urologist I saw a couple weeks ago are shocked when they find out I had the surgery; you just can't tell at all. Surgery to remove the excess skin would be my last resort and I would still probably decide against it because of all the danger involved. What I did was run a lot outside, walked a lot outside, and I lotion the hell out of my entire body every day; mostly cocoa butter lotion. Like I said, you really can't tell unless I lean over and don't have a shirt on. That's when the stomach skin starts to come out a little, but it's really not bad at all. I can even see the stomach muscles starting to form the beginning of a six pack, which is something I never thought would happen.
Its nothing you did, you just have good genes. Lotion will not do anything for sagging skin. It will soften your skin, but it will not bring its elasticity back.
You are fortunate at the age of 43 to have such resilient skin. It makes me think besides the good genes that you probably eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,161,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its nothing you did, you just have good genes. Lotion will not do anything for sagging skin. It will soften your skin, but it will not bring its elasticity back.
You are fortunate at the age of 43 to have such resilient skin. It makes me think besides the good genes that you probably eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water.
Definitely the exception and not the rule. Count your lucky stars! I'm not yet 40, and lost 120 odd lbs and my body is a train wreck. All the exercise in the world wont help skin that as lost is snap.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
I can see some of it being luck and a little bit of genes, but I'm thinking most of it has to do with my new found ways of taking care of my body instead of abusing it.. I suppose we'll never know for sure, but the worst thing cocoa butter lotion can do to you is make you smell good.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,254,846 times
Although I dieted many times over the years, I never successfully dieted until after I was in my mid-fifties. Now age 62, I have lost 93 pounds, slowly, on purpose. If my skin was going to snap back, I would think it would have, since I purposely diet very, very slowly.

It is disappointing to have all that wrinkled, sagging skin on my arms, thighs, bottom, and stomach. But I must consider the alternative: all that skin . . . . filled!

The fact is that I am seeing a little slow change in my abdomen. I am gaining a little hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss