Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 10,681 times

Advertisements

Hey CD!

Since graduating from college 2 years ago I have been focusing on having a healthy and consistent exercise routine. One thing always stops me though: the fact that after doing the same thing every time (running on a treadmill for 30+ mins) I have been told that this does absolutely nothing for me after an undetermined amount of time. I keep thinking to myself: How do I know if what I'm doing is bringing down my weight and improving my health at all? I don't want to try variety...I like running on the treadmill! It's simple and easy...I never know when I'm really doing work on the elliptical.

I have tried ITT but all of the websites say something different about it. Does anyone have a tried and true detailed graph of time and speeds? Won't my body eventually get used to this routine as well? Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
It's not true that it will do "absolutely nothing" for you. If you keep on with your routine, you'll be way, way better off than folks who don't exercise. There's solid research out there to indicate that huge benefits come from achieving just what you're doing.

Your status quo is good, and your body will continue to appreciate it. That said, your muscles will become more efficient and if you want to continue to see fitness improvement, you'll need to throw some other things in the mix. Boosted intervals and/or strength training are the best way to go. Boosted intervals, ie, working in some sprints or inclines, seems the logical next step. Every so often, up your speed for a minute or two, then drop back. A google search using treadmill and intervals will give you some things to try.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkblossom View Post
Hey CD!

Since graduating from college 2 years ago I have been focusing on having a healthy and consistent exercise routine. One thing always stops me though: the fact that after doing the same thing every time (running on a treadmill for 30+ mins) I have been told that this does absolutely nothing for me after an undetermined amount of time. I keep thinking to myself: How do I know if what I'm doing is bringing down my weight and improving my health at all? I don't want to try variety...I like running on the treadmill! It's simple and easy...I never know when I'm really doing work on the elliptical.

I have tried ITT but all of the websites say something different about it. Does anyone have a tried and true detailed graph of time and speeds? Won't my body eventually get used to this routine as well? Ugh.
You should strive to challenge yourself when exercising. The body adapts pretty quickly to any given routine so you must (if you want to be in optimal shape) continually look for ways to challenge yourself. If you run for 30 minutes on the treadmill why not run for 45? Or better yet set it at an incline, or do interval work where you are running fast for short bursts of time. You can start running outside and go for mileage. Train for a 5k, 10k or 1/2 marathon. Start weight training which will really give you a boost. Hire a trainer at your gym for a session or two to get you started on some new exercises.
If you are on the elliptical and you cannot tell whether you are getting a good workout or not then you are not. You know it when you are getting a good workout by the amount of effort you put into it.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Ways to push that 30 minute treadmill run so that you get the most out of it:

1. Keep track of your heart rate. It should be within whatever range is considered "athletic" for your height, current weight, and age. If it goes over, slow down *or* decrease the incline. If it goes under, go faster, or kick the incline up a level or two.

2. Put the incline at whatever level poses a challenge to you. It shouldn't be agonizing, but you should be sweating before you hit the halfway mark of 15 minutes.

3. Don't hold the handlebars except when you're checking your heart rate (assuming the bars have them). Instead, pump your arms, just as if you were jogging on the road.

4. If 1, 2, and 3 still doesn't "feel" like you're getting a workout, then find ankle weights and wrist weights. I haven't seen any in ages but I have to assume they still exist somewhere. They're very tightly-bound flat tubes of compacted sand that strap around your wrists and ankles; usually in just 1/2 pound to 1-pounds max. This will create a slight imbalance when you run, which your body has to work harder to correct, thus burning more calories. Rocker sneakers (like those Skechers Shapeups that do -not- make you lose weight or tone your muscles but -do- rock and require more care to keep yourself balanced) are useful for treadmill jogging as well for the same reason.

5. If you have a clip-on or wrist-wrap heart monitor and don't need to put your hands on the handlebars to check your heart rate, grab a couple of 2-pound or 5-pound dumbbells and run while holding those. If you don't have dumbbells and don't want to buy them, hold a couple of 16-ounce cans of whatever's in the kitchen cupboard.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 PM

I have to comment on the ankle and wrist weights. They are not good to use at all. You can injure yourself with those pretty easily. A weighted vest is a better idea since the increased weight evenly distributed. But I say skip them all and do resistance training instead.
And if you run, wear running shoes.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have to comment on the ankle and wrist weights. They are not good to use at all. You can injure yourself with those pretty easily. A weighted vest is a better idea since the increased weight evenly distributed. But I say skip them all and do resistance training instead.
And if you run, wear running shoes.
I've never seen anyone change their shoes at the gym, after running the treadmill. Most people wear what looks to me like normal sneaker-type sneakers - one guy wears funky shock-absorber spring Nike jumping thingies but it's comical because he mostly just stands there lifting weights, and doesn't do any of the cardio stuff.

I've found the rockers especially good for moving around, they distribute the weight differently, and it sort of propels you forward when you're running or speed-walking. Normal walking, you get used to it quickly so you don't even notice a difference, except you feel more resistance on the backs of your thighs, and less pressure on your knees and shins.

As for the ankle/wrist weights, I just remember having a pair of shoes that came with their own ankle weights. They actually zipped onto the sneakers themselves, so they didn't ever move around. I had wrist weights that I used too for awhile but my wrists sweated under them and made them smell funny so I eventually stopped using them.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM

I think any kind of gym shoes are fine for just about everything except running. I think the possibility of injuring yourself wearing rockers while running is probably pretty significant. Running for a few minutes is no big thing, but if she is running for 30 solid minutes she should have some decent running shoes. And they are really important for running outside.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM

She's running on a treadmill. There's no sharp stones to trip over, or hard pavement, or divies in the grass, or barking dogs to suddenly veer away from. It's a controlled atmosphere in which she doesn't actually GO anywhere. She's running in place. You can do that barefoot, or wearing zorries. You really don't need running shoes to run on a treadmill. Really. The possibility of injuring yourself while wearing rockers *for the first time without learning how to run in them gradually* is significant. The possibility of injury for people who have been wearing them for months and have learned how to adjust their balance for the shoes is no more or less than anyone wearing whatever shoes they're most comfortable running in, on a treadmill.

Yes, outdoor running, as in, running *from* point A *to* point B, and not on a treadmill, is significantly different, and would need something more suitable for running.

However, remember that people were running before "running shoes" were invented. They were called sneakers, and were all-purpose and athletes and marathon runners all wore similar types of shoes because the "types" of shoes were limited. The shoes didnt cause injuries. Only the comfort level of the person wearing them caused injuries. If you are uncomfortable running, then you're likely to get hurt doing it.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Its true people were running before running shoes were invented, but there is a reason they were invented. To prevent injury and and to enhance performance. A lot of people are trying and liking the minimalist running shoe these days, but its a matter of getting used to, and these are experienced runners. Pronators and supinators do much better with shoes that conform to their styles of foot strike. And why not suggest a shoe that will enhance a persons running experience and prevent injury? And lots of people do not like running in the beginning, but when they press on they adapt to it. A good shoe helps with the process. Talk to any distance runner and see what they have to say about proper footwear. I know a whole lot of distance runners and I buy my running shoes from a running store that has a very experienced staff.
Seems to me just with the suggestion of ankle and wrist weights that you need to do more research on exercise as a whole. No disrespect meant, but giving people damaging information helps no one.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Again, distance running and treadmill running are not the same thing. This OP is running on a treadmill. Running shoes are not neceessary for running on a treadmill. Running shoes are meant for people who are running on hard, non-moving surfaces which might or might not be flat, but are most often some kind of concrete or pavement. Like - road racing, and track running. That's what running shoes are designed to facilitate most efficiently.

Treadmills are not hard surfaces. They're not concrete, they're not pavement. They have hand-holds, which sidewalks, streets, and race tracks lack.

Running shoes would probably get great for a treadmill. As would rockers, as would Nike basketball high-tops, as would Ked's as would those dumb looking toe-sock shoes.

No one has to buy a seperate pair of shoes just so they can run on a treadmill. I mean you're not even gonna scuff those things out like you would if you ran on the road or the track. The movement is DIFFERENT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss