Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love my bacon on the weekend! I cook it perfectly in the oven, thick cut, either hardwood smoked or cracked pepper style, and render almost all the fat out. But I eat this on only one day per week. I do love my cheese and butter though, and eat it every day, mostly at breakfast (with my whole grain bread and cup of berries). My dinner is usually a lean protein and large mixed greens salad, with perhaps a small pasta dish once per week.
My downfall is nuts - I love them and eat way too many of them despite my best intentions!

As to the diet plate linked- yes, mostly common sense eating. A couple small things I disagree with but easy enough to tweak.
According to the Harvard plate, you can eat as many as you want. I sure wouldn't, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Anything that says "avoid bacon" is no good. All kidding aside, even bacon has a place in a balanced diet.
I soooo have your back on this one!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
According to the Harvard plate, you can eat as many as you want. I sure wouldn't, though.
Yeah you're definitely not reading the same link as the one the OP linked to. Or maybe you're not reading any link at all and just making it up.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah you're definitely not reading the same link as the one the OP linked to. Or maybe you're not reading any link at all and just making it up.
"Choose fish, poultry, beans, and nuts." I'm being kind of a pest here, I realize that, I just want to make the point that this thing still suffers from the same problem as all these things do: effectively labeling foods "good" or "bad."

Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
Quote:
"Choose fish, poultry, beans, and nuts." I'm being kind of a pest here, I realize that, I just want to make the point that this thing still suffers from the same problem as all these things do: effectively labeling foods "good" or "bad."

Maybe because there are good and bad foods? lol -- I don't know how what you quoted gets stretched to be "eat as many nuts as you like" -- In any case if you wanted to take it to an extreme - you could eat as many nuts as would fill up your protein portion.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Maybe because there are good and bad foods? lol -- I don't know how what you quoted gets stretched to be "eat as many nuts as you like" -- In any case if you wanted to take it to an extreme - you could eat as many nuts as would fill up your protein portion.
And that's the same as filling it up with only chicken or fish, right? As long as I don't eat beef I'm cool, right? The whole framework is silly -- and substantially contradicts my personal experience.

And if there are "good" and "bad" foods, then do you believe canola oil is a good food and butter is a bad food? I sure as hell don't. I'm going to eat what my great-grandparents ate, not some industrial oil used by restaurants because it's cheaper and it appeases vegans and other people who are afraid of saturated fat.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
And that's the same as filling it up with only chicken or fish, right? As long as I don't eat beef I'm cool, right? The whole framework is silly -- and substantially contradicts my personal experience.
It doesn't say to not eat beef. It says you can *include* beef. Why are you continuing your rant against something that doesn't exist?

There is nothing on that website that says "you can't have meat." There is nothing on that website that suggests you can "eat all the nuts you want."

You CAN have meat, in modest portions, as a *part* of your daily protein intake. The thing recommends limiting meat, not eliminating meat.

You do understand what the word "limit" means right? And how "limit" doesn't mean "eliminate?" Maybe you're not a natural english-speaker...the two words mean different things.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
The recommendations for red meat are always vague......they suggest you "limit". But why? Because its correlated with disease. So why not avoid? Because they have to walk a fine line between science and the beef industry's henchman... Same with dairy, its "limit dairy"...

Anyhow, the USDA recommendations aren't serious........and never have been. And there is a growing conscious what you should be eating: a diet rich in whole plant foods with no or low amounts of whole animal foods. Where as how much fat consumption is "healthy" and similar issues aren't nearly as settled...

tribecavsbrowns wants to eat all the red meat, bacon, etc his heart desires.....just leave it at that.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The recommendations for red meat are always vague......they suggest you "limit". But why? Because its correlated with disease. So why not avoid? Because they have to walk a fine line between science and the beef industry's henchman... Same with dairy, its "limit dairy"...

Anyhow, the USDA recommendations aren't serious........and never have been. And there is a growing conscious what you should be eating: a diet rich in whole plant foods with no or low amounts of whole animal foods. Where as how much fat consumption is "healthy" and similar issues aren't nearly as settled...

tribecavsbrowns wants to eat all the red meat, bacon, etc his heart desires.....just leave it at that.
Beef in moderation is not correlated with disease. Nice scare tactic though.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Beef in moderation is not correlated with disease. Nice scare tactic though.
Except that it is.....

"Every extra daily serving of unprocessed red meat (steak, hamburger, pork, etc.) increased the risk of dying prematurely by 13%. Processed red meat (hot dogs, sausage, bacon, and the like) upped the risk by 20%. The results were published in the Archives of Internal Medicine."

What?s the beef with red meat? - Harvard Health Publications

But I get it, you want to believe that the "food groups" defined by corporate America via the USDA represent good wholesome foods rather than the self-interest of the businesses involved. But that isn't what the research says.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss